Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727565 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7605 on: January 11, 2014, 02:39:06 am »

Just gonna post this here: apologies if I'm late posting in any RTDs I'm in, I was out yesterday and at the moment I'm feeling too sick to think of actions and RP etcetera.
Should be back in action before long, unless I die or something. :P
If that's the case just auto me, or let someone else play my character until my party members find a high level cleric.

Oh, and it's great to see the amount of new RTDs starting up lately! The place is really looking lively. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7606 on: January 11, 2014, 07:40:58 am »

I have to say, the orange text setting is seeming pretty cool. I can imagine the perils of sea travel, tracking sea-dweller activity and hoping that storm won't throw you straight over their territory. I'm seeing lots of hardy sea captains staring at the readings of their sensors and muttering 'Always a bad time of year...'.

Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7607 on: January 11, 2014, 11:56:49 am »

Humans have finally cracked the language of the alien race that they've coexisted begrudgingly with for decades now, allowing them to speak on a basic level with them. While advanced concepts of the language are lost on humans for now, an attempt to make peace talks has been launched. The Hylotls, as closely translated into English as we could manage as of now, refuse to give up claims of the air and sea, although allowance for bridges connecting the major continents through the smaller islands between them seems to be losing opposition. What's more, different groups of Hylotls seem to coexist in different territories under the waves, as it was previously thought, they were a single organized race. Their government is led by a conference of all major leaders of territories, followed by the different systems of government underneath each leader in their own territory. These boundaries are constantly contested, though it seems that this is done without full-out war, and rather, ceremonial battles. The Hylotls have given us a rough map of the oceans and which territories they contain, as well as a description of their governments. Few are capitalistic, although they do exist, and roughly 30% of the ocean has a communistic bend. There are some governments run by factors we cannot quite grasp, there are limited monarchies with and without parliaments, there are even caste-based societies. This has made some talks very difficult, as we have capitalism and communism as our largest ideals, and even then we often carry them out much differently. Some leaders are violently opposed to the bridges, others don't care, some support letting us trade amongst ourselves without the use of boats, and some say they do not wish to vote as their people would not agree on the best course of action. One of the capitalistic leaders has warned that there are many unrepresented sub-groups that may react very violently, as they are not under pressure from the council to stand down. It is explained that the council is not in control of everything but rather a spearhead to guide all Hylotl.

The Hylotls have better missiles than we do, and while we have not gone to war due to the absurd logistics of trying to fight underwater/ the Hylotl's inability to survive on land for long, it is clear that our actions may spark some rebellions. We have been warned that since we are not Hylotl, their way of settling disputes will not work for us, and war will be inevitable should we push ahead without their consent. It may be possible for some Hylotl to live on land for a period of time, as they have very varied physiologies compared to our rather limited differences based on skin color and features, but the Hylotl seem unwilling to utilize this to instigate war. There is an equilibrium, and both sides feel the bridge project could easily tip the scales unfavorably to one side.

Humans rely heavily on technology, and they've got it to quite an advanced point- transit is automated, but forced to be self-contained on the seperated landmasses, and most cargo shipping is done with risky sailing in large scale or small drones for small scale. Some sailors have managed to make peace with the Hylotl by various means, some have been known to share cultural information and have been given hylotl cultural artifacts, while others simply do their best to avoid interaction. Fights are rare, but involve heavy losses.

The internet is an alien concept to the Hylotl, and some have stated that should they be allowed access/ given underwater connection points, they will set aside a territory exclusively for humans. It is unknown if this means we will be expected to hold ceremonial battles for this territory if set up.

Some islands, and likewise, some small areas within territories underwater, have governments on a smaller scale that don't easily match with those of the larger areas. We have some known dictatorships, but as our attention is elsewhere, aid is very difficult to send. We are not sure which side, if any, the Hylotl classically aid, but they have let us known that there are radical groups in existence.

We use very high altitude craft to get important people around from large landmass to large landmass, and carry equally important cargo. None of them have been shot down, but it's implied that the hylotl know we are using their airspace and only respect the flights due to the lengths taken to keep the Hylotl happy. They say this is a great example of why we should be allowed to expand and integrate, but other leaders say it's a reason why we cannot be trusted to keep to hylotl ways of life and should not be allowed any more territory than what we have now.

Player characters may find themselves diplomats, protecting diplomats, building bridges, protecting bridges, sailing cargo, flying cargo, being Hylotls, or other things as designed by a GM.

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7608 on: January 11, 2014, 12:13:01 pm »

That saaaaid, this is not really a place for that. Plus, Tsuchigumo, you already had one addition, jeez, quit hogging it.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7609 on: January 11, 2014, 12:17:00 pm »

That was the result, or supposed to be. I did say I was going to write it today...

I'll start a thread if people want to keep something like that going though.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7610 on: January 11, 2014, 12:59:38 pm »

Is the orangetext game still going on?
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7611 on: January 11, 2014, 01:43:18 pm »

^^ Yep, I'm going to have to make a thread. To clarify:

It was never a game, just a test to see if multiple people adding things to a setting could produce unique, interesting results.

