Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Your Stance on Danger Rooms  (Read 8961 times)

rojiru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your Stance on Danger Rooms
« on: March 29, 2011, 11:09:46 am »

I'm against it - seems like a way to abuse the system, being an unintentional bug to gain skills meant to be gained through other means. It ranks right up there with editing experience gains.

On the other hand I remove nerve damage from the dwarf raws to avoid getting laid up in bed for eternity, which is what I assume to be a bug.

So, are danger rooms wrong? Do you avoid using them? Have you tried it once, like an experimenting college student? Did it leave a bad taste in your mouth, do you do it every chance you get?

If it's not wrong to you, how far do you go to abuse the system? Do you wall off your map's borders? Do you atom smash goblin sieges before they even get to your gates? Is it more fun to do that than actually devise a way to battle them with your dwarves and well placed traps? Do you abuse cage systems to capture things which are designed to be incapable of being caught? Where does it end with you, personally?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your Stance on Danger Rooms
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 11:13:53 am »

I don't use them. It is less a 'moral' thing than a fun thing. I've always been able to get a decent military and defense without spamming cage traps or using danger rooms, and doing so is more personally rewarding and interesting.
Memento Mori

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 11:19:29 am »

I don't like em, but I can't really blame anyone for using them.  Dwarfs just don't seem to gain military skills anymore.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 11:24:42 am »

I let their dodging skills grow naturally, and I haven't had a big problem with my military being decimated by invaders. Then again, I've yet to keep a fort long enough to experience a siege.

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 11:30:42 am »

I use danger rooms more often now what with the scarcity of metal armour and weapons now . Since im still kinda noob , I need all the help I can get. I draw the line at that though and will stop using the room when I get a squad above adept in whatever weaponskill. Death rates are still high enough to demand my masons to make coffins to fill up the mausoleum.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 11:36:24 am »

I don't use them, but instead I made a custom workshop where dwarves can practice their defensive skills, including dodge, block, and swimming. No offensive skills, only defensive skills.

I allow everyone in the fortress to use them, training up to high but not legendary levels of dodge and block, and adequate swimmers. Since everyone in the fortress can train this mean that while I do have a ready pool of recruits able to quickly fill gaps in the ranks, the cost is years of production grinding to a halt because almost the entire population is training.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 11:43:50 am »

I use them with no problem since i've ever read about them on the wiki. Yeah danger rooms are clearly an exploit, and unrealistic, but they're useful.

You can very well wall off your fortress, live on only underground cultures and cave creatures, and train your military much more slowly, but it's much longer and much more repetitive than using a danger room. Plus most of the cave creatures are boring, and the interesting ones only rarely happen !

Why would I be ashamed at using a quick and rather practical way to gain profit ?

OwlEpicurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 11:47:32 am »

I usually use danger rooms.  I'm paranoid about being attacked while unprepared, and I design all of my fortresses to prevent anything from getting in (even flying building destroyers).  There are other aspects of the game, such as megaprojects, that I would rather focus on.  I usually include some sort of mechanism to flood the danger room, so it also gives me an excuse to start a pointlessly large engineering project.

In the end, I see whether one uses a danger room or related system as a matter of your personal playing style and your goals for that fort. 

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 11:51:25 am »

I love them and see them as an awesome feature of the game. I try to make a parcour as complicated as possible and view it as a giant mechanical training machine.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 11:55:26 am »

I feel its completely in line with Normal Dwarf Behavior.

Lets walk down the ages and see what our dwarven ancestors have done.

Back in the days of patches gone by, a marksdwarf was that other name for for a rail gun.
Talking was done with your fists; socializing gave you superior stats.
Pumps were legitimate ways to up all your strength abilities.

War dwarves Owned. Seeing your Hammerdwarf walk out meant songs would be sung and sieges slaughtered.
They were not like today's dwarves.
Why?

Because todays dwarves are soft. Because they are spoilt. Because their pets live.
Because they have not been pushed to become what dwarves must be.

Danger rooms are Dwarf rooms.

Dwarven soldiers NEED a room, where each tile hides 10 training spears. They NEED to be stabbed repeatedly. They NEED to see their foolish pets DIE in front of their own eyes.

This needs to happen to them over and over again, till they realize that this will never stop.
Till they realize that they have to beat that room. Till they realize that pets are useless worldly attachments. Till they realize that they are the will of the fortress made flesh, Its mailed fist which can never waver, nor break.

Danger rooms, because dwarves need to be reminded, This Is Dwarf Fortress.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 11:55:31 am »

I never got to use them, but I'd do so. Also, blocking a lot of wooden spears or jumping away from them is training, right?
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 12:16:02 pm »

I'm against it - seems like a way to abuse the system, being an unintentional bug to gain skills meant to be gained through other means.

If a dwarf gets attacked he gains experience points for his fighting skills, depending on his reaction to the attack.
A trap deals a direct attack with all the weapons the trap is composed of.
Spear traps don't use pressure mechanisms, instead being controlled directly through a lever, attacking anything that is standing on the trap when the lever is activated.
Training spears deal blunt damage but are very light, making it nearly impossible to hurt anything with them.

Where exactly is the bug?

If I use them? Depends on how I am challenging myself for that specific fortress.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 12:17:00 pm »

I don't think they are wrong per se, I just don't like them. Recently my bruised dwarves have been spending time resting in the hospital after getting hit by a training spear, and quite frankly, fuck that.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 12:20:58 pm »

I never use danger rooms.
My army is training just fine, given enought time.

Using danger rooms is alike SPEED:0 and other cheats.
If you are godlike then the game is not fun.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 12:30:46 pm »

What about having the (training) spear traps and pressure plates in the training area itself? Not quite as exploit-ish, and in fact you could argue it's a way of making training more realistic for your dwarves; pity we don't have a specific "situational awareness" skill yet, really.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11