Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 728465 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

Personally, the sky-island idea always seems really weird to me (in a kind of bad way). But the alignment system is interesting, and the gods-versus-notquitegods idea is certainly more unique than what I usually see (gods-versus-gods/demons).
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Whoops
« Reply #5566 on: December 06, 2012, 07:12:14 pm »

Spoiler: Sorry (click to show/hide)

An Evening With Accidental Yoghurt

The room swirls.

The accordion stops.

You take a minute to breath.

That was amazing, and you know you were right to come. You know you have to ask.

"That one, uh," mumbles Ellery Braithwaite, putting his accordion down, "That one's inspired by the lost explorers of Northern Canada, but it's mostly about love and depression. I guess it's kinda punk-folk. I guess quite a lot of our songs are about love at the moment. Love and accordions."

"Yeah," agrees Pembroke, stepping out from behind the drums and strapping on a shining wooden bouzouki as he speaks into a mic. "And this is one I've been working on since I was in Bulgaria, Ellery's added in this pretty serious shit about love and poverty... It really speaks to me when I'm playing, man... It's called Recalcitrant Heathen."

He starts singing a serious, mournful lyric about the Irish Famine, and between your flushes of musical pleasure you can just about concentrate enough to make out the deeply layered subtext about the global economy... about intimacy... about loss...

You look around. The room's packed. There's over a dozen people here, all of them as hard into folk as you. You've never seen the Dog buzz with such musical intensity, never seen such excitement here before. It's definitely something special. Every head nods in time to every beat from Ellery Braithwaites's tambourine.

You feel yourself getting lost.

You don't really notice the band finishing off, packing up, heading to the grubby bar at the back of the room. You don't really notice yourself walking over to them, entranced by what you've just heard. Suddenly you're speaking to them. Accidental Yoghurt. The most progressive folk act in the Black Country.

"So... uh... you looking for anyone to play with you a bit?"

"Yeah sure," says Pembroke, putting down his pint of bitter and wiping a little of it from his workmanlike beard. "We're always looking for collaborations, man. Keeps it fresh and stuff... What you working on at the moment? What do you play? You wanna come down to our band practice Tuesday night?"

You try not to soil yourself with excitement.

ROLL TO BE A FOLK STAR

This is a sample character application which also gives a little insight into one of the band's founding members:
Spoiler: Who are you? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: What do you play? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: What? (click to show/hide)

choobakka

• Bay Watcher
  • The same thing we do every night, Pinky...
    • View Profile

The d12 is a sexy, sexy die. Dem pentagons...

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I want to run a quick, generic fantasy RTD with no rules beyond the Gatleos/lawastooshort wound/ability system. I'm not sure I have the time, though. Most of my other attempts at stuff like this have been bogged down by maps/illustrations and management.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

I never do illustrations, despite the fact I can (it takes a lot of time, though.)
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

What about a game where players have some kind of save/reload function?

i.e. things go horribly wrong and so you can (a limited amount of lives or something) revert to how it was a turn ago?

It only occurred to me because I was thinking about Roll to Look After Baby, and every possible action I thought of ended up with the house burning down.

Spoiler: Also (click to show/hide)

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile

What about a game where players have some kind of save/reload function?

i.e. things go horribly wrong and so you can (a limited amount of lives or something) revert to how it was a turn ago?

It only occurred to me because I was thinking about Roll to Look After Baby, and every possible action I thought of ended up with the house burning down.

Spoiler: Also (click to show/hide)
Kinda like savestates when you're playing an emulated game? Likely Super Mario World or one of its many ROMhacks?
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness

Or TIME TRAVEL!
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

I don't know, hadn't really thought about it enough. I guess normally for an rtd death and a new player work just fine.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Totally offtopic, but is the chat broken or is my client just borked? Because i can't see the captcha at all.

Nvm, fixed it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:48:30 pm by Mr.Zero »
Durrr..

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile

Roll to Time Travel:
So, it's the beginning of the 23rd century, and after a LOT of trouble, the renowned scientist M. Oron has finally created a working time travel device! The initial invention is rather unreliable and can only time travel for short distances, but his later designs grow more and more intricate, until finally reaching a usable point. However, not content with this, he begins experimenting with time paradoxes, using a bomb inside a time machine to destroy an earlier version of itself, and so on. Finally, one of the resulting temporal anomalies completely consumes his lab, scattering several of his devices across the timeline.

You've found one of those devices.

Spoiler: What is this? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Time machines (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

So yeah. I think this RTD could be really fun, simply because nothing is EVER set in stone, and literally anything could change on the whim of a particularly intelligent/skilled/lucky time traveller. You could completely wreck history in any number of ways, bring past players back to life by interfering in the events that lead to their deaths... really, the only limit on what's possible is the imagination of the players and the sanity of the GM.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile

Thats really well thought out!
One question, how many points do you get for stats?
Anyway Pre-In!
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

I would be in that in a heartbeat.

Dibs on Carmen Sandiego!

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile

I haven't completely ironed out the stats yet, but it'll be similar to the Einstenian Roulette system.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

I'd most definitely want in.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 661