Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727202 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7200 on: October 27, 2013, 01:06:29 am »

I loved the time period back in the day when Gatleos used to make games. Mini char creation sheet, somewhat low risk of unmeaningful death, fantastic turns with some real oomph to them, they had some real color and effort.

You gave that man a thimble of water and he'd have filled a damn aqueduct. I still think that the way he did things were really optimal, though I will admit Eternal RTD's namesake is a lie. Nowadays its just half remembered promises of Breakfast Wizards and Homestuck RPG's.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7201 on: October 27, 2013, 03:00:10 am »

Alright, so the basic premise of how my name based generator would work:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Err... not so basic. And I haven't filled out any tables yet, either. However, the player just has to "in", and they become anyone from a hairdresser to a demigod in mechanized tights. Most characters should be relatively balanced to each other, though, even if you're a mundane playing alongside superheroes, due to drawbacks getting stronger as traits get stronger.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7202 on: October 27, 2013, 11:25:09 am »

ooh, I really want to build something like that now.

Possibly have each character have to come up with the answers to five simple questions to determine starting equipment or something? Let's say I need to determine five things:
Possible magical abilities, possible nonmagical abilities, possible unique weapon, possible unique armor, and possible starting kit, if I was making an adventuring game.

1. What is your name? (Adventurer name)
2. What is your favorite color?
3. Name a fancy food you'd like to try.
4. Pick a number between one and fourty four.
5. What's the worst-sounding virus you can find on Wikipedia?
Spoiler:  Answer Set 1 (click to show/hide)

Take all answers, and assign each to it's corresponding number- spaces are 0, as well as any special characters, so that the answers are now:
Spoiler: Set 1 (click to show/hide)
Now, you're going to pick which strings output which items. This is because you probably won't have enough different starting item kits for "15 18 20 8 15 13 25 24 15 22 9 18 9 4 1 5" to be useful. So now:
Magic:       7 18 5 5 14
Nonmagic: 12 15 2 19 20 5 18
Weapon:   19 1 14 25 1
Armor:      15 18 20 8 15 13 25 24 15 22 9 18 9 4 1 5
Kit:            20 8 18 5 5
You could also do what-strings-go-where randomly.
Each item may have a minimum amount of characters as well as a maximum, for instance, you may only want five characters in a kit. Let's say I want five values total for all data, and each has a ceiling of 30 (note, higher than 26, causing some things to be much harder to generate.)
Magic is OK, Weapon is OK, and Kit is OK. Nonmagic and armor need some reworking.
12 15 2 19 20      5 18
15 18 20 8 15      13 25 24 15 22      9 18 9 4 1      5

First, separate the numbers into clumps of five or less, as above.
Then, add the first and second clumps. If you reach the ceiling, (i.e., 20+15=35), subtract 30 until the number is lower than the ceiling. (35=5).

12 15 2 19 20
  5 18
17 32 2 19 20
17 2 2 19 20

15 18 20 8 15
13 25 24 15 22
28 43 44 23 37
28 13 14 23 7

If you still have more, continue adding with the third and fourth, fifth and sixth, etc:

9 18 9 4 1
14 18 9 4 1

Subtract the resulting pairs from the first group. Ignore negatives.
28 13 14 23 7
14 18 9 4 1
14 5 5 19 6

Magic:       7 18 5 5 14
Nonmagic: 17 2 2 19 20
Weapon:   19 1 14 25 1
Armor:      14 5 5 19 6
Kit:            20 8 18 5 5

Now all that's left is to find an interesting way for things to fit together. Generating armor might involve:
1.Core Metal
2.Armor Piece
3.Addition, Metal, or Armor Piece
4.Armor Piece
5.Addition, Metal, or Armor Piece
so if 14 5 5 19 6 resulted in Silver, Legs, Add Shield, Arms, AP Torso, you'd get silver armor with a shield attached to the shin with armguards and a chestplate.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #7203 on: October 27, 2013, 11:48:55 am »

Or you could roll dice on a handful of random tables. The players would never know the difference and it would take something like 1/10th the time. Just sayin.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: October 27, 2013, 12:18:42 pm »

I came up with a premise that would be nice for the mechanic, along with a few simplications to the mechanic. Feel free to use this if you like.

