Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grrrr nudist dwarves  (Read 1387 times)

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Grrrr nudist dwarves
« on: April 01, 2011, 03:27:19 am »

I want my dwarves to wear something after a couple of years, when the original clothes have rotted off their skins.

Here's what I tried to do:

- Military screen. Make a uniform, call it "civ clothes", put stuff like dresses + trousers into these.
- Put everyone except the woodcutter and the miner into the military, tell them to use the uniform "civ clothes". I made sure that each moron had "u: when inactive, wear civ clothes" for each alert.
- Wait until the original clothes were gone.
- Slowly produce some dresses and trousers (they were all busy hauling rocks, this is why it was slowly.)
- Stare at the dwarves and wait that they equip these.

The last step in this list went on for about 2 years. I learned that some of the children had claimed some of the dresses and trousers, but not all were claimed by anyone.

Still, nobody of the little fuckers ever went to get their uniforms.

I disbanded the army, re-created it. Went quite nuts at making sure that everyone had the "u: when inactive, wear civ clothes" option for every single alert again.

They didn't even bother to think about re-assigning the dresses and trousers.

Meanwhile, my nanofort was harassed by a flock of muskoxen who had somehow made it into the fortress and on top of my outer wall, they were slowly killing all my war dogs one by one.

I activated the squad and told them to do something about it, and all of the little morons went naked to the wall and got slaughtered as well.

GAH, I am frustrated by this badly done military interface. I just want them to wear something.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:30:46 am by Lytha »
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: Grrrr nudist dwarves
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 03:29:33 am »

Dwarves just hate clothes, It's unavoidable.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 03:32:16 am »

I forgot: I made some leather armors and told them to wear these at least, and they never even bothered to look at these, too.

I'm starting to think that the well-hidden "m: partial match/exact match" and "r: replace clothing/over clothing" or the "u: when inactive, wear uniform" options might be the problem. These options are so imprecise, unclear and well-hidden that they surely must be vitally important.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:37:36 am by Lytha »
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 03:36:23 am »

Any kind of body covering that's not metal seems to be trouble... and even then it's not the best.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 03:42:47 am »

... okay, I will then try some copper armors, next time.

And I'll reduce the cavern layers by at least one. :(  But I love those blood thorns and other cavern layer #3 tree colours. :(

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 05:18:22 am »

True dwarves are clothed only in blood and vomit. An additional bonus to that is that it is incredibly easy to clothe them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 05:33:18 am »

... okay, I will then try some copper armors, next time.

And I'll reduce the cavern layers by at least one. :(  But I love those blood thorns and other cavern layer #3 tree colours. :(

Actually, you'll still have those trees. The game will rearrange what stuff goes on what layer, to fit everything in. (Not sure what the caverns have to do with your clothing problem, though. If you're trying to get more layers of rock to mine ore out of, this won't do it.)

As to the clothing issue - it'll give everybody a bad thought or two, but try actually activating your civilian squads - give each squad a move order, one at a time, and the dwarves should run around picking up gear before they go where you've told them to. If you poke around at the squads tab enough ('s', not 'm'), you can even dismiss the dwarves from the move order on an individual basis when you're sure they're geared up.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 06:04:54 am »

The cavern layers had to do with my clothing issues by causing this 130 z-level descent to the magma forge. If I want to produce some copper armors before I brought the magma up to the surface, it means a lot of pointless running for the little pests.

Less cavern layers hopefully reduce this to a 50 z-level stroll, I hope.

The problem with the blood, mud, vomit and forgotten poop clothing is that a muskox who has invaded my outer wall can just punch a hole through it all, rupturing the stomach and dislodging the brain of the well-dressed dwarf. 'tis no good. :(

I'm thinking that an alpaca wool shirt might help to prevent these instant-kills.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 06:07:24 am by Lytha »

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 06:18:49 am »

Try Cat Bone Helmets and Boots.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 07:19:44 am »

The cavern layers had to do with my clothing issues by causing this 130 z-level descent to the magma forge. If I want to produce some copper armors before I brought the magma up to the surface, it means a lot of pointless running for the little pests.

That can be changed in thw advance worldgen parameters when you create a new world. If I were you I'd max out sky levels for living space, reduce levels between ground and caverns, but add more levels below the magma, just in case. Beware you can end up with not many levels between you and the caverns for housing.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 08:36:47 am »

I have a theory that when goblins get killed on the map some of their clothing gets claimed by some of your dwarves. Since the clothing is forbidden by default they never go and grab them. But on a couple of my maps I started claiming all the gear the gobbos dropped in my weapon traps and noticed that many of my dwarves were wearing the stuff.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 08:46:11 am »

Well... I don't have much experience with clothes, sorry. I do, however, have a fort that hit SMR just 42 levels below the surface, with all three cavern levels present.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 11:02:12 am »

Have you tried just assigning the dwarves' clothes as their uniform and telling them to always have it equipped?  Sure, it's a tedious thing to do but you seem sufficiently peeved about the clothing habits of your dwarves.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 11:10:47 am »

I've been wondering when toady intends to work on this. It's apparently been a recurring issue for a long, long time.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 04:10:02 am »

The problem is either the fact that I waited until all clothes were rotted off, or the fact that I switched each dwarf to "inactive: civ clothes" instead of the default "inactive: uniformed".

I created a new military and some civilian clothes again ("replace clothing"), and now I have civilians in dresses + pants + stuff, wielding crossbows, a quiver and some dog bone bolts, and shooting down them buzzards and vultures.

I have also piles of slighly worn other clothes lying all over the place, but maybe they will at least put them into cabinets as soon as I get around to give each of them their own room. They're ecstatic to sleep in a makeshift dormitory on a 3x3 room of my central ramps at the moment.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 04:11:34 am by Lytha »