Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727290 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7230 on: November 02, 2013, 07:10:14 am »

Has anyone ever had rules for chases or races in an RTD?

The system I use for chases is that, when a chase is initiated, a sort of score is kept. It starts out at 0. Both the escapee and the pursuer get rolls for escape and pursuit, respectively. Then you subtract the pursuit roll from the escape roll, and add the result to the score. When the score reaches +3, the escapee escapes. If it reaches -3, they are caught.

Spoiler: Example (click to show/hide)

It's worked reasonably well for me, but there is the problem that it may result in overly long chases brought about by similar rolls. Requires fine-tuning, no doubt.

Add a timer. After a certain amount of time, it's either "positive is escape, negative is defeat", or a +1 to whichever roll was higher for every turn past the "timeout".
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7231 on: November 02, 2013, 02:30:53 pm »

I'm beginning work on my random-arena-arena game.

You'll also be able to pick between generation classes, which affect what kind of weapons/armor/equipment you get.

Technician: +1 Equipment, -1 Armor
Trapper: +1 Equipment, -1 Weapon
Guerilla: +1 Weapon, -1 Armor
Soldier: +1 Weapon, -1 Equipment
Tank: +1 Armor, -1 Equipment
Bastion: +1 Armor, -1 Weapon
Average: No Modifications

These can't be chosen after rolling, so you may get unlucky and add to a high roll while subtracting from a low one, though you might be going for minmaxing anyway...

I'm going to start working on the event table, broken up into Miniscule, Minor, Major, and Monolithic events (M1 to M4, respectively). A Miniscule event might be a slight breeze or depressed ghost wanderer, a Minor event may be a mysterious gas leak or rainstorm, a Major event might be an earthquake or a horde of zombies, a Monolithic event may be a cruise missile impact or an entire change of maps.

Afterwards, I'll start on the equipment table, including armor and weapons, then I'll try and run it. Shouldn't be too hard, as the maps are done in ascii.

Characters have a base HP of 4, a base attack of 1, and a base movement of 6(running). If they can sneak and are sneaking, their move ranges from 2-4 depending on equipment. I'm not sure if I'll include sneaking or not yet as having to PM individual coordinates might be a huge hassle, and it's not integral to the idea.

Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #7232 on: November 02, 2013, 07:06:26 pm »

Has anyone ever had rules for chases or races in an RTD?

The system I use for chases is that, when a chase is initiated, a sort of score is kept. It starts out at 0. Both the escapee and the pursuer get rolls for escape and pursuit, respectively. Then you subtract the pursuit roll from the escape roll, and add the result to the score. When the score reaches +3, the escapee escapes. If it reaches -3, they are caught.

It's worked reasonably well for me, but there is the problem that it may result in overly long chases brought about by similar rolls. Requires fine-tuning, no doubt.

That makes sense. I like it.

I've seen a somewhat similar system in the tabletop RPG Night's Black Agents that made me want to put one in my game. Mechanically it's pretty close to RTD standards.

Instead of being directly opposed that system has a difficulty number based on the terrain. Generally 1-3. Rolling >= the difficulty on a 1d6 is success. If the prey succeeds and the pursuer fails the lead increases by 2. If the prey fails and the pursuer succeeds the lead decreases by 2. If they both succeed or both fail the lead changes by one in favor of whoever has the faster vehicle/legs. The lead generally starts at 5, and the prey escapes if it gets to 10, or is cornered if it's reduced to 0.

It also includes mechanics for using skills to create events in the chase that change the odds. Like reduce your target number or increase your opponent's.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7233 on: November 02, 2013, 09:58:44 pm »

I now have a huge-ass table of stuff and can likely run the arena game now.

Weapons are all guns, however, melee is supported, melee weapons can be found, and armor-abilities may give you one hell of a melee attack. Random things happen now. Might start it up tomorrow.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7234 on: November 03, 2013, 08:17:55 pm »

On the chase thing, I added additional rules to make things more difficult.

Environmental Rolls
Danger & Difficulty is measured on a scale of 0-3.

Danger is environmental hazards in the area that would actively harm the player if they ran into them, like fire or a river. When the chase happens in a Dangerous area, a roll is made. If it fails, then the player gets hurt. When the other person is dead/unable to keep up, then the pursuit is over. At 0, no damage is dealt. At 1, one damage is dealt. At 2, three damage is dealt. At 3, five damage is dealt.

Difficulty is environmental difficulties in the area that makes the player be impeded in the chase, like market stalls or unsteady roads. When the chase happens in a Difficult area, actions and stunts taken during the chase get a progressively large modifier equal to the Difficulty rating.

