Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Dwarf Fortress difficult to learn how to play?

Yes
- 132 (53%)
No
- 45 (18.1%)
Depends
- 72 (28.9%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress...What?  (Read 20424 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress...What?
« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2011, 02:11:30 pm »

The magma smelter has to go over the magma, exposed through a hole in the floor.
A tip: When you build it, put one of the darker green tiles over the hole. They are solid, and will block out any baddies living in the magma.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2011, 04:42:36 pm »

Hoooshee....But, the saplings were dead. Everywhere. Not one was alive x.x. (It's hard enough getting wood with those darn skeleton moose! lol)
All aboveground vegetation may belong to an EVIL biome in your case. Aboveground forests may look like those fantasy horror evil forests and not regrow. Dig down to the caverns and log giant mushrooms (technically trees) there.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 21, 2011, 02:33:12 pm »

@Magma stuff: Whoo-ee, that sounds...hard. Doesn't that mean I have to, like, go to the top'a the volcanoe or something like that? Meh, maybe I read it wrong. Thanks, guys :D

@Another: Oyah, I was in a sinister or something place, wasn't I...I have like, no caverns. Well, I have alot of water (DFReveal, caught me :/), but nothing cave-y like. Will try though! Thanks :D

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 21, 2011, 03:44:21 pm »

@Magma stuff: Whoo-ee, that sounds...hard. Doesn't that mean I have to, like, go to the top'a the volcanoe or something like that? Meh, maybe I read it wrong. Thanks, guys :D

@Another: Oyah, I was in a sinister or something place, wasn't I...I have like, no caverns. Well, I have alot of water (DFReveal, caught me :/), but nothing cave-y like. Will try though! Thanks :D

Anywhere there's magma, you can tap it.  You can build floors over exposed magma (except for where the aforementioned holes need to be) or you can build in rooms separated only from the magma by their floors (with one tile channelled away) or you can tap into the magma with suitably magma-safe pumps to bring it up to a prepared level upon which you have (or will) build workshops on the layer above or (my current favourite) set your magma workshop rooms down somewhere in the rocks adjacent to the magma layer with a specially dug magmaduct beneath the channelled tiles which in one swift move (easy to do safely) is connected with the magma-source and slowly but surely floods in order to provide power the workshops.

Loads of ways to do it.  Several ways to do it wrongly, but once you have a handle on it all it you'll only ever come unstuck by gross negligence.

(You know, these days I've hardly ever seen any of the magma-residing creatures that might catch the unwary.  I'm not sure if I've been lucky, or if the local fauna has been mildly nuked in recent times.)

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 21, 2011, 04:36:02 pm »

The magma lake/sea is generally large enough that any unwanted critters living in the sea are far enough away from the tapped holes that they never aggro.  There's generally plenty of time between channeling out the hole in the floor before the hole gets plugged back up by a magma forge / smelter / kiln / glass furnace.

There's always that 1:100 chance though.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 21, 2011, 04:52:08 pm »

That's how I've managed them in the past, but I very rarely even see them these days.  Or, more realistically, get the ability to see (and zoom to) them in the Units list.  Even when tapping several points in the magma sea.

Obviously it's wider than (and not ever as completely discovered as) the old magma-pipes, so they're undoubtedly just lurking well away from the initial discovery point and any subsequent magma-ducts' fortification-taps into the sea.  But it was just an impression.  Also, when I have spotted magma-creatures, they've been the -crabs, not the -men or -imps of old.

(I remember one of my very first forts, with a pre-exposed volcano crater.  I think I lost several of my initial dwarves to an imp jumping out of the crater when I hovered too close to it (someone plant gathering or wood cutting, probably).  Not directly, though, but to the bush-fire it caused that roamed quickly across the landscape, before I had time to dig into the ground and persuade everyone to get out of the open... :) )

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2011, 04:54:07 pm »

...and I can't remember having seen a verminous magma-snake since 2010 came out.  For all I know, they're no longer in the raws.  I certainly haven't seen any dwarf having a strong dislike for them in their preferences, as they did in 40D and earlier.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]