Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: jars, jugs, pots and barrels  (Read 11738 times)

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
jars, jugs, pots and barrels
« on: April 08, 2011, 07:43:58 pm »

i get confused about which is for what, they are all very similar, so i suggest merge some of them...

barrels-wood container for dry food, and wet food...though i suggest some sort of process to prepare a barrel for liquid use...but thats just a random idea
jars-glass, stone containers for wet and dry food
metal barrels-container for wet and dry food
clay jars(or jugs), container for dry food, needs preparation for use as wet food container

pots should just go away-i keep imagining a cooking pot...and you cant store anything in those, though thats my issue not the game's

also, let them be build in the different shops instead of the craftdwarf's shop. thank you.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: jars, jugs, pots and barrels
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 07:53:16 pm »

What's confusing? They all hold food and drink just as well as the next one. Pots cannot hold syrup, that's the only difference.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 08:13:43 pm »

pots cant hold honey...clay jugs have to be processed...just seems like it can be streamlined is all

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 08:16:55 pm »

What's confusing? They all hold food and drink just as well as the next one. Pots cannot hold syrup, that's the only difference.

I agree. In fact I think that the OP's proposed system is MORE confusing than the current one.

The only thing confusing about the current system is that jugs don't seem to be able to hold drinks for storage, but the only reason why this is any more confusiong than mugs not being used for drinks is that jugs have the LIQUID_CONTAINER token, and the optimal solution to that would be to rename LIQUID_CONTAINER to something a little bit less ambiguous.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 08:17:45 pm »

pots cant hold honey...clay jugs have to be processed...just seems like it can be streamlined is all

As for clay pots and jugs, I just don't use them. I make them out of rock instead.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 08:18:42 pm »

No, Earthenware jugs need to be glazed before they can hold a liquid.

Stoneware and porcelain jugs can be used as-is to hold honey.

Plain earthenware is porous before it is glazed, that's why.

Toady was trying to stay true to reality in this, and only went about halfway, at that, since there really need to be more glazes. 

Anyway, the problem with pots not holding honey is just a problem of the raws and the way the game treats containers in general - a jug and a large pot are basically the same thing, but the large pot is larger.  However, they hold entirely different types of materials.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 08:25:56 pm »

so then why can you make stone pots and jugs, if they are the same, why are there 2 different things?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 10:12:28 pm »

Because metal and stone chairs are called "thrones", while wooden chairs are called "chairs".

Wooden barrels are called "barrels" and stone or ceramic barrels are called "large pots".

They are entirely different if you get down to the details of how they are made - the way you construct a barrel is nothing at all like making a large ceramic pot. 

Yes, this creates some extra names, but it's not that hard to remember when "large pot" always means the same thing in-game.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 10:39:55 pm »

so then why can you make stone pots and jugs, if they are the same, why are there 2 different things?
This I actually agree with. I don't see what jugs add to the game at all and why their small role can't be handled by buckets and barrels/pots.

Beyond that, though, large pots are fine to me as long as the small number of issues where they don't perfectly emulate barrels are fixed.

Edit: In hindsight, why not just make jugs into ceramic / glass / stone 'buckets' and wrap their functions together? Seems to follow the pattern and prevent unnecessary bloat.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 04:13:07 am by Khift »

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 12:56:33 am »

Wooden barrels are called "barrels" and stone or ceramic barrels are called "large pots".

They are entirely different if you get down to the details of how they are made - the way you construct a barrel is nothing at all like making a large ceramic pot. 

Yes, this creates some extra names, but it's not that hard to remember when "large pot" always means the same thing in-game.
Now, if they were moved into the same category as barrels and were treated as stone barrels by the game through and through, I would be happy. As it is now, though, pots for some reason have their own category in the stockpiles, which I suppose means they are a different object class in the code, which creates all those opportunities for bugs and weird behavior.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 03:38:16 pm »

Now, if they were moved into the same category as barrels and were treated as stone barrels by the game through and through, I would be happy. As it is now, though, pots for some reason have their own category in the stockpiles, which I suppose means they are a different object class in the code, which creates all those opportunities for bugs and weird behavior.

They are a different class in the code - barrels are hardcoded, and large pots are in the raws.

Barrels hold 10 items, regardless of what those items are, but large pots have a storage capacity.

Toady is experimenting with moving things into the raws, and like all the stuff he's moving into the raws, it's a little buggy at first, but it still represents a step in the right direction.

I do wish we had a more variable set of raws, though - so that we can say "this item fits in buckets OR in jugs OR in barrels and large pots".
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 04:32:59 pm »

I'm most surprised at the ability to create large pots from stone. After needing hundreds of barrels and lots of wood to make them, this feels like cheating. Besides, I know what a barrel or ceramic container looks like, but stone? I've seen bowls, and plant pots made of stone, but nothing the size of a barrel. Dwarven syrup is troublesome to use for cooking, and I never plant it, so no big deal for me. Wood is now needed mostly for bins and beds (and small amounts of soap, training spears, and other stuff), so embarking in an area without dense forest seems somewhat more feasible. 
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 05:14:05 pm »

Yeah there really needs to be another step in creating them to balance it out. Plus it makes the game less Fun, whatever happened to flaming dwarf blowing up the food with his !!BEARD!! ? Now you won't lose a thing but the dwarf.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 06:59:04 pm »

Stone feels like cheating, but ceramics you at least work for - it takes a wood just to fire the large pot if it's ceramic, and if it's earthenware, it takes three wood to fire the large pot, glaze it, and fire the glaze. 

At least, if you have fire clay and a magma kiln, you had to pump or piston magma to the kiln to make the thing work before you get your "free stuff factory".
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 07:50:23 pm »

I like that you can make them from stone. And frankly I think that this makes more sense..
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: [1] 2