Stunts
Stunts are things the player can do to gain an advantage in the race, like shooting at the opponent or ramming him off the road. The player can roll to look for an opportunity for a stunt. If they roll successfully, then there is an opportunity for a stunt. A stunt can either remove Danger/Difficulty for the stunt player entirely, lower/raise the pursuit meter by one, or increase Danger/Difficulty to 3 for the opposing player for a turn.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7235 on: November 04, 2013, 10:27:04 pm »

Been working on rules for a setting called "The Fall", after reading the thread for it.
Link to said thread > http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/9146018/
Yes, it was on 4chan. Be warned. The idea has sorta inspired me though. Not sure if it would go well in RTD format, but that's probably how I would run it(large dice like d10s and d12s probably, otherwise edge running would be far more lethal than it needs to be). Its highly like that I won't run it personally, but if anyone wants to work on me with this stuff and maybe run it eventually, that would be great. I've basically organized and compiled the good stuff from the thread into a series of files, so that's the first step done. By nature of the game setting mapping would be difficult, so combat would probably be abstracted somewhat. Not in a bad way though. Ranges would probably narrow down to short, medium, long instead of precise distances. "What do I see right now?" becomes an important question. The main thing that needs setting up is a list of random junk to drop throughout the world. Part of the appeal would be that you could potentially play as anything, provided the gm allows it.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7236 on: November 05, 2013, 10:18:19 pm »

No comments on that? Okay then. In retrospect it is definitely better off not as an RTD. Sure, dice rolls would probably be a thing, but they'd probably all be hidden. Freeform rp format might be better. Main thing the setting lacks honestly is a goal for the players. Sure, "Get out of The Fall" qualifies as a goal, but how attainable that would be needs to be determined. Probably the easiest way to make that work is to just make it consume a large amount of edge dust, and have a few other requirements. Making it possible for wizards and such able to just teleport/planeshift/etc out cheapens things. Still working on character making mechanics though. A big choice will probably be whether the character was born in the fall, or just arrived from outside.

Note about other stuff I'm working on: The monster hunter RTD is still in testing, and I'm also fiddling around with a couple other things. Nothing that hasn't been messed around with already for the most part though.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7237 on: November 05, 2013, 10:51:04 pm »

There was a roleplay similar in concept to Fall, where you are in a place where the multiverse is weak and stuff sorta shows up. Called Lost and Found of the Multiverse. It got really out of hand pretty quick though, but that was more of how the game was run, rather than the setting itself.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7238 on: November 05, 2013, 11:43:54 pm »

There was a roleplay similar in concept to Fall, where you are in a place where the multiverse is weak and stuff sorta shows up. Called Lost and Found of the Multiverse. It got really out of hand pretty quick though, but that was more of how the game was run, rather than the setting itself.
I've read those threads, but I didn't participate. Everything:Gaiden is somewhat similar as well from what I've read of it. But yeah, Fall is somewhat similar. It seems like it has somewhat more game potential though. There was another thread about bags of holding, and where all the stuff goes when you put a bag of holding inside a bag of holding. Here's the links if interested.  The concept gets grimdark rather quickly though, and like The Fall thread, not all if it would probably be used anyway. There's some pretty good game concepts on the tg archive if you feel like digging around.
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/16859494/
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/16867884/

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7239 on: November 06, 2013, 02:38:33 pm »

I've been thinking about an adventuring game with classes, but... different-than-normal classes.

Mages, for instance, are described as those "who devoted themselves to a god, learning the language of the universe and how to manipulate it". Imagine that the world is like your computer, and you learn Java. Binary/Machine Code is the "pure" God Language, Java is the "language" your branch of magi use (there's C++ wizards about!), it comes with boons and drawbacks, and you're a human.

You can't learn the origin language, but by forming a pact with one of the myriad gods, you gain a power. Consider, say, aligning with Ouroboros. You get alchemy through touch, immunity to any toxin, poison, parasite, sickness, virus, or plague magical or otherwise. You even get the gift of infinite life.

The disadvantages? Well, having to consume an ever-rising number of souls before the end of every "life" (80 Years) is quite taxing. At first, you get to buy the next go-around for fairly cheap, but every  lifetime, the number doubles. You also partially lose sense of hearing and smell, although your sense of taste is very acute.

Mages can pledge to multiple gods so long as they are not in contest- gods have moral allegiances as well as personal squabbles. Ouroboros is "True Neutral", meaning that you're able to pair/be friendly with/not be smited by any other gods if you align with them as well. You can't leave once you've made a bond though, unless you do something to really piss the god off- generally they'll revoke their power and curse the hell out of you if not outright smite you.
---
Warriors are much the same way. Warriors and rangers pledge to a god, gods, or group of gods, so long as the gods in question don't hate one another. For instance, aligning with Yggdroth (Working on a pure ton of different gods- this one is an eldritch Norse god) will give you strength as well as a few... physical modifications. Warriors often find that they are granted more power for less than with Mages, however, they are often required to be much more active in pleasing their respective god through whatever it is they want. Some gods don't really want anything- Yggdroth, for instance, simply comes with the curse of exuding a dark aura and becoming feared, making social interaction very difficult. You also need to consume flesh of sentients.

Rangers are close to Warriors, though they are afforded different boons/curses. Slyphemes (combination of Slyph and Hermes) grants the user extreme speed and flight, though their hunger is insatiable and they grow weak if they don't eat once every two hours. They do not require sleep, though they can sleep and generally eat a huge dinner so that they can without waking up starved. They gain the very power of the wind, enhancing their speed. They can move at Mach 5, though generally the self-inflicted harm from such a task makes it stupid to do so (Simulations of the SR-71 Blackbird say it can reach Mach 8.2 before the engines just melt from the heat.), especially considering their weakness to impacts (hollow bones).