I'll start a thread- you may choose at any time to become a Color God. Color Gods start by posting their "seed" (beginning contribution to the world) in a currently unused color, people add to it until the original poster is happy, the original poster or anyone else who wants to take a shot at it posts the finished product and it's copied to the "Worlds List", a resource for people making RtDs to have very unique settings. Each setting, once complete, goes on to a pastebin, is put in the second post, and is free to use from there.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7612 on: January 11, 2014, 01:46:11 pm »

While I like the idea just for general world building, I doubt it'd be used for RTD settings much. Except if the worlds when then feature in a multi-GM world-hopping RTD (some version of what we've been talking about). It could get people more into the setting of a normal RTD too, of course, if the players themselves had a hand in its creation.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7613 on: January 13, 2014, 12:51:21 pm »

Came up with a attributes system I'm happy with.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I like it because it's general enough not to have too many stats. I like my things non-complicated. Anyway, does anyone know a way to test point-buy systems quickly and easily? I know it's possible to fully randomize character sheets for certain games, but I don't know how.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7614 on: January 14, 2014, 08:17:51 pm »

Warhammer 40K RtD idea, give me any advice/criticism... haven't read ANY of the thread sooo.. hope this isn't outa left field for you guys.
Forgotten Heroes
-   
Backstory/setting
-   Salvos, a world ruled by the Imperium. Countless battles have swept the face of this agrarian world, leaving behind nothing but wreckage. Burnt cities dot the skyline, and the bodies and weapons of numberless combatants spread over the continents on large battlefields, like feeding grounds. A recent Waaagh! by the Orks has caused fresh damage to this almost forgotten place, to which the imperium had responded. But the Ork's claim to this world was stronger than the Imperium's will to hold it. Before sounding their withdrawal from orbit, the Lord-Commander of the system left a small outpost on Salvos, with a Warp Beacon, and orders to inform of any large scale Xenos movements through this system. That was 2 years ago. You are an Imperial soldier that has survived the harsh environment so far. And will face greater perils to come.
-   Information
-   So this is my first/experimental RtD that I have done, and I will introduce some different scalings(mainly for ease of GMing for me). Summary of the above, if you don't want to read it, is you will be one of 3(4?) classes of Imperial soldiers left on the world of Salvos(below). You will undertake different tasks to try and ensure the survival of your meager outpost. Death is inevitable. The best you can expect is an honorable one. For the Emperor!
I'll start with a group of four players, and if enough people join and I get the feel of GMing, I'll up it to eight. After that, you go onto the waitlist until someone dies.
I will be using the all too common 6d for most rolls, occasionally others if necessary. Wounding is taken into account with REALISM. No health points. Damage is taken into account by armor strength and weapon power. If you die, you may rejoin at the bottom of the waitlist.
Experience is awarded after events (battles, missions, the like) evenly, along with requisition points. Req points are used in Munitorium to acquire new armaments. After each combat/retrieval mission, you earn 5 stat points and 3 skill  points as well as 4 Requisition points.
A few other things:
There are Holy Sigils as well as normal armaments in the Munitorium for purchase, which may increase some attributes.
I chose not to include Psykers (it would complicate things a little more than I would like) since magical powers, ethereal battles, and Warp control is harder for me to keep track of. But don't worry, the Warp may come into effect on you later...
The number in front of each class signifies how many are open. This may change depending on players that join or otherwise.
Please remember that this is my first RtD, though I have played in others, so keep in the spirit of the game.
If you have any questions, ask them, I would like to have any suggestions as well.
First come first served, and if there is competition for a class, I will pick the best bio.

Character sheet should be:

Classes
Munitorium

*all bolt weapons are available in scaled down sizes for regular human use, but you must still meet the strength requirements.
**most ranges are subject to modifiers.
Weaponry: ALL CONVENTIONAL WEAPONS COME WITH (1) CLIP, STANDARD. Rocket Launcher comes with (2) rockets, Grenade launcher with (2) Frags.

Armor, ammo, and augmentation:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 08:30:36 am by WhitiusOpus »
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7615 on: January 14, 2014, 08:57:34 pm »

You should talk with adwarf or DigitalHellhound or someone who's very much into WH40K.

That is interesting and I find myself interested in someone running that. x3

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7616 on: January 14, 2014, 09:16:55 pm »

Commissar class perk "Feared"' is kinda canceled out by their overcoat's effect. By the way, might be cool having a civilian class (Recruit? Militia?) who starts out untrained and badly equipped (Pitchfork, slugthrower pistol/rifle at best) but has handy perks. For example: "Local: +1 to intituion relating to the surrounding area" and "The Emperor Protects: +1 to rolls against fear relating to xenos/heresy."

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7617 on: January 14, 2014, 10:21:16 pm »

Thanks Tir, I talked to hellhound and he said to post it here :P.
@ Fniff, I was thinking along those lines, but maybe I can have the +1 effect as a perk for the Commissar, not his Coat?
also, I was going to make a local, but the missions will be very challenging, and someone starting with a slugthrower will be a little behind the curve :). Even the *relatively* weaker class of techpriest, even though not meant to be directly in combat, is better equipped.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7618 on: January 14, 2014, 10:52:29 pm »

I am always interested in playing in WH40K game of any type!

I think the problem with the +1 Charisma bonus is simply that it means that the commissar never takes a negative hit to his Charisma, even if feared. Changing where the bonus is at won't change the problem. If you really want the coat to have a bonus attached to it, and want to stay in the basic flavor of the setting I suggest going with a +1 bonus to interacting with Nobles/Leadership/Civilians (and you can throw in a -1 Charisma bonus to the troops he's leading if you want to be nasty about it). Reasoning is, most commissars are not loved at all by the troops they lead. The ones who walk around in their coat all the time are likely also the ones who are willing to use their authority to be pushy about things rather than work things out diplomatically. So that's my two cents.
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7619 on: January 14, 2014, 11:00:19 pm »

HRM. Perhaps the other bonus could be that you have a shitton of badly equipped buddies? Cannon fodder, basically, but if you train them up and equip the ones who don't get killed you'd have a serious advantage. Basically, militias would be the Imperial Guard to the Imperial Guard. Or utilizing Zerg rush for a less complex metaphor.
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 661