Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: jars, jugs, pots and barrels  (Read 11735 times)

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: jars, jugs, pots and barrels
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 08:22:00 am »

With regards to feeling like 'cheating', if you ask me I think it should be balanced out by effort. The concept of a large stone pot isn't that unreasonable (for most stones, at least), but it isn't going to be the fastest thing to make. It should take a seriously long time to make one, seeing as it'd be a subtractive process instead of additive. Balance it out by requiring half a dozen stoneworkers producing large pots around the clock if you wanted to use it as your sole food storage device.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 01:13:00 pm »

If it was balanced out more, I would support it, at them moment though. I would sooner suggest that they are removed then suggest that they were fixed.

It should take a long time, like above, or it should have another step. Better yet, they could store less. Barrels can hold what, ten things? Large pots should only be able to hold two or three. Secondly they shouldn't be able to hold alcohol.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 04:24:10 pm »

Huh? Remove? Why would someone remove a feature that a bunch of people likes? Because you dont like them? The previous posts explain why the pots act unusually, and why they are a good idea and NOT to be removed. And what they are, compared to the barrels. In fact, the fact that they are a part of raws, means that you can just go and edit them to be to your liking, and then you can play like you wish. Although they could remove that mandatory part of the game which forces you to use pots instead of barrels, seriously.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 07:56:25 pm »

Huh? Remove? Why would someone remove a feature that a bunch of people likes?

So far I see that most people are saying they think large pots are 'cheating' or in serious need of balance. Even in my gaming circle of friends, all but two of us agree that pots need to be reworked/removed. There's just to much stone in the world.

The previous posts explain why the pots act unusually, and why they are a good idea and NOT to be removed.

And I have a goldfish. Your point? We can there are more balanced ways of making jugs/pots that actually take work. As opposed to picking up one of the many, many hunks of stone and having a novice stonecrafter turn it into a jug. Plus once again, I only see a handful of reasons why they should be kept. Then most of those people go on to say that they want the pots to be more balanced.

the fact that they are a part of raws

Have you looked at the raws? You can't adjust how long it takes to make them, which is what we were debating.

-----

It's really it's just a balance issue, and you seem to have missed that in my previous posts. With wooden barrels, you need to venture outside or into the caverns, or wait until the traders show up and hope for wood. It's risky, but it's easy. With stoneware you need to spend a fair amount of resources to use it. Difficult, but it's safe.

But with stone? Just use one of the thousands of boulders you would otherwise crush under a drawbridge. It's easy, it's safe, completely unlike the other methods!

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 08:07:26 pm »

IT 000:
I only said I would remove stone large pots, I think clay large pots are fine.

As a whole, though, we need to rework stone in general, since it's supposedly a crucial resource, but it's actually something so absurdly common that we have to come up with ways to get rid of it.

Making mining in general slower would help slow down the super-over-abundance of stone.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 05:19:04 am »

maybe stone jars should not hold very much...or maybe theyre furniture you have to place and can never move, since a full size barrel made of stone would be several hundred pounds, not counting the liquids.  to "move" or deconstruct the giant jars, youd have to empty the container of course...maybe use a wheelbarrel-which is coming up maybe.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 12:13:05 pm »

Raws could/should allow you to set the item capacity. A lot of items already have a size, and even if we didnt want to bother making a size for all items, their current weight could be used. It wouldnt create any issue with light/hard material because it's food and drink anyway, and it's all pretty level as is. So, lets say, a pot with 50 weight worth capacity.

You missed one more important line from me.

Although they could remove that mandatory part of the game which forces you to use pots instead of barrels, seriously.

Shame that it went unnoticed, this amount of sarcasm would shatter windows. The age old gamer sentiment, "If it feels like an exploit, YOU DONT HAVE TO USE IT!"

"You know, this game has pots, they are really easy to make. And I dont like that; therefore they must be obliterated from the code! Nevermind the fact that I can just, you know, not use them... I want them gone, and gone for everyone. Stop having fun guys!"

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StopHavingFunGuys
▼ It's all their fault. ▼
Pages: 1 [2]