---

The world is a collection of cities and towns, roughly 75% of the continent is uncivilized, due to wild beasts. Huge gathering areas for the monsters are often called Strata, and they can penetrate many floors into the ground. At the bottom of any Strata is a Boss Monster, that if slain, causes the entire Strata to fall into ruin and become accessible for humans to colonize.

---

The world exists in a very-far-off future, though this is mostly unexplained (because of how distant: WWIII which brings a nuclear end to 99% of humanity is only told of in a sacred legend, and is considered about as old as we consider the story of Adam and Eve). What is explained is the sheer variety of technology and weaponry- people know how to make and use smartphones, there is a such thing as the internet, although it isn't something the average person owns. Most people are villagers who get education in return for some of their produce, most people lead an agricultural life, although anything productive (cottage industry) is profitable. You'll find blacksmiths next to gun-makers, potion shops next to drugstores. Higher technology tends to cost more money, though it all depends on the materials that went into making the item in question.

---

Each Strata gets more and more thematic on the way down. If a Boss Monster set up shop in an ancient secret underground military facility, you may get robotic and gun-toting monsters on the way down, and metal walls beginning to take over the nature that presides above.

---

You would start in a semi-large city. It has all the shops you could possibly need, many nonessential venues, and plenty of places to travel from there.

nightcrafter27

• Bay Watcher
  • Extrapolator Extrodinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7240 on: November 06, 2013, 06:36:25 pm »

If you didn't bog the game down with mechanics, it could be very fun. If players get to start with a pledge during character creation, it would get players into the fight immediately. The setting is also really unique, and the variety of dungeons/Strata would keep things interesting. If you start this, sign me up :)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7241 on: November 06, 2013, 07:56:29 pm »

Systems... hmm. The systems are currently the weak point, as running anything based around stats is one of my largest areas of failures.

Attacks could be based around damage ranges / effect slots.

Let's say you've chosen the path of a warrior. Swinging a sword around with (2-7), with three slots to modify the weapon with.

After going to a blacksmith, it's now a (2-7) with (Poison)(Poison)(Poison). You've got a 3/8 chance of poisoning any enemy you land a solid hit on.

Speaking of which...

Hits can be defined in three ways: Fumbling, Solid, and Critical. Fumbling is your lowest base damage output, in this case a 2, and opponent's armors count twice against this value. Go negative, and you're knocked back.
Solid is a normal hit.
Critical is a maximum roll. Armor does not apply when one of these hits are landed.
Different weapons have different ways to attain the different hits, though I don't know how so yet. Swords are the easiest- they have a simple range where first and last numbers are special.

Armor is a simple value that takes off some damage you'd take. A dart, a very early throwing weapon, does (1-2). A mostly armored character wouldn't even notice (unless, of course, armorless mage, though there is some armor choices)

It'll take time to sort out. I plan for at least 6 gods in each moral area.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7242 on: November 07, 2013, 01:33:49 pm »

Ok, so I thought of an idea for a game.

Only one person actually "plays" at a time, they are dropped into a barren plain, with not really anything around for miles.
They play as a normal RtD.

Everyone else not in the game suggests events that would happen.
Then a die would be rolled every turn to see which event would be chosen, and that happens.
For example, if a person said "A horde of goblins stroll in" then if that was chosen, a horde of goblins would indeed, randomly stroll in.
The person that called in the event then controls that event until it's resolved, so they would decide whether the goblins attack the player of assist the player.

Every time someone performs an action that hinders/harms the player, they gain one "malevolence", whenever they do something to help the player, they gain one "benevolence". When the player inevitable get brutally murdered, then a new randomly selected player gets dropped in, and then the cycle continues.

For every malevolence the person got, they would get -1 to rolls as a player, and for every benevolence, they would get +1. So while being a total dick is funny, helping the player out lets you live longer when it's your turn.

And then I would probably track how long each player lasts, so you could see if one person lasted 8 turns, and if someone else got killed after just two turns.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7243 on: November 07, 2013, 01:44:55 pm »

If I may suggest something, it would be that instead of cumulative + or - 1s, it should be by turn. I mean, if you rack up three or four benevolences, then you have a pretty high chance of living forever; the other way around, and you'll probably die within a turn or two. But if say you had 10 malevolences, then for ten turns you would have a -1 penalty; not crippling, but it would definitely be a hindrance. And that would work the other way for benevolence, too.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7244 on: November 07, 2013, 01:47:07 pm »

If I may suggest something, it would be that instead of cumulative + or - 1s, it should be by turn. I mean, if you rack up three or four benevolences, then you have a pretty high chance of living forever; the other way around, and you'll probably die within a turn or two. But if say you had 10 malevolences, then for ten turns you would have a -1 penalty; not crippling, but it would definitely be a hindrance. And that would work the other way for benevolence, too.
Hmm, that sounds good.

Since I'd be tracking both benevolence and malevolence separately, would they simply cancel each other out? Or would one go, and then the other? Maybe be a 50/50 chance each time?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 661