Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eating badgers, mining metals and anvils.  (Read 1093 times)

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Eating badgers, mining metals and anvils.
« on: April 01, 2011, 03:36:23 pm »

Got 3 questions:
1) My dogs killed a honey badger who wandered close to my fort, but my butcher refuses to touch the corpse. He is not busy, and trying to give an order via butcher shop gives a "needs unrotten nearby butcherable item" message. The corpse is not rotten. Is there some setting that I'm missing?
2)Deep metals, shallow metals...What does it mean? How deep is "deep" and how deep is "shallow". I need to know where to dig exploratory shafts. I think my fort had "deep" and I found silver around the first cavern (around lvl -40 I think). Is that where I should look?
3)There were no anvils available on embark. The dwarf caravan did not have any, but I ordered them. Will they bring them despite the fact that they don't seem to have them at all? Humans bring them too, right?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Eating badgers, mining metals and anvils.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 03:44:55 pm »

You didn't have enough money to buy the anvil on embark. That's why it didn't show up.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 03:45:44 pm »

1) It needs a nearby butcherable item. Is the badger corpse nearby? If not, create a stockpile nearby that will accept corpses so someone can haul the corpse to it. I think there is a option in the 'o' menu that control whether dwarves will collect refuse from outside, make sure they they will do so.
2) Dunno how deep is "deep". sorry.
3) It sounds like your civilization doesn't have any iron at all, so they'll never bring you an anvil. Better pray for an anvil in the human caravan or you are truly SOL. With no anvil, you can't make anything out of metal (except bars). You'd be limited to just what you can buy from caravans or collect from invaders. That would be a challenging fort, and maybe not what you want if you're just beginning.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 03:49:12 pm »

1) Have you allowed gathering of refuse from outside from orders menu? And the corpse is unforbidden?
2) I have assumed these mean what layers contain metals. Ie. if you have shallow metals you are likely to have metal in soil and especially in sedimentary layer, while deep indicates metals in igneous layers. Metamorphic might fall with either really. I belive all of these layers are found above the caverns.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:52:22 pm by Dwarfoloid »

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 04:19:03 pm »

3)There were no anvils available on embark. The dwarf caravan did not have any, but I ordered them. Will they bring them despite the fact that they don't seem to have them at all? Humans bring them too, right?
Play a year or two.

If your civ has iron they'll bring you anvils, probably without you having to ask for 'em. Otherwise the humans always bring me an anvil or three.

If you're three years in and nobody's brought you anvils you should restart.

Nick

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 04:33:54 pm »

Dwarves always have steel. So be preapared to give em a bit more than usual if they don't have iron.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 04:42:40 pm »

3) It sounds like your civilization doesn't have any iron at all, so they'll never bring you an anvil. Better pray for an anvil in the human caravan or you are truly SOL. With no anvil, you can't make anything out of metal (except bars). You'd be limited to just what you can buy from caravans or collect from invaders. That would be a challenging fort, and maybe not what you want if you're just beginning.

You are a silly person. April Fool's Day does not apply when giving advice.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

JelloSnark

• Bay Watcher
  • Ever play Half-Life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 06:50:17 pm »

Dang, I was just about to give some Snarky advice because of April 1st. :(
Beware... while my screen-name has 'Snark' in it, I am actually Snarky.
Hehe
'Nom Nom Nom'
God of god of god.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 07:30:08 pm »

Actually, I was being an ignorant person. :-/ Although I don't deny being a silly person, I do deny my advice having anything to do with April Fool's Day. I had forgotten that Dwarves always have steel. Although I've had embarks where I could get steel anvils and not iron anvils. I'm not sure how that works. "Aye, laddie, we can make steel, but we dinna have any iron. So we modded a reaction that lets us to make pig iron from pigs, and another 'un that lets us make steel from two bars of pig iron. It nae be kosher, but it lets us make steel anvils!"

But someone else suggested that he probably didn't see anvils available for his embark because he didn't have enough points, which I guess is the real reason. Although I thought you always started out with an anvil by default, so how could it be that he didn't have enough points? I've had embarks where I started out with a steel anvil, which is 300 points and doesn't leave you with many points to spend, compared to having a 100 point iron anvil.

He'd have had to give back his default steel or iron anvil and then spend a bunch of points before he wouldn't have enough points to see any anvils. So now I'm not so sure that's why he didn't have any anvils available at embark. So do Dwarves really always have steel available?

Metalgear, did the Dwarven caravan have any steel or iron items at all?

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 07:48:05 pm »

He said he could order anvils.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 08:00:05 pm »

I actually tried modding in bronze anvils once (no idea how historically accurate that is, but pre-Iron Age smiths had to use something, right?) but they cost half the price of an iron one and it didn't seem very balanced.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 08:37:56 pm »

I actually tried modding in bronze anvils once (no idea how historically accurate that is, but pre-Iron Age smiths had to use something, right?) but they cost half the price of an iron one and it didn't seem very balanced.

I think that Bronze Age anvils were colloquially called 'rocks'.

Yep - just checked Wikipedia. They used stone anvils, and then bronze anvils, and then iron ones.

However, remember that realistically you couldn't use an anvil of a softer metal to make an object of a harder metal (so you couldn't make an iron item with a bronze anvil in most cases)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 08:39:40 pm by EBannion »
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007