Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Your Stance on Danger Rooms  (Read 8987 times)

boyhowdy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your Stance on Danger Rooms
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 12:32:48 pm »

I guess it depends on what you're mindset is when you sit down to play DF.  For me it's an opportunity to be creative and I often fill in my own explanations and narratives for gaps in the game mechanics.  Dwarven Water Reactor?  No problem.  These are a dwarfs, after all; they're capable of feats of engineering that humans and elves can't possibly understand.  Likewise, I look at the danger room as more than a bunch of spear traps, but a semi-automated gauntlet designed and implemented by a legendary engineer.  The in-game designation and building process is a high level abstraction of what the dwarfs are actually doing (in many ways this isn't stretch at all).

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 12:37:06 pm »

It depends for me.

If I absolutely need an army that can do a bit of dodging right now, then I'll eventually create one in the 3rd or 4th year.  But it's a PITA to setup all those wooden upright training spears, link them to a lever or some other device and then wait for a mechanic to wander over and hook it up.  Or sometimes in the 5th year, when I'm bored, I'll set one up and have it kill all the adopted pets.

I haven't bothered in my last 3 forts.  It's very effective though...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 12:43:22 pm »

No I don't use them because I just switch INVADERS:OFF in the init settings when I don't want goblins killing my fort. If I want a military-oriented fort, I build intricate trap layouts and 'fast-tech' to magma-smelted steel gear (if the map has the resources for steel) within the first year. But I kill my FPS fast enough without goblins bringing more strain on pathfinding both when alive and when dead (all that goblinite needs to be cleaned up) in my industry-oriented forts.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

ZCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 12:50:10 pm »

I use them, but only because normal assign-dwarves-to-a-barracks-and-wait training is almost completely useless.
Badger badgers badger badger badgers badgers badger.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 12:59:08 pm »

I suck at military crap and really hate to see my dwarves die, so danger rooms all the way.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 01:03:42 pm »

I use them, but only because normal assign-dwarves-to-a-barracks-and-wait training is almost completely useless.
Same. If regular training improved dwarves faster than one skill up a year I would probably just use that, but as it is regular training is sometimes so poor it doesn't even prevent combat skills from rusting. It's really bad when you see half your dwarves have rusting [Weapon] skill or Shield User after 5 years of regular training, yet it happens every time I try to go without a danger room.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 01:07:13 pm »

Same. If regular training improved dwarves faster than one skill up a year I would probably just use that, but as it is regular training is sometimes so poor it doesn't even prevent combat skills from rusting. It's really bad when you see half your dwarves have rusting [Weapon] skill or Shield User after 5 years of regular training, yet it happens every time I try to go without a danger room.
I find all these stories strange since it doesn't match my experience. I've always been able to make a military work fine without danger rooms and thus view getting legendary fighters in a season rather boring.
Memento Mori

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 01:18:38 pm »

I find all these stories strange since it doesn't match my experience. I've always been able to make a military work fine without danger rooms and thus view getting legendary fighters in a season rather boring.

See, I find all these stories strange since it doesn't match my experience. I've literally never seen a warrior train much further than dabbling in years of having them train without danger rooms. I eventually got tired of dying all the time, so I tried out danger rooms, and instantly I was hooked. A training regimen that works? Goody!

I think as in dangers rooms are clearly NOT bugged. It's the system working as intended, but being utilized not as intended (perhaps). I also think it would be a shame if the possibility was removed, because quite frankly, danger rooms are realistic in their gross details even if they may not be in specifics. Having a room filled with spears firing off at you and you need to dodge and block them is an entirely reasonable way to train people, and probably WOULD be more effective than "Weapon Drills". The precise amount it is more effective (i.e., thousands of times more) is the only issue.

I would like to see normal XP from training given a boost and XP from danger rooms (i.e., actual combat) take a hit. So that maybe you can train to Legendary in 2 years of normal training and 1 year of danger room training. That seems reasonable to me, since certainly you can train most other skills to Legendary in 2 years in my experience.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 01:26:58 pm »

I don't mean to question anybodies honesty when I say that, I merely never had that problem. Actually I am a bit curious as to why there seems to be such a disparity in how much good people get out of normal training.
Memento Mori

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 01:34:02 pm »

For god sake, don't you people have anything better to moralize about? It's a game.

Anyway, I find it pretty darn funny you in the same breath admit you have removed nerve damage. FYI, the combat/experience systems are supposed to simulate, within reason, reality. Nerve damage does not heal - you might as well mod the dwarves not die from decapitation. While it's true that dodging and blocking wooden spikes might not realistically be the best way to train either, at least it's not something that is completely impossible. So yeah, next time you turn something completely arbitrary into some kind of moral issue please make sure you don't come off as a huge hypocrite in the process too.

But no, haven't used them. Apparently the conventional training is still kind of a crapshoot, but I mostly rely on marksdwarves (who get plenty of experience from combat without ever risking their own hides).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:47:54 pm by Cotes »
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 01:45:22 pm »

No, as the current military rates of exp gain are so slow that I consider them to be a bug in and of themselves, regardless of whether they are officially. I also edit my raws to remove skill rust, and to slightly increase the rate of exp gain, because frankly, if I were interested in spending hours mindlessly levelgrinding, I'd be playing an MMO.

IMO, using danger rooms is about as much of an exploit as changing training minimum to two dwarves to increase the amount of sparring is.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 01:48:27 pm »

It's that training is not well understood that many people turn to danger rooms. I recall when Toady was first approached with how slow all the training seemed to be, he was apprehensive that training would be too fast if Student and Teacher skill effects were buffed but he did so anyway. To him, in his tests the training was progressing just fine. But most players have given up on finding out how to get it to work and have turned to alternatives.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 01:52:35 pm »

I just think training rates are too slow on their own. It takes an extremely long time to get a decent soldier.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 01:56:58 pm »

I don't use danger rooms, but i don't use training schedules either.
I use goblins and cave ceitters for practice. i mod all cave creatures to be in the first level as well as the deeper ones so I have easy acces to training dummies.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 01:58:17 pm »

I don't give a shit, I just don't use them. My dwarves spar for years and fight my captured foes until they are skilled enough to survive a siege directly. And before they're skilled enough, they STILL have to fight the enemies that make it through the traps.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11