Wanderers of the Multiverse!
So, you are you. Yes, you, the guy sitting at the computer this very moment. You were just doing your usual thing, browsing Bay12, when one day your universe got eaten by the Disciple, a rather nasty eldritch being. You managed to survive through freak chance, and you found yourself drifting throughout the multiverse. You fell through the worlds, picking up both bizarre mutations and items, eventually gaining the ability to travel the multiverse alone and without friends. However, good news is at hand. You managed to meet up with some fellow Bay12ers from roughly similar universes. Together, you might just win the battle against the Disciple and his minions, and maybe even get your normal lives back.

The Mechanics
Random Generator thing I made earlier that you may wanna look at to understand the mechanics of this.

Players get an amount of items/mutations depending on what the first letter of their name is and what place it has in the alphabet. If someone has a number larger then 9, use the largest number in the number.

Example: F (As in, Fniff) is the sixth letter of the alphabet, so I get six items/mutations. If I was named, for instance, Tsuchigumo550, I would have two items instead of 20, while someone named SeriousConcentrate would get 9 items instead of 19.

Then, roll an equal amount of d2s to see whether or not it's a item or a mutation. Items are one, mutations are two.

Example: I roll six d2s, and get 5 items, 1 mutation.

Finally, roll for effects (unique things about the item/mutation). Roll a 1d4 for amount of effects, then roll 1d301.

Example:
First, the mutation. I get a 2 for amount of effects, so I roll twice. I get the results 125 and 268, meaning Jump and Guilt. So I guess as a result of a misdeed, I got the power to jump higher then usual, giving a +1 to agility rolls. I probably feel rather guilty about that.

Then the items.

The first item rolls up 66, Necromantic. I suppose it is an artifact that raises the dead. Nice! The GM will probably limit that.

I then roll 123, 269, and 243. Peace, Guilty, Choking. Oh my, I have done a lot of bad things. The item is a piece of rope that is able to choke people silently (+2 to choking people) and kills them rather peacefully, though I always feel very guilty about it afterwards.

I then roll 50, 153, 199, and 283. Good, Birth, Building, Wood. Huh. The item is a picture of a newborn baby that, when activated, creates a wooden cabin able to shelter you from pain but only works for the pure of heart. Well, that's useless for me. "Fniff the guilt-ridden strangler".

I then roll 12. Insect. It's a swarm of insects I can order to harm people that get a +1 to their activities, but must be fed.

I then roll 288 and 176. Black Hole and Mechanics. It's a mechanical object that can make a black hole for a tempoary time. Kickass.

That's my opinion on how it should be done, anyway. It may be because I'm not a mathhead and thus converting things to hexes and that is a bit beyond me, while random generators are definitely in my area.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: October 27, 2013, 09:53:22 pm »

So I'm starting to solidify a decent RtD system.

Basically, the main attributes are simple skills, which are basically a few things that are relevant to the subject of the game. Skills shouldn't be taken as standard RPG attributes, more as general categories that the character is good at. In my initial plans I provided for just +1 skills (so it's binary whether you have a skill or not), but with some tweaking I could extend them to higher numbers like +2, or into the negatives possibly. All skills do is provide a modifier to die rolls, of course - +1 would bump a 5 up to a 6, and so on.

I conceived of using 2d6 instead of the standard 1d6 for various reasons. For one thing, with the way the skills work a +1 out of six is a huge bonus, which can literally mean life and death according to standard RtD rules - and would prevent a "critical-failure" 1 from ever happening.

After some fucking about with probability, I categorized the possible outcomes as such:
≤2 - 3 (8.333%): Critical Failure, the worst outcome; something very bad happens.
4 - 5 (19.444%): Major Failure, something bad but not terrible happens.
6 - 7 (30.556%): Failure, the action is not accomplished but with no other ill effects.
8 - 9 (25.000%): Success, the action is accomplished but nothing spectacular comes of it.
10 - 11 (13.889%): Solid Success, the action is accomplished with particular success and better than expected.
≥12 (2.778%): Critical Success, the action is completed very well and something particularly good is liable to happen.

