Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No access to mechanisms  (Read 6701 times)

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No access to mechanisms
« on: March 30, 2011, 01:05:45 pm »

There's a cougar on the other side of the riverbank ...

... and I want that giant kitty tamed in my fort. So I have to catch it.

My fort is sitting on a very small island formed by a minor stream cutting itself in two before falling in a major river (so huge it takes half the map). In order to catch the cat, I tried to build "bridges" by building a long floor line that will join the two riverbanks, on each side of the island, and then fill that floor-line with cage traps.

The first part worked well, all three tiles of the floor are built (fourth tile will be built when the cage traps are ready). But ! When I try to build a cage trap, the interface answers me "No access to mechanisms". What the spores reproduction system ? I have mechanisms, lots of them, sitting in my mechanism workshop. What's wrong ? It's the first time I ever have that message.

Please, help me catch that kitty !

I play df 0.31.21 version with the Lazy Newb pack.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
Re: No access to mechanisms
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 01:09:14 pm »

The dwarves can't get the mechanisms to the place. Make a path.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 01:11:10 pm »

I have one already ... A giant stairwell leading from the inside of the fort to the outside where I want to put my trap. I'll go and check if I haven't locked in my dwarves by mistake, but I'm pretty sure I haven't.

Edit : All the doors are open.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 01:20:56 pm by Ancre »

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 01:22:43 pm »

Mechanism is really far from the trap. Like, REALLY FAR AWAY!

Put a stockpile for mechanisms there.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 02:14:28 pm »

Mechanism is really far from the trap. Like, REALLY FAR AWAY!

Put a stockpile for mechanisms there.

Distance doesn't matter. So long as there is a path to it you can use the item regardless of how long it takes to walk to it and haul it to the construction site.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 02:17:14 pm »

But it'll help either way.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 10:49:52 am »

Ok, I have found the problem.  I accidentally stuck my dwarves by creating a swimming pool in front of the entry door (I wanted them to learn to swim). It appears dwarves don't path through 4/7 water, and they don't learn to swim with 3/7 water. Ah well, too bad :( I will have to find another way to make them learn how to swim :(

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 11:06:48 am »

Ok, I have found the problem.  I accidentally stuck my dwarves by creating a swimming pool in front of the entry door (I wanted them to learn to swim). It appears dwarves don't path through 4/7 water, and they don't learn to swim with 3/7 water. Ah well, too bad :( I will have to find another way to make them learn how to swim :(

I think to "teach" them you basically have to have a swimming pool that starts with 3/7 water and fills to 4/7 water.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 11:13:01 am »

Maybe you can put a bridge over the pool that occasionally retracts automatically, dropping the dwarves into the water. Not right over the pool though, or they won't be able to climb out when it closes again. Maybe 1 level above?

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 12:09:41 pm »

Water repeater - sends regular 300 step trigger signal and incidentally fills a cistern to exactly alternating 3/4 level. Dwarves would path through the 3/7 water but be hit by waves of 4/7 water. Should learn a bit of swimming this way? I've not tested this, it's from the wiki

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Repeater

Quote from: wiki
This repeater toggles fairly slowly, about once every 300 steps, making it suitable for operating bridges, floodgates, and upright spikes. As an added bonus, the bottom wall (immediately beyond the floodgate) can be removed and connected to a cistern whose water level will be automatically maintained at a level between 3 and 4 deep.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 12:11:30 pm by Reelyanoob »

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 12:38:08 pm »

Water repeater - sends regular 300 step trigger signal and incidentally fills a cistern to exactly alternating 3/4 level. Dwarves would path through the 3/7 water but be hit by waves of 4/7 water. Should learn a bit of swimming this way? I've not tested this, it's from the wiki

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Repeater

Quote from: wiki
This repeater toggles fairly slowly, about once every 300 steps, making it suitable for operating bridges, floodgates, and upright spikes. As an added bonus, the bottom wall (immediately beyond the floodgate) can be removed and connected to a cistern whose water level will be automatically maintained at a level between 3 and 4 deep.

Doesn't work ! I dig my swimming pool bigger and filled it so that some tiles would be 4 and others 3. But it blocked path outside again. I haven't tested it thoroughly however (I have other problems, like a lack of weapon-metal, that needs to be taken care of) and maybe I will go back at it later.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 02:52:00 pm »

I have an idea that might or might not work.

Make a danger room with a checkered floor. On the layer below, water for them to dodge into. I believe that 6/7 will be fine as long as there's ramp access to the dry tiles above, but water alternating between 6/7 and 7/7 will alternately let them breathe or climb out.

Note that there's something very strange going on at the moment with ramps, although it seems to be confined only to miners.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 05:10:08 pm »

This works very well:

Code: [Select]

#########
wpP++++++D#
  #########

w  = water source
pP = pump
D  = door connected to lever
+  = floor
#  = wall

Access can be a door in the side or stairs with a hatch. 

1. Recruit dwarves
2. station in hall
3. lock access door/hatch
4. fill 6 floor tiles with 7/7 water
5. pull lever to open door at end

This will give 7 tiles with 6/7 water.  Dwarves are trapped, so will stay there learning to swim, but not in 7/7 water so they won't drown.  When their skill is high enough, or they start getting thirsty/hungry/sleepy, unlock the exit.  This can be dug underground, or built on the surface.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 05:32:18 pm »

Thank you for your help !

I will try JmzLost's version for sure, and Sutremaine as well as soon as I've learned how to make a danger room. (And water-related engineering for awell in a hospital, so much things to learn ! )

And then, as soon as they know how to swim, it'll be time for a mad project with that giant river that covers half the map ... though I don't know which one yet.

JelloSnark

• Bay Watcher
  • Ever play Half-Life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 06:32:21 pm »

I vote a Rapture under the lake. Where you go one z-level down, and then there is nothing but glass, dwarves, and water. I tried and ended up drowning them all, but with swimming skill, it should be no problem! :) (This is sarcasm, btw.)
Beware... while my screen-name has 'Snark' in it, I am actually Snarky.
Hehe
'Nom Nom Nom'
God of god of god.
Pages: [1] 2