Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Pakistan to CIA: Hit the road, Jack  (Read 13384 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pakistan to CIA: Hit the road, Jack
« Reply #150 on: April 16, 2011, 09:52:11 am »

I believe the CIA will withdraw only some of the ones you can see and mostly leave the ones you can't see behind, while replacing those guys with more you can't see.

Fun facts.
*snip*
Looking at that website... Yea, no sovereign country would want to deal with that shit.   Though, I wonder if down the line... the US will find a reason to also Drone Strike Mexico in the 'War on Drugs'.... 
The US is obviously paying the big bucks, among other things, for the chance to go pewpew on what looks like bad guys.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 16, 2011, 12:26:18 pm »

So... anyone taking issue with my argument and conclusion? Or are we just going to take casual swipes at if the CIA can afford plane tickets for all of its operatives?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 16, 2011, 12:27:39 pm »

So... anyone taking issue with my argument and conclusion? Or are we just going to take casual swipes at if the CIA can afford plane tickets for all of its operatives?

Frankly I would prefer to just sit back and make fun of the CIA.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2011, 12:28:21 pm »

hur hur, CIA am little gurls?
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2011, 12:34:48 pm »

I gotta be honest, I've been trying to follow along, and I have no idea what your "argument" actually is, aside from responding to other people's arguments.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 16, 2011, 12:36:36 pm »

lawls teh cia ar noobs and cannot stop anon-

[CLIENT TERMINATED BY SYSOP]
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 16, 2011, 01:33:39 pm »

I gotta be honest, I've been trying to follow along, and I have no idea what your "argument" actually is, aside from responding to other people's arguments.
*nods agreement.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2011, 02:39:55 pm »

Though, I wonder if down the line... the US will find a reason to also Drone Strike Mexico in the 'War on Drugs'.... 

We've got some unarmed (at least I think they're unarmed?) drones doing border surveillance.  They work quite well.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 16, 2011, 02:56:08 pm »

Though, I wonder if down the line... the US will find a reason to also Drone Strike Mexico in the 'War on Drugs'.... 

We've got some unarmed (at least I think they're unarmed?) drones doing border surveillance.  They work quite well.
I would be willing to bet that the difference between an armed and unarmed drone is about 10 minutes with the ground crew.  I have a suspicion that the unarmed drones are simply and quietly collecting information and at the same time proving their effectiveness so that the case can be made to arm them.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 16, 2011, 03:00:15 pm »

Well, right now they're mostly just going "Hey, look over there!" to the ground teams, who do the actual arresting.  I'm not sure if they really need weapons, to be honest.  Missiles are expensive, and the drones themselves cost enough already.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 17, 2011, 06:00:43 am »

And shooting missiles at illegal immigrant seems like an extreme, if effective, way to stop immigration.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 17, 2011, 09:21:55 am »

Ineffective I daresay. Most immigrants (and I'm talking in general, not just the US ones) are already running quite big risks. I doubt a few predator drones would deter them further.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 18, 2011, 12:30:46 am »

And shooting missiles at illegal immigrant seems like an extreme, if effective, way to stop immigration.

Just for the giggles, assuming 100% target aquisition, five illegal aliens hit per strike on average, and no changes in behavior, it would take 720,000 Hellfire missiles at $100,000 a missile for $72,000,000,000 to kill 3,600,000 illegal immigrants.

For comparison, concrete is about $200 a cubic meter, the border is 3,130,000 meters long and so at $626,000,000 per meter-thick, meter-high run... we could build a 115 meter tall concrete wall for the same amount of money.

We would, however, wind up pouring more concrete than the Maginot Line (360 million cubic meters compared to merely 1.5 million cubic meters). And somebody will just dig a tunnel and set up a toll booth.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 22, 2011, 12:09:20 am »

So back to the point.  For Urist and anyone else confused on the whole "America created the Taliban" (although it was more accurately al-Qaeda that the CIA created), look up pretty much anything related to Congressman Charlie Wilson, who spearheaded the effort to supply American weaponry and training to the anti-Soviet insurgency, or any books or reporting by Ahmed Rashid or Saira Shah.

Meanwhile, the Pakistani government and the CIA are still at loggerheads over the drone-strikes, but the mass spy-recall notice is more or less off the table.

I am reasonably familiar with that story, but I'm not clear on what the US relationship is with Pakistan with regards to India, former Soviet bloc countries and China.  I'd heard somewhere that one motive for going into Afghanistan was to pacify India who were worried about Pakistani militarism.  Also, there are hypotheses floating around about ISI involvement in 9/11 (requested by US).  America gives billions in military aid to Pakistan, just like Israel, has created the ISI-hydra and Pakistani nationalist-militarism... but to what end I have not the foggiest.  I can speculate on oil pipeline route control, or the threat of insurgency in west China, but that's guessing.

Can anybody explain why Pakistan is so crucial to the US (and thus, by implication, why an American withdrawal from Pakistan could be bad)?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 12:15:50 am by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 22, 2011, 01:23:48 am »

I'm inclined to question the effectiveness (and cost effectiveness) of using drone strikes to take out terrorist "leaders." I certainly feel that dropping a hundred grand to kill six guys in a truck in the middle of the desert is obscene, even if they're known to be hostiles for an absolute fact.

In terms of the CIA, I'd say they're not classy enough to be Bond villains and probably indeed have rapid evacuation plans. I'm not certain they have all-at-once rapid evacuation plans, however.

So no, looks good to me.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13