Obviously it's skewed toward the worse results; this is because (a) losing is FUN!!! and (b) since I originally envisioned mostly positive modifiers, any of those help balance it out. The use of both 2 and 3 for Critical Failure ensures that having a skill does not prevent a character from suffering a serious - and humorous - accident.

I conceived of a different, but hopefully simple enough, scheme for combat rolls, where 2d6 are rolled for the attacker and 1d6  for the defender, and the defender score is subtracted from the attacker. Both attack and defense rolls can potentially get a bonus based on skill and armor. The basic setup for this is as follows:

≤-4 - -2 (4.63%): Critical Miss, the attacker botches the attack so badly that they injure themselves or leave themselves vulnerable.
-1 - +3 (45.36%): Miss, obviously the attack doesn't hit but with no adverse effects on the attacker.
4 - 6 (33.79%): Hit, the attack hits but without causing more damage than expected.
7 - 9 (14.35%): Solid Hit, the attack goes particularly well (for the attacker!) and causes some extra damage.
10-11 (1.85%): Critical Hit, the attacker seriously injures the defender well beyond what they had expected.

(You will note that the number of decimals is less; this is because the 2d6 values were calculated by hand, while the sheer number of possible outcomes for 2d6 - 1d6 meant I calculated it on this wonderful website.)

What do you think? I'm open to refining the probabilities and all.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: October 28, 2013, 07:51:25 pm »

I'm making an RTD that's simuatling survival horror mechanics. It's meant to be as non-specific as possible: you can have regular serial killers fighting the players alongside Silent Hill esque monsters. I've managed to simulate the map growing steadily more dangerous, the few sane NPCs going insane then backstabbing you, those NPCs you need to rescue who occasionally give you rewards (And occasionally don't), and videogame style bosses who constantly stalk you. I'd share the mechanics, but I'm not quite finished as I'm not sure if I'm making things quite hard enough for players. The game is meant to be rather dangerous (Don't worry, the character profile is rather simplistic and you can just pop back in the next round so it shouldn't be too annoying), so any ideas for mechanics based off survival horror games that would make things more dangerous for players? Hell, just mechanics that make things more dangerous for players while still being fair?

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: October 29, 2013, 07:24:44 am »

Okay an interest check before I get too involved in designing my RTD.

It's an episodic action RTD with a light rule set that centers around a group of people who have developed supernatural abilities from their obsessions (Like Unknown Armies' adepts). They fight creatures that are manifesting as the fabric of reality weakens.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7208 on: October 29, 2013, 11:34:55 am »

This is the sight that greeted me coming to the RTD subforum just now;

piecewise whyyyyy

I'm just saying, he's making everyone else look bad with your insane updating speed and endless walls of threads. Sometime needs to be done.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: October 29, 2013, 03:25:06 pm »

This is the sight that greeted me coming to the RTD subforum just now;

piecewise whyyyyy

I'm just saying, he's making everyone else look bad with your insane updating speed and endless walls of threads. Sometime needs to be done.
Oh god, he's taking your ability to write too, not just the forum.

As for what needs to be done, well, we obviously need to clone Piecewise so we can get someone as dedicated, but also make changes to his brain so that he doesn't attract suspicion due to similar writing style. Then have the clone start a new RTD.

Then, we need to clone the clone three times, and have them writing in shifts so we can catch up to the original while he is sleeping. Eventually, we will win!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7210 on: October 29, 2013, 03:26:57 pm »

But piecewise does not sleep
He never sleeps
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: October 29, 2013, 11:28:18 pm »

Indeed. Piecewise is no mere man, he is a RTD updating robot, to whom a thousand spacemagic-related overshoots are rolled each day, so that he may continue to power his mighty cognitive circuits.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7212 on: October 30, 2013, 05:38:19 am »

Okay, I drafted that obsession magic RTD I mentioned above. Any thoughts?

Spoiler: Opening Bit (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mechanics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Magick (click to show/hide)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: October 30, 2013, 08:56:58 am »

This game soynds rather entertaining, id love to play it as a sci-fi addict... so many rayguns to choose from.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7214 on: October 30, 2013, 09:37:09 am »

I'd be interested in it as well... Reminds me of Genius The Transgression a little bit.
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 661