Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 726976 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile

Roll d6. 1-2 Perplexicon, 3-4 Law of Ueki, 5-6 Final boss.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Roll d6. 1-2 Perplexicon, 3-4 Law of Ueki, 5-6 Final boss.
Some things just can't be put to a roll.  And I'm not running perplexicon!  It's my own magic system >.>  Don't try to sway me!

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile

-snip-
After this discussion, I will probably drop Savvy.  I really would like to have it, but it just seems like a bad idea.  I'll probably just roll intuition as an unmodified roll.  Sort of just a "luck" roll.
You know what? A successful Stealth attack will non-mentally(so no will rolls)kill you no matter how many points in ANT/DEX you put, provided their STR is high enough.
Just change the name to PRT.
Spoiler: Great Worlds (click to show/hide)
I'm surprised no one wants to tell me something about this.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:00:52 am by H4zardZ1 »
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-snip-
After this discussion, I will probably drop Savvy.  I really would like to have it, but it just seems like a bad idea.  I'll probably just roll intuition as an unmodified roll.  Sort of just a "luck" roll.
You know what? A successful Stealth attack will non-mentally(so no will rolls)kill you no matter how many points in ANT/DEX you put, provided their STR is high enough.
Just change the name to PRT.
Having high Will means higher Endurance, which means less likely to pass out/die from a hit.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Let's see, got two RTD ideas, would like to run one.

IDEA #1

Outfoxed
A Kitsune RTD

Deep in the Lands Untamed, slightly beyond the reach of humankind lies the Altar of the Fox God, still pristine after all these thousands of years. You approach the altar together piously, carefully observing the nine-tailed golden fox perched atop it awaiting your arrival. It is the Old Wise Fox, the closest thing to a direct representative that the Fox God has in this world, and it is her wisdom that you have come to listen to. You are among the few who have kept to the godly ways, following the dictates of the Fox God that your other kin turned away from all these years ago, unwilling to make the sacrifices required, preferring instead to lead a lowly existence outside of the holy lands. Even now you hear tales of their trickery and villainy. But this is not why you are here today, of course.

As the Old Wise Fox speaks, not in words, but in suggestions appearing in your mind, you feel that the others here, as you suspected, are here for the same reason. The holy lands have grown sick. Horrid parasites overwhelm your weaker kin, rendering them unable to shift their shapes as freely as you do and thickening their blood, and you have not seen a younger fox than yourself make it to fifty in some time now. Your enemies in the holy lands grow bold, numerous and fierce in the face of this, hunting down young and old. The powers of your fellow foxes, by attrition if nothing else, appear to be dwindling. This is why you are gathered here - the youngest and most talented among your number shall be sent westward, straight out of the Lands Untamed towards the lands of the lesser races, humans among them, to seek their magical cures and artifacts, whatever you can find, to solve this great and terrible crisis. You are to trust no one on the way, for any helpful stranger may be secretly a heathen fox sent to lead you astray. Trust only in the Fox God and your better judgement as you make your way to find your people's salvation.

Spoiler: What's this? (click to show/hide)

IDEA #2

Sudden Death
A Brawling RTD

It's Wednesday evening, and you find yourself inside O'Sheng's Tavern, the local stop for all your communal alcohol needs. It's reasonably full at this time, and the familiar din of the establishment is very much present. You feel at home already as you park your behind in front of the counter and place the usual order, which O'Sheng has already begun pouring beforehand. You are nothing if not predictable. You sip at your drink while examining the latest offerings in televised gladiatorial theater, when suddenly the broadcast cuts out, replaced by an odd-looking man in what looks to be an ancient-looking rubber mask. The shutters on the bar's windows and doors suddenly fall, locking in place, and an alarm goes off somewhere in the back rooms. O'Sheng turns to look in the direction of the alarms, but is distracted when the man on the screen speaks.

