Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20

Author Topic: The Horror Thread  (Read 38347 times)

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
Re: The Horror Thread
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2011, 01:27:13 am »

The other things is the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series. The stories aren't that scary, ranging from humorous to campfire ghost stories to urban legends, with a few genuinely disturbing tidbits mixed in. But the illustrations...ye gods, the illustrations....those things burned holes in my brain when I read it in elementary school. And it should be stressed -- these are children's books.

We had copies of those in our school library. They scared me so much back in 2nd grade!  :'(
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2011, 02:17:44 am »

Ooh, old thread.

The scariest part of Dr. Who for me is the Angels.  I can even pinpoint exactly why.  I'm scared of things that can attack me when I'm not aware of them, especially ones that only attack then.  Things that only move when you're not looking, or only stalk you when you're asleep.  Which reminds me of one of the better creepypastas I know.

http://www.creepypasta.com/the-rake/
http://community.fearnet.com/_The-Pale-Face/BLOG/2573906/40602.html
Ok, that first one is the one I was talking about, and the second one is the only other creepypasta that has actually scared me.  Others are creepy, but I'm fine with them.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2011, 03:06:08 pm »

I love the cheesy computer simulation. It scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. Now, when I think about it, I can only see the cheesiness, which seems to be suggesting that my high regard for The Thing is mostly nostalgia-driven.

I didn't know they even used computer animation in the Thing.
Oh, I meant the simulation one of the scientists runs on his computer in the movie. The silly thing with purple blobs of pixelated "cells" eating the blue ones or something. He watches this animation, that he coded himself, with that extremally worried expression on his face, as if seeing exactly what he programmed gave him some profound insight into the whole thing(i.e.Thing).
I mean, he was like if he had written <print "hello world">, and then went all "Holy crap this is some powerful shit I made".

So that's what I meant, and not the monster effects which were most probably all animatronic.

I'd say it's more like he typed <print "hello world"> and then said "Oh fuck my computer's talking to me."
Shoes...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2011, 03:15:35 pm »

Yes, thank you. I couldn't quite put it into words, and that's much more like it.
Anyway, scared the crap out of me when I was a wee little kid.

Cuppsworth

• Bay Watcher
  • Cuppy Cuppsworth, Baron of Prague
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2011, 12:49:11 am »

Yes, thank you. I couldn't quite put it into words, and that's much more like it.
Anyway, scared the crap out of me when I was a wee little kid.

I remember watching the part with the blood test conclusion for the first time. Staring wide-eyed at the TV. That movie had some damn fine effects considering the era and what they had to work with. Can you imagine if it were made today? Every scene would have a green screen.
Cuppsworth has turned into the 'penny pincher'.

After the great trauma of having some one steal one penny from him he has invented a alter ego who stocks the night and fights crime in the city of Gotham Penny-Villa. With his faithful ward buck boy he strikes fear into the hearts of petty criminals everywhere.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2011, 12:40:24 pm »

Rec and Rec 2 are both actual scary zombie movies and damn good if they havent been mentioned, there are a couple of great aussie horror films called wolf creek (serial killer in the outback killing tourists)  and Van diemens Land : true story, 9 convicts escape in tasmania back in the day with nothing but 1 axe between them, bugger all food, they get hungry so turn to cannibalism, ends up with 2 guys looking at each other desperately trying not to fall asleep.  Rather good.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2011, 12:50:51 pm »

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is very scary as heck. I remember the times when my brothers coaxed me to play it, since it was the last day, the day before we decided to get our monitor fixed (it was broken, it'd barely turn on.).

Because of that, I was forced to play the whole game in one sitting. ONE SITTING.

Let's just say I was barely coherent after that.

PS: Just now, I saw a figure in the shadows outside my window. It didn't have a head.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2011, 12:12:46 am »

Bumping this with a little game called Ao Oni.
Spoiler: screenshot (click to show/hide)
You solve puzzles and run the fuck away from a giant blue monster.

You can download the game here and the tvtrope page is here.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 10, 2011, 06:12:39 am »

Oh god
I'm watching a playthrough of the game right now, ToonyMan
I tried playing it but it won't let me because I'm missing RGSS103J.dll D:
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2011, 02:20:04 pm »

"Flowers for Algernon", or rather the second half of the story. It's a perfect window into what I think it would be like to have a degenerative neurological condition like Alzheimer's or dementia, and to be cognizant enough that you know you're losing your intellect and you can't stop it. That shit scares the f**k out of me, because it's a very real-life threat, and one of those things that's a personal nightmare of mine.

I never really thought the middle was scary, the end was disturbing as shit though. He knows that he used to be a genius, and was able to read the book (Treasure Island? my memory is fuzzy.). He knows that no matter how hard he tries, he will never be able to read it again.

The scariest thing I've ever seen would have to be Marble Hornets. I know it's not real, but it scares the fuck out of me. There's one moment in particular, where Milo is sitting in the house. He points the camera out of the window, and Slendy Flies past the window and breaks into the house.

Tribe twelve has the one where Noah runs after his cousin and drops the camera in the house, and it Centers on the slendy, as the camera fuzzes out.

Moreso with SCP 106, or the grandfather. He's a Half rotten man, who has the ability to teleport at will, and they can barely contain him. He takes his victims into a pocket-dimension, that contains his apartment. They never say what happens, as the entire thing is mostly [DATA REDACTED], but This is a picture of an agent who was captured by 106. He survived for one hour afterwards.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 02:22:02 pm by ggamer »

Vault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2011, 02:38:41 pm »

I prefer my horror oldschool; H.P Lovecraft's The Beast in the Cave.

Because getting chased around in a pitch black environment by a thing that you can only hear is far more terrifying than the gorefests that seem to have taken over horror movies. :D Not that those movies can't be scarey in their own right.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2011, 02:53:38 pm »

I agree that the unseen is a lot more scary than what is shone. Whenever I finally see the monster of a gorefest, my salvation war syndrome wakes up and I become confident that it's killable with sufficient firepower.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 10, 2011, 02:58:19 pm »

Oh god
I'm watching a playthrough of the game right now, ToonyMan
I tried playing it but it won't let me because I'm missing RGSS103J.dll D:
The game really is terrifying.  The plot even changes between versions.
There's,
Version 1-2 plot
Version 3 plot
Version 4-5 plot
Version 6 plot

Collect them all!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 10, 2011, 03:53:22 pm »

Well, Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni didn't scare me, so much as creep me the fuck out. Also, I agree with whoever it was that mentioned 28 Weeks Later, about it being a rather good subversion of the normal horror/zombie formula, which in itself was scarier than the zombies (and that scene on the escalator with the nightvision was really fucking scary the first time) . The scene in Alien where they're in the really foggy egg room on the planet gets me, too. Also: The Thing.

OTOH, most modern 'horror' doesn't scare me, mainly because of the lack of subtlety; for the most part it can be summed up as "lolol gorn". The best horror for me is the kind built around atmosphere and suspense, because I tend to stop being scared once the monster/killer/curse/whatever is shown onscreen, usually because I start laughing at it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 10, 2011, 07:57:01 pm »

A friend gave me this years ago, and it's still the creepiest-sounding song I've ever encountered:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIL46hE7AVE

I had to upload it myself (ugh) because it's so damned obscure.

Rough translation of the lyrics:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20