Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Dwarf Fortress difficult to learn how to play?

Yes
- 132 (53%)
No
- 45 (18.1%)
Depends
- 72 (28.9%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress...What?  (Read 20467 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress...What?
« Reply #150 on: April 18, 2011, 12:44:28 pm »

Also, once the stocks are fully updated you can decommision your bookkeeper, and they will still stay accurate forever.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2011, 12:49:08 pm »

Oh, THAT sounds useful. I prefer to keep all units in the military, whatwith all these goblins and all. Seriously, I got a caravan, along with a 2 squad ambush, then THIRTY SECONDS later I got another ambush, with (two?) squads. But, I think there's a third. My left flank puppy guard is dead...And the two squads came from far to the south...Hmm.

Plus, Ettins. They're surprisingly easy, but total douchies. Jackass must have ate my cook! I though rope reed armor was badass?

Kinda getting a bit bored with DF, might take a break for a few days. I do the same with Minecraft...Maybe watch some of those japanese cartoon thingies, what they called? Anime? Yeah, I like those...Well, the bloody ones, really.

OH! I'll rewatch MATRIX. And maybe LOTR...Yeaaah. Now, where's my case of movies?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 12:19:00 am by Dave1004 »

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2011, 04:17:12 pm »

Now, where's my case of pirated movies?
If that doesn't refer to the official box-set Pirates Of The Caribbean and its sequels, it might be best you not talk too much about them...

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 18, 2011, 05:55:04 pm »

Seriously, I got a caravan, along with a 2 squad ambush, then THIRTY SECONDS later I got another ambush, with (two?) squads. But, I think there's a third.

It's really all one ambush.  The ambush consists of however-many squads of goblins placed on the map, invisible to you.  When you discover one of the goblins, its whole squad becomes visible and you get the announcement.  But there can still be other squads, as-yet undetected.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 18, 2011, 07:34:04 pm »

@Greycat: Sweet jesus the goblins are smarter than me. Ugh, nasty little brutes, whatwith "Large silver daggers" and crappy "Iron Pikes" (How the hell does a 3 foot dwarf use a 7 foot pike? >_>)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 12:18:36 am by Dave1004 »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 18, 2011, 08:57:39 pm »

(How the hell does a 3 foot dwarf use a 7 foot pike? >_>)
Dwarves, elves, and goblins all have the same mass in DF, and the same proportions too (since the game sees body parts as layered spheres). Even if they were smaller, humans in RL can use pikes that are as large to them as a 7-foot pike to a 3-foot creature.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 18, 2011, 09:24:44 pm »

@Starver: It most definitely does not, but piracy is legal here in Canada. :D What a good move. I'm now settling down to play some pirated games. HOMM5 anyone?
I was more thinking how people responsible for forums tends to frown upon "look at me, I'm doing something illegal!" posts.  It may be 'legal' in Canada, but given you're still calling it piracy (as opposed to loads of terms that don't have the same connotation of intrinsic illegality), and your comments might be seen as an encouragement to others, it still isn't a wise thing to talk about so blatantly.  Anyway, was going to PM you about it, but I inadvertently blurted that out in the open, so felis catus exturnas pera, nunc (to exercise my Mongrel Latin).

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 19, 2011, 12:19:24 am »

Wait. What happened to free speech...?

Sorry about that, my reply was inconsiderate and off-topic. I modified it a bit, sorry for being an ass xD. I'm just tired of people telling me that peer-to-peer is a horribly evil thing. Not that you said that, but my tiny brain processes it as such.

Latin? Isn't that a language...?

Anyhow, Sutre - They can, but that's really only for anti-cavalry. You take said pike, stick it in the ground, and let the horse charge onto it. As a human, would you fight somebody of a similar size (Who's wielding a blade) with your 8 foot pike? If you did, you probably wouldn't last long. Pikes are usually made out of pure metal, so swinging it around is going to exhaust you, and probably tear your muscles. I see your point though :P

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 19, 2011, 04:30:55 am »

Anyhow, Sutre - They can, but that's really only for anti-cavalry. You take said pike, stick it in the ground, and let the horse charge onto it. As a human, would you fight somebody of a similar size (Who's wielding a blade) with your 8 foot pike? If you did, you probably wouldn't last long. Pikes are usually made out of pure metal, so swinging it around is going to exhaust you, and probably tear your muscles. I see your point though :P

If you're alone, sure, you'll get cut into ribbons as soon as a swordman comes to close quarters. But used by professional soldiers trained to use it as a unit, they were good all-around anti-infantry weapons. In their times, the macedonian phalanx or the Swiss mercenaries were kings of the battlefield. And for the macedonians, we're talking about 15-feet long pikes, not puny 8-feet pigstickers.
In close quarters, you'll disassemble the pikeman to it's basic components, but before that, you'll have to go through a whole forest of thoose things...

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 19, 2011, 02:19:06 pm »

Gah. Kard, I guess you're right. But the problem is, wouldn't it be difficult to use shields? A couple of horse archers...The pikemen would be too slow to catch them, and the arrows would...Meh. But, you're right. I'm not as smart as I look, I guess.

Then again, I don't look very smart at all.

AH EDITED WHAT A STUPID QUESTION >_>
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 02:24:11 pm by Dave1004 »

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 20, 2011, 07:14:10 am »

But the problem is, wouldn't it be difficult to use shields? A couple of horse archers...The pikemen would be too slow to catch them, and the arrows would...
You're right, the Swiss battle-square or the macedonian phalanx were slow moving formations, hardy and nearly unstoppable but exposed to fast-moving, ranged-fire troops. Each military unit has it's kryptonite. That's why you combine troops to cover their weaknesses (in this case, lighter, faster troops to cover the flanks and repell the harrassers, or to fire back)

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 20, 2011, 01:54:55 pm »

But the problem is, wouldn't it be difficult to use shields? A couple of horse archers...The pikemen would be too slow to catch them, and the arrows would...
You're right, the Swiss battle-square or the macedonian phalanx were slow moving formations, hardy and nearly unstoppable but exposed to fast-moving, ranged-fire troops. Each military unit has it's kryptonite. That's why you combine troops to cover their weaknesses (in this case, lighter, faster troops to cover the flanks and repell the harrassers, or to fire back)

You are an awesome person :D. I got all my info from Age of Empires 2 XD. Anyhoo, I've got a real good hold on this game. Once you figure it out, it's easy to learn...

But one thing bothers me. When you run out of trees. It's inevitable, and when it happens, it's not cool. No more beds...No more cages (Metal are too expensive :<)...

I buy a good 10-20 logs each time the caravan comes by, but it's not enough! Eh, well...Any way to mass reproduce trees? All the saplings say they're "Dead"....

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 20, 2011, 01:58:48 pm »

Saplings die when you step on them.
New saplings take over a year to grow, I think.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 20, 2011, 02:04:47 pm »

Hoooshee....But, the saplings were dead. Everywhere. Not one was alive x.x. (It's hard enough getting wood with those darn skeleton moose! lol)

Well, thanks man :D. Another question, if I may. How do I make a "Magma Smelter"? I can't just dig through to the magma and then stick a smelter on it, can I? The magma would kill erry'body...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 20, 2011, 02:10:11 pm »

How do I make a "Magma Smelter"? I can't just dig through to the magma and then stick a smelter on it, can I? The magma would kill erry'body...
Yes, yes you can. Natural magma is not under pressure so will not 'leak up' through a hole in the floor. You may want some precaution against magma lifeforms coming up, but the magma itself will not kill you if you dig down not sideways.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12