Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507 508 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727738 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7575 on: January 09, 2014, 11:23:40 am »

Or maybe have a framing device that it's seven people - the player characters or other characters entirely - telling the story of an adventure all together to an eighth, unknown party. This way, they can do their GMing in-character, and it would easily explain the style shifts.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 11:25:56 am by Harry Baldman »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7576 on: January 09, 2014, 11:29:16 am »

I like that idea!
Or the seven characters, adventurers perhaps, could be sleeping in a tavern and the game itself depicts their dreams.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7577 on: January 09, 2014, 12:39:01 pm »

Okay, this is all sounding really, really good. I think I had an idea similar to this.

Basically, you are being interrogated by the police or somesuch. You are trying to make sure they don't find out your secrets, but you have to tell them something or they're going to kill you. This works really well for the premise, because since the GMs are swapped out, all inaccuracies between stories can be explained as the player characters being inconsistent. More on this later, since I'm thinking out mechanics that'd suit an interrogation framing device.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7578 on: January 09, 2014, 12:42:46 pm »

Huh... I'm getting the strangest feeling of deja vu from that idea.
Did we have an RTD like that, once? Or was something similar suggested? Or maybe I'm just confusing it with your Roll To Die game...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7579 on: January 09, 2014, 12:45:42 pm »

It's similar to one of my older RTDs which was essentially Memento: The RTD and also in a communist state. I adapted it from Harry's idea, and I kinda abandoned it cos it was kinda like writing a Godhood with the pace of a regular RTD.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7580 on: January 09, 2014, 01:09:26 pm »

Okay, this is all sounding really, really good. I think I had an idea similar to this.

Basically, you are being interrogated by the police or somesuch. You are trying to make sure they don't find out your secrets, but you have to tell them something or they're going to kill you. This works really well for the premise, because since the GMs are swapped out, all inaccuracies between stories can be explained as the player characters being inconsistent. More on this later, since I'm thinking out mechanics that'd suit an interrogation framing device.

Man, that is gonna be the weirdest testimony when one minute you're prancing along in a fantasy adventure, and next you're in undergoing a hard military scifi operation where half of the team dies in the first few turns. And then a while later, you seem to be godlike beings, stuck in some minimalist horror.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7581 on: January 09, 2014, 01:14:22 pm »

Either the interrogator's truth serum is hallucinogenic or every player character is terribly bad at improvising.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7582 on: January 09, 2014, 01:49:53 pm »

Or the interrogators are the transdimensional police, and this is just a routine case to them - kinda boring, really.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7583 on: January 09, 2014, 03:57:17 pm »

Either the interrogator's truth serum is hallucinogenic or every player character is terribly bad at improvising.
This makes me imagine a game where everyone takes turns telling a story, and, if the person telling the story makes their character seem too ridiculously powerful or humiliates another character too much, other players can step in and retell the story from the part where it went "wrong".

Though I think that sort of think would only work well in person or over voice chat, or at the very least typed chat with people only adding in a few words at a time.

I suppose it could work well in PbP if you're doing separate interrogations and everyone takes turns telling the same story, leaving blanks for other players to see through things they didn't observe. To aid this, very rarely should all players be present at the same time in a story; usually there should just be about two or three or the narrator by his or herself. Though I'm not sure if this would work as an RtD or should be put in FG&RP.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7584 on: January 09, 2014, 04:29:57 pm »

Kinda want to do a Monk-esque game, where everyone can pick a role and one of the skills related to it, in a military enviroment.

Adding the "Morale" system, where characters will lose their abilities and positive modifiers when bad things start happening.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7585 on: January 09, 2014, 04:48:26 pm »

Re: Interrogation - all GMs should be encouraged to provide outrageous cliffhangers ('So there we were, with a fireball the size of the moon hurtling at us...') and maddeningly vague plot hooks ('What about you then, prisoner? What's your part in this? And how on earth did you end up with this?') whenever passing the ball over to their successor. No matter how they intend to continue.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7586 on: January 09, 2014, 04:57:39 pm »

For purposes of coherency, though, the players should probably all decide on a setting and genre beforehand. Otherwise it'll be a mess.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7587 on: January 09, 2014, 05:36:46 pm »

Idea. Every GM period, the GM can set a single rule about the setting and genre. It's just a factoid about the world that must be observed. So, the first GM goes "This is set on Earth", the next goes "This takes place at the peak of the Roman Empire", the next goes "Zombies are a daily fact of life". Basically, it's a more streamlined way of planning out a setting that prevents any "No, that didn't happen" type shutdowns. This, of course, doesn't mean you can't introduce your own elements if they aren't specifically against the rules.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:39:04 pm by Fniff »

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7588 on: January 10, 2014, 12:33:12 am »

I'd like to see a thread based solely on choosing a number of people, then letting them do exactly that, order based on die rolls. The setting is fleshed out in some way, and placed in a guidebook of sorts.

So, let's say, the next six posts who want to add something to this can, and I'll try to write something about the result.

Post your contribution in bright-ass orange, please!

The setting's technological level is set in the near future relative to earth's timeline. In example, Ballistic guns are still in wide use, but vehicle-scale laser weaponry has begun adoption, and machines are part of everyone's life in nearly every facet of life. Google (or whatever company) has released self-driving transit in major cities. Water filters in common sinks are good enough to match bottled water quality in most areas. Fiber-optic cables span every coast and deliver insane connection speeds.

((Remember that that is only the available tech level- not what people are doing with the tech RIGHT NOW if you give them something more important to deal with.))
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7589 on: January 10, 2014, 12:56:21 am »

I thought the point was that the GMs could change systems and settings as they saw fit, with dimensional travel or somesuch. Even if it means space commandos with rayguns intruding on the streets of your Clockpunk Venice.
Pages: 1 ... 504 505 [506] 507 508 ... 661