"Hello!" he begins in a sing-song voice. "You've been chosen for today's edition of Sudden Death, the show to end all shows! Your task for today is to kill all of the other people in this bar by any means necessary, or face certain death within the hour as explosives rigged beneath this establishment go off. The last one among you wins the Sudden Death Grand Prize, valued by some estimates at over 6.55 million credits! Now! Are you ready?"

A few moments pass as the man on the screen rubs his hands. Everybody looks a little tense. O'Sheng casts a doubtful look over his regulars, then at his double-barreled shotgun hanging on the nearby wall.

"BEGIN!"

Chaos fails to erupt immediately. But give it a few moments!

Spoiler: Mechanics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Characters (click to show/hide)

Now, which of these would be more interesting? Anybody have suggestions about either of them?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile

Sudden Death sounds fun and violent.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since story based RTDs rarely ever make it to completion, I'm going to vote for Sudden Death.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

blazing glory

It does sound interesting.

I'll totally grab a bar stool.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

BWAHAHAHA!!! I can imagine what would happen in that game(over in 7-19 turns).
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

In terms of what I'd like to play in and/or read along with, Outfoxed gets my vote. It sounds like a neat story, and the shapeshifting/conman gameplay sounds intriguing.

I'm sure that I don't have to tell you everyone and their uncle would hop into an arena deathmatch style game. Nothing particularly exciting mechanically apart from the dogpile trick, which I think is neat. I'm not a huge fan of rolling for initiative every turn since it tends to lead to "lost actions" where unforeseen consequences of previous players' actions means yours is spent doing nothing; it could be neat to roll next turn's initiative at the end of the current turn so everyone knows what the turn order will be, but whether less chaos is a desirable attribute in a barroom brawler is entirely debatable.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd participate in Outfoxed, but not the brawl. I think we all know what Kevak is voting for.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

In terms of what I'd like to play in and/or read along with, Outfoxed gets my vote. It sounds like a neat story, and the shapeshifting/conman gameplay sounds intriguing.

I'm sure that I don't have to tell you everyone and their uncle would hop into an arena deathmatch style game. Nothing particularly exciting mechanically apart from the dogpile trick, which I think is neat. I'm not a huge fan of rolling for initiative every turn since it tends to lead to "lost actions" where unforeseen consequences of previous players' actions means yours is spent doing nothing; it could be neat to roll next turn's initiative at the end of the current turn so everyone knows what the turn order will be, but whether less chaos is a desirable attribute in a barroom brawler is entirely debatable.

Hm. I suppose you're correct about a certain lack of refinement for Sudden Death, which makes me think it'd be productive to develop it some more (first thought was that inapplicable actions default to attacking somebody random in the spirit of a barroom brawl, but that might be a bit of a problem), especially on the incitement part to actually come up with concrete mechanics at some point.

So I do think I'll go with Outfoxed first of all, since I've got most of what I need for that already.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

In to that.

Suggestion: sometimes good players get overwhelmed by players who make long and elaborate character sheets in games where the quality of the character sheet decides who gets in. For the Bio-Spikes RTD, I'm thinking to do a mixed thing- the first three to submit charsheets get in, and also the three best character sheets posted afterwards. Plus one more, who is currently reserved in it. That mixed system may work well for you.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Hm. I suppose you're correct about a certain lack of refinement for Sudden Death, which makes me think it'd be productive to develop it some more (first thought was that inapplicable actions default to attacking somebody random in the spirit of a barroom brawl, but that might be a bit of a problem), especially on the incitement part to actually come up with concrete mechanics at some point.

So I do think I'll go with Outfoxed first of all, since I've got most of what I need for that already.

I will say that arena deathmatch RTDs don't necessarily need more involved mechanics to be fun, unless you think you'd get bored otherwise, but far be it from me to talk you into putting anything ahead of Outfoxed :P

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I was thinking of doing something like Wikipedia Article Warfare but instead of using wikipedia, I use the superpower wiki and everyone gets one power. Is anyone interested?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 661