Poll

Is Goblin Camp a good game?

Yes
Pretty good
Meh
Not very good
Awful

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblin Camp - Ding! Update.  (Read 5565 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin Camp - Ding! Update.
« on: April 07, 2011, 08:46:56 pm »

Yeah, that game again.

For those of you who haven't heard, Goblin Camp is sort of like a less complex Dwarf Fortress with goblins and orcs in place of dwarves. I suggest you try it, it is actually very fun and you will have plenty of Fun the first few games.

It has a higher risk and reward aspect vs. Dwarf Fortress compared to complexity in my opinion.

http://www.goblincamp.com/

Changelog:

•Battlements allow your orcs to fire over walls with their bows
•Rain
•Winter – The ground gets covered with snow and the river freezes over
•Terrain overlay, press ‘t’ to view only the terrain + creatures
•Immigrant creatures. Trolls are the only immigrants right now, but more can easily be modded in.
•River width and depth configurable in config.py
•Performance optimizations
•Many tileset renderer improvements both in performance and features (you can find the translucent ui option in the settings menu)
•Statistics are now gathered (production, death, filth generated) and points are calculated from it.
•Items flow downstream
•Rewrite of the pathfinder in terms of threadsafety. Should eliminate most if not all crashes.
•Autosaves
•Keyboard cursor movement was finally fixed. You can use the numberpad instead of the mouse if you want to.
•UI has been improved, scroll bars are better and the menu disappears when you make a choice, though it leaves your choice visible as a tooltip.
•Water can be barreled and is now required for several products.
•Creatures avoid fire better.
•Wind now behaves more realistically, and instead of being completely random will only shift a set amount   from the prevailing direction. This allows better planning against total death by fire.
•The river is now generated slightly smarter, and filling tiles with earth should work more as expected.
•Save compression, saves a lot of space and isn’t very notable speed-wise.
•Improved tutorial
•Setting to pause on danger (attack or fire)
•Goblins will now dump surplus items into the spawning pool, handily eliminating the problem of accumulating a big pile of wooden clubs from kobold attacks.
•Goblins douse flames automatically, though you can still order more goblins + orcs to help out if you want to concentrate the effort somewhere.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 08:12:40 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Camp
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 08:49:55 pm »

Huh.  Is there some big new release that warrants a new thread or something?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 08:51:25 pm »

Yeah. Just necro the old thread.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:51:41 pm »

Not really, but my seventeenth alien sense tells me that there will be one sometime soon.

fatherjimbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 10:52:58 pm »

At this point the only thing that makes this game interesting is Deon's tile set.

Not saying it doesn't have potential though.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 01:27:35 am »

Stop making threads for this.
NOW
Hello Hunam

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 01:40:39 am »

Stop making threads for this.
NOW

That's a bit harsh, the last thread didn't crash and burn, it's only really a problem when people are unreasonable.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 02:01:50 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=67508.0

Threads are made for discussion.  Making a new thread solely to ignore old ones is basically ignoring this.  Also, OP, next time you make a new thread, actually put some content in it.  It takes like a minute to make, upload, and post a screenshot, or something more than "here is a game and a link seeya".  If you can't put a minimum amount of effort into trying to start a discussion, do you really need to be making a thread?

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 02:57:45 am »

At this point the only thing that makes this game interesting is Deon's tile set.

Not saying it doesn't have potential though.

The only thing true about this post is that goblin camp has potential.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 07:30:15 am »

I have nothing against Goblin Camp or the concept of it. What I do take issue with is just how bad their community is in regards to them not understanding forum etiquette. Also, start your own forum if your game is as vibrant and comparable to Dwarf Fortress then you will soon have tons of traffic and mentions from developers all over the internet. Until that time, realize that you are turning off many potential users with all of this reckless posting which just begs for flames.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 08:12:27 am »

Not that i disagree with you regarding the tasteless number of goblin camp posts, hemmigjay, but from my understanding, the majority of goblin camp community is actually b12'ers.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:35:45 am by burningpet »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 11:39:58 am »

I think more of them are goons from my understanding actually, as a goon myself there was a collosal thread when this started up there.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 02:38:36 pm »

Yea, this is getting out of hand. I support GC more than most on this forum, but I think this is the 6th thread for it in 6 months. Nothing has even happened recenetly in development, except the changes gencon posts on bit bucket, which you don't even link to.

This is a "lol look at this link!" thread, which I am opposed to.

Two quick side notes: #1, GC does have a forum, it isn't as active or pretty as this one, but it is there (http://www.goblincamp.com/forum/). #2, GC has more than potential. The game is actually challenging. Not to bash DF but it is very simple in DF to go a very long time with no deaths. This is impossible in GC.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 03:40:30 pm »

You can't really blame the GC community (mostly goons and B12ers) for B12ers repeatedly posting the same threads without searching.  It's an issue in every forum- consider how many times the same news articles from 4 years ago are posted in DF Discussion solely because it's about an elephant killing a dude.  Or how many times people suggest Minecarts in the Suggestion forum.  The core issue is that B12ers often lack the basic etiquette to do a simple search and avoid retreading old ground, because people want to be 'the one' to post a thread, without any content or concern for making an actual fertile zone for discussion.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 04:09:01 pm »

I swear to god, one day we will actually be able to have a conversation about Goblin Camp on this forum without it devolving into Freudian-esque discussions on the intrinsic problems of forum communities. In the meantime, I really don't think we can blame people for starting new threads, because every single GC thread ends that way, and nobody wants to necro a flamefest.
Pages: [1] 2