Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 139

Author Topic: The Westlands RTD: Turn 42: Final "Turn". Game ended.  (Read 153749 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: The Westlands RTD: Turn 19: Enraging Durnneran. That's GOTTA hurt.
« Reply #930 on: May 03, 2011, 09:29:28 pm »

Still, if you want lightsaber whips, I'm not stopping you.
I'll look into it.

I notice my "good" iron spear has a whopping +0.5 to average damage now. Not sure how intentional that was, but at -1 innately and a half chance of +3, you've got -1 +1.5 for 0.5 net.
That's on a good roll. You really shouldn't trust the RNG all that much, it's not healthy if the last few turns have shown. ;D

Anyway, it's kinda intentional: You can either have very good luck with a spear and do more damage than a longsword would, or you can have very bad luck and do less.
I'm just talking about the average. I would assume a good iron sword would have more than +0.5 to damage, making it superior overall. I'm not sure there's any benefit to having a weapon type that sucks except for the whee! factor of a crit.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: May 03, 2011, 09:37:34 pm »

My inventory is screwed to hell.

Damaged accr tags, gold coins haven't been reduced yet, and I have a bronze sword that I shouldn't have.

Edit: And my quest hasn't been completed.
Still, if you want lightsaber whips, I'm not stopping you.
I'll look into it.

I notice my "good" iron spear has a whopping +0.5 to average damage now. Not sure how intentional that was, but at -1 innately and a half chance of +3, you've got -1 +1.5 for 0.5 net.
That's on a good roll. You really shouldn't trust the RNG all that much, it's not healthy if the last few turns have shown. ;D

Anyway, it's kinda intentional: You can either have very good luck with a spear and do more damage than a longsword would, or you can have very bad luck and do less.
I'm just talking about the average. I would assume a good iron sword would have more than +0.5 to damage, making it superior overall. I'm not sure there's any benefit to having a weapon type that sucks except for the whee! factor of a crit.

Well you could reduce the crit factor, then make it modified by skill.

So make it a one or two in six chance to crit but make the skill add (And subtract when applicable) to the chance of getting it. So your spearmaster could put it through someone's throat 9/10, but bumbling McMoron would have an even lower chance of using it right.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:39:05 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: May 03, 2011, 09:40:46 pm »

So make it a one or two in six chance to crit but make the skill add (And subtract when applicable) to the chance of getting it. So your spearmaster could put it through someone's throat 9/10, but bumbling McMoron would have an even lower chance of using it right.
That'd have entirely different problems, since you'd want a normal weapon for casual use (like emergency enchantments) and a "good when you're good" weapon as a dedicated weapons guy. Swords would be for noobs, actual warriors would just gut you with a dagger or spear.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: May 03, 2011, 09:48:50 pm »

Explain that to Durnneran. He's ripping you guys a new one with his tail hitting all the time even at a 1/3 chance. And with a spear this is a 1/2 chance.

Still, I see your point.

My inventory is screwed to hell.

Damaged accr tags... ...and I have a bronze sword that I shouldn't have.
Oops.

gold coins haven't been reduced yet,
Why should they be? The quest giver didn't accept them, and no one else took them from you.

Edit: And my quest hasn't been completed.
Oops.

Maybe. Only problem with that is that I won't be able to instantly go "oh hey this is a straight 1/2 chance". And this would likely make me have to make all other weapon special abilities modified by skill...

Ehhh... yeah, I'll use th-...

That'd have entirely different problems, since you'd want a normal weapon for casual use (like emergency enchantments) and a "good when you're good" weapon as a dedicated weapons guy. Swords would be for noobs, actual warriors would just gut you with a dagger or spear.
...or not. Good point. I find people droping their longsword for daggers somewhat silly.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: May 03, 2011, 10:18:25 pm »

Err the steel dagger was a gift to the guide along with the money, not in lieu of.

You could add special properties to all the weapons, maybe giving longswords a chance of a reduced damage counter-attack or improved defence, or make it so that a spear user has to give up his shield in order to get improved criticals.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Trollan

• Bay Watcher
  • O hai!
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: May 03, 2011, 10:22:09 pm »

Name: Quemosangenga (Gengy for short)
Bio: Optional
Starting Items: Mage robes, Chaos mage's tome (1/6 chance for +1 to chaos spell power)
Skills: 10 Chaos magic, 6 defense, 4 Necromancy, 4 misc. object (hoping beating somebody with a spellbook counts as a miscellaneous object)
Attributes:
7 Strength: -1 to using a weapon that uses this attribute. 35 encumbrance points.
5 Agility: -1 to using a weapon that uses this attribute. -1 to defense.
15 Toughness: 21HP. Can stay alive for 2 turns while mortally wounded.
30 Intelligence: +2 to spellcasting.
8 Charisma: -1 to talking

I don't know why I missed this.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: May 03, 2011, 10:26:26 pm »

Err the steel dagger was a gift to the guide along with the money, not in lieu of.
Oh.

Alright, I removed the amount you were in debt to him.

You could add special properties to all the weapons, maybe giving longswords a chance of a reduced damage counter-attack or improved defence, or make it so that a spear user has to give up his shield in order to get improved criticals.
Urgh, no, I don't think so. That is starting to get into the area of overcomplexity. And overcomplexity isn't very fun, personally.

I don't know why I missed this.
I mentioned it several times. On two RTDs you play. You must be blind, sir. :P
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: May 03, 2011, 11:49:38 pm »

Overkill mate D:

PLace your bets, what will kill me first? The dragon or the lack of air?

Start breathing! Get the heck outta dodge!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: May 03, 2011, 11:51:16 pm »

PLace your bets, what will kill me first? The dragon or the lack of air?
You aren't running out of air. You have air.

Wait a second, did I...

Yes, yes I did. I forgot to update everything in your status besides HP.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: May 03, 2011, 11:53:37 pm »

Quote from: Tar
Urgh, no, I don't think so. That is starting to get into the area of overcomplexity. And overcomplexity isn't very fun, personally.

Yeah, sorry. I'm a big fan of complexity.  It works better when you can program it and put it 'under the hood' so to speak.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:01:05 am by Draignean »
---

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: May 03, 2011, 11:56:30 pm »

I bet I get a "needs no air to breathe" mutation next turn. Jus' 'cause the RNG likes to spite me.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: May 04, 2011, 12:08:31 am »

Recall the old days of morphing corpses into exoskeletons.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: May 04, 2011, 12:09:10 am »

Jus' 'cause the RNG likes to spite
EVERYONE.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: May 04, 2011, 12:12:12 am »

Indeed. In freaking deed.

I mean, seriously, what did you guys do to make the RNG so pissed off? Yo-mama insults?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: May 04, 2011, 12:14:23 am »

I... might have made fun of him, yeah. But jus' a li'l bit...
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 139