Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Demon Slaying  (Read 9949 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Demon Slaying
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2011, 09:36:52 pm »

Is there any point to settling hell?
One person has done that. He even established a farm down there, and grew some plump hellmets.
Several people have done it, actually.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2011, 09:39:21 pm »

Not an artifact door, and it takes a while to smash a steel door down - I clocked a titan smashing one down for a season.
Can a single artifact door, a -Menacing Copper Spike-, and three mechanisms slay an entire demon horde?
Considering we have adamantine down by hell, why not build adamantine doors? How long would it last?  :D

I have a spare artifact pig iron door (i know lulz) that I will test with when I get to hell, ironically the pig iron door is the only thing that's banned from export - my mayor loves pig iron of all things.

Is there any point to settling hell?
One person has done that. He even established a farm down there, and grew some plump hellmets.
Hmmm there needs to be some special plant that can only be grown in hell, no matter how useless, then there will be more motivation imo.
Agreed. It should be brewed into "Demon Gin", and be worth more than sunshine! How about... Skeletal Carp Berries?

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2011, 09:46:52 pm »

I'd say "actually being able to use slade," but then remembered we don't want to encourage the nobles who like slade.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2011, 12:18:52 am »

I'd say "actually being able to use slade," but then remembered we don't want to encourage the nobles who like slade.
Or your moody High Master Mason who likes slade.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2011, 12:19:24 am »

Moody masons aren't picky.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2011, 12:36:31 am »

Oh. I mostly get carpenters, fishers, and jewelers; so I just assumed that masons got picky like smiths...

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2011, 01:06:23 am »

Oh. I mostly get carpenters, fishers, and jewelers; so I just assumed that masons got picky like smiths...
Atleast thats better than a handfull of soapmakers every season.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2011, 01:51:41 am »

Atleast thats better than a handfull of soapmakers every season.

Didn't think that soapmaking was a moodable skill.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2011, 04:18:04 am »

Just for !!fun!!, I tried invading hell with nothing more than pure military. I had 15 super axe lords and sword masters all in full adamantine. Most of it masterwork too. Normally, these guys could chop a full size fortress defense mod siege into pieces. Every single combat skill was at legendary (even biting and misc. object user, teacher and student were up around master too). They didn't have too much trouble with the demons at first (no syndrome breathers anywhere, incredibly), but everyone started melting and then bled out. Copper ore on the ground melted too.

I save-scummed, and tried again with a little more strategy. I only sent one squad in at a time. I managed to kill 26 demons out of about 50 before everyone melted.

I save-scummed, carved a passage to the surface, and then unleashed the demons. I was planing to let them walk through my entry defenses (lots of steel spike traps!). They got to my entrance (took forever, framerate=0), stood on a steel drawbridge, and started beating down my steel front doors. After finally breaking down the doors, a fire demon (forget the exact name) stepped (flew, whatever) onto a spike trap and exploded into flames. Molten steel everywhere!  :o

Trying yet again, I turned off temperature and sent my military at them again. This time, we were victorious. All but one of the demons died (one had its wings chopped off and was stuck in the adamantine tube), though most of my military was dead. One axe lord, very conveniently, had somehow fallen into hell without any injuries so I had him explore. Only two demons down there, they ignored him till he got close.

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2011, 04:42:55 am »

Had an idea , since demons dont breathe and thus can travel underwater , we breach HFS during winter and when the bulk of the initial demon horde is in the water passage to your fort , we breach the water to the surface thus turning the own thing to ice. Workable?

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2011, 05:09:16 am »

As long as you dont get fire demons that evaporate the water on contact this should work. However, encasing them in obsidian sound like a better solution since you can do it underground and lava wont boil, no matter how much heat the demons generate.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2011, 06:09:27 am »

Just for !!fun!!, I tried invading hell with nothing more than pure military. I had 15 super axe lords and sword masters all in full adamantine. Most of it masterwork too. Normally, these guys could chop a full size fortress defense mod siege into pieces. Every single combat skill was at legendary (even biting and misc. object user, teacher and student were up around master too). They didn't have too much trouble with the demons at first (no syndrome breathers anywhere, incredibly), but everyone started melting and then bled out. Copper ore on the ground melted too.

I save-scummed, and tried again with a little more strategy. I only sent one squad in at a time. I managed to kill 26 demons out of about 50 before everyone melted.

This is my experience too. On my last fortress I tried breaching hell. I was playing with the Fortress Defense Mod, and all my soldiers would consistently block the Hellfire Imp fire attacks, so I figured they would also be able to block whatever the demons would throw at them. No such luck. They all started bleeding after the first demon shot fire at them and half of them died before I could kill anything.
I savescummed, tried again with temperature turned off, and this time conquered hell without losing dwarf. I lost a few after this due to them dodging into the glowing pits, but the demons were pretty pathetic without temperature to melt my dwarves.

Hmmm there needs to be some special plant that can only be grown in hell, no matter how useless, then there will be more motivation imo.

One guy tried to mod in plants and creatures that would only appear in hell. The creatures showed up just fine, but the plants wouldn't grow.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2011, 08:19:26 am »

Well yeah, there's no soil in the circus, is there? Just Cracker Jack. I propose this be the new name for slade.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2011, 08:45:01 am »

Theoretical reloadable construction for demon destruction:

Eh? Entrance bridge should preferrably be raised before firing, too.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2011, 09:03:08 am »

...How do you build it before the clowns flood in? It seems like it would work, but be interrupted by daily swarms of clowns+ the first massive surge of them.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9