Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why won't my dwarfs pick up captured equipment?  (Read 1529 times)

CarbonNitride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why won't my dwarfs pick up captured equipment?
« on: March 29, 2011, 03:33:20 am »

I've just beat back a goblin siege, and have captured and claimed their armour. It's all sitting inside my armour stockpile now. In my uniform I have cloaks 2 mail shirts and a breastplate. My dwarfs put on the captured cloaks just fine, but the breastplates I captured just sit in the armour stockpile without being picked up. Any ideas why?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why won't my dwarfs pick up captured equipment?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 03:37:21 am »

You'd better not assign mail shirts to be worn together with a breastplate. AFAIK, this is likely to cause an infinite loop of equipping/taking off breastplate because dwarve tend to put them on in wrong order.

Also you problem may be because of your captured breastplates being too large - goblins do not wear breastplates, and those taken from humans won't fit your dwarves.

CarbonNitride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 03:42:26 am »

Well, I haven't made or bought any so they must have come from the goblins and it just says "<iron breastplate>" while sitting in my stockpile.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 03:48:40 am »

Well, I haven't made or bought any so they must have come from the goblins and it just says "<iron breastplate>" while sitting in my stockpile.
That's strange for me, i.ve never seen a goblin in a breastplate.
If you are certain about them being of the right size, try ordering your military to equip breastplates only as their body armour.
If they would then equip breastplates ok, then the problem must have been in the loop i mentioned or just in assigning too much armour.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 05:27:53 am »

My goblins have both copper and iron breastplates, and I've had to take measures to stop my dwarves wearing them.  Providing them with steel versions works, although one of them has 'grown attached' to a copper shield, which I'm not happy with...

They aren't forbidden or claimed by someone else, are they?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 06:52:55 am »

Can you even wear 2 mail shirts at once ?

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 06:55:28 am »

Yeah.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 07:08:14 am »

You'd better not assign mail shirts to be worn together with a breastplate. AFAIK, this is likely to cause an infinite loop of equipping/taking off breastplate because dwarve tend to put them on in wrong order.

Also you problem may be because of your captured breastplates being too large - goblins do not wear breastplates, and those taken from humans won't fit your dwarves.
Um, sorry this is wrong.

Dwarves can wear a breastplate and mail shirt (up to 3 apparently!) at the same time without any issues.  Goblins do wear breastplates - most of my military are using ex-goblin breastplates and goblins wear dwarf sized gear.

I think if you set their military equipment to (r)eplace their clothes in the equipment screen they will remove all their clothes and only wear what is assigned as their military uniform.  It could be they already have too many shirts and robes on to wear a mail shirt and breastplate, there's a limit on the amount of stuff they can wear in a slot - the wiki page on armour explains it.

dagger

• Bay Watcher
  • Sniffin' glue
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 09:13:58 am »

I use this and never have a problem. Also, a few areas might not be protected, but it works pretty dang well.

Steel Cap
Steel or Candy Helm
Leather Cloak
Steel Mailshirt
Steel or Candy Breastplate
Steel or Candy Gauntlets
Steel or Candy High Boots
Steel or Candy Greaves
Steel Shield

I don't bother about having them wear anything else, but you can add even more.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 10:09:25 am »

That setup is great as it is. The only thing you could add is a few more cloaks. Gauntlets cover the arms up to elbow, mail shirt covers them down to elbow, together with the cloak, so you're covered. Greaves, high boots, and even the mail shirt do a good job at covering the legs, too.

I don't think you've left any unprotected area.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

dagger

• Bay Watcher
  • Sniffin' glue
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 10:28:45 am »

I thought I read that only a hood can protect the face/eyes but I may be wrong on that.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 11:53:16 am »

I'm pretty sure cloaks are absurdly good at coverage, protecting everything from toes to the head. I think I've seen a cloak deflect a blow to the teeth...

Either way, they aren't very reliable, not being made of metal, but definitely make great supporting wear. And you can stack like six of them on top of the mail shirt and breastplate combo!
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 11:55:32 am »

I thought I read that only a hood can protect the face/eyes but I may be wrong on that.

Masks.

Also gives an epic samurai feel to gobbos. If only they dual-wielded long swords and short swords...

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 12:34:49 pm »

I go with:

metal mail shirt
metal breastplate
plant-cloth cloak
silk cloak
leather cloak
metal helm
any hood
any mittens
metal gauntlets
high boots
any trousers
metal greaves
metal shield
weapon

Early on, they tend to be lacking the metal pieces though...

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 01:01:05 pm »

Easy. Just replace the metal bits with Cat Leather until you've got metal. Or coat them in Magma. (Since I'm required to suggest it. ;))
Pages: [1] 2