Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What do you do with your extra dwarves?  (Read 4219 times)

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with your extra dwarves?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2011, 01:24:51 am »

Also, is there a way to equip civilians without drafting them? My hunters and fishers should be wearing "hazard gear" since they're often out in dangerous areas. I don't really want to give them a bad thought from being drafted, just so they won't get gored to death when they're out casting a line into the water.
You will have to draft them, but its actually a pretty easy method.  Make a new uniform, call it "Hazard Gear", and assign the items you want your outdoorsdwarves to equip (with no weapons, unless you want to).  Next set it so the uniform is worm while off duty (I forget the exact wording). Then draft your guys into squads with that uniform assigned (i'd make the captains one of them, by the way).  Then leave those squads on permanent inactive, unless you need to throw them at something in an emergency.  They will still upgrade gear as it becomes available,  but should in all other ways act as normal.
I'm confused about the bolded part. Do dwarves actually trade up on gear? One of my dwarves refused to change his under-armor clothing to a better quality cloth, despite there being a wealth of it everywhere. Is this because they still refuse to take off armor to put on a different shirt?

The whole "I'm not going to wear chainmail because I already put on my plate" issue was a source of contention for me forever.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2011, 01:39:00 am »

My understanding is they will upgrade uniform items, but not personal items.  I've watched my soldiers upgrade from iron to steel weapons and shields, for example.  From what others have posted, however, dwarves still insist on wearing the clothes they arrived in until such time as they literally rot away from age, wear and tear.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 09:13:43 am »

Pop Cap: 80. Child cap: 20. All excess dwarves are drafted upon immigration, placed in a segregated outpost to prevent friendships, and are used as cannon fodder at the next attack.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 09:56:06 am »

Enlist all the males, give them uniforms of nothing but a robe, and send them on a suicide mission to hell.

Having nothing but females, train them to legendary speardwarves.
Mod in helmets with wings on them.
Make lots of mead.
Play Wagner very very loud.

This is a good post and you should feel good.

I've begun organizing my dwarves by useful skills and giving them new profession titles. That way, I have a general idea who should be working on what, and who has no immediately useful skills and should be cannon fodder. :D
This interface (among a few others), is pretty much the exact opposite of intuitive and streamlined. There really needs to be a way to look through a list of dwarfs on the left, with a list of their skills/inventory/etc on the right. There's plenty of room on the screen to do it, manually selecting every champ to cycle through the aforementioned is insanely time-consuming, not to mention counter-productive.

While we're at it, a more informative military screen would be nice as well. Maybe even merge the two screens somehow. I'd like to be able to see the 15+ fisherdwarves on my military screen when I'm drafting all the redundantly-skilled champs. No one needs 12 bone doctors. Not with a 200 pop cap.

Also, is there a way to equip civilians without drafting them? My hunters and fishers should be wearing "hazard gear" since they're often out in dangerous areas. I don't really want to give them a bad thought from being drafted, just so they won't get gored to death when they're out casting a line into the water.

Yeah. I would like to see a search option on the nits screen, and generally an easier way to assign professions without having to view each dwarf individually.

It doesnt help that I regularly see migrants with skills and professions that arent even enabled in their labour screen. For example, ill get a migrant with Weaponsmith profession, a high weaponsmith skill, but these skills arent enabled so all he does is haul until I realise and change it.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2011, 11:51:22 am »

Yeah. I would like to see a search option on the Units screen, and generally an easier way to assign professions without having to view each dwarf individually.

It doesn't help that I regularly see migrants with skills and professions that aren't even enabled in their labour screen. For example, ill get a migrant with Weaponsmith profession, a high weaponsmith skill, but these skills aren't enabled so all he does is haul until I realise and change it.
As of .18 migrants usually only had their highest two or three skills activated when they arrived, apart from the odd all-rounder craftsdwarf who has Adequate in everything. This makes a certain amount of sense for professions where quality is critical, or when you already have enough people doing one of the jobs they're less handy at, but reviewing each dwarf's CV manually using the loo(k) menu as they arrive is definitely a bit of a pain.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2011, 12:11:23 pm »

all my extra dwarves have Masonry & Stone detailing activated. They all go for a megaproject.

Or, alteratively, i engrave *insert triumphant pose here* THE WHOLE F*****G MAP!!!!!!!!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2011, 12:11:47 pm »

Yeah. I would like to see a search option on the Units screen, and generally an easier way to assign professions without having to view each dwarf individually.

It doesn't help that I regularly see migrants with skills and professions that aren't even enabled in their labour screen. For example, ill get a migrant with Weaponsmith profession, a high weaponsmith skill, but these skills aren't enabled so all he does is haul until I realise and change it.
As of .18 migrants usually only had their highest two or three skills activated when they arrived, apart from the odd all-rounder craftsdwarf who has Adequate in everything. This makes a certain amount of sense for professions where quality is critical, or when you already have enough people doing one of the jobs they're less handy at, but reviewing each dwarf's CV manually using the loo(k) menu as they arrive is definitely a bit of a pain.
Also, sometimes they'll have a skillset that doesn't match their profession, such as my high master armorer who I didn't realize actually had all the hunting/related jobs activated because he was expert at all of them.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2011, 09:57:26 pm »

I kill them all off.

If I'm on my gaming computer, I just go Runesmith - (Dwarf) - Breathing (Problem) and let them die.

Runesmith won't work on my laptop although...sigh.

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2011, 09:26:28 pm »

Create a massive military force, design a battlefield full of archery towers and ballista batteries, and see how many demons/FBs you can kill.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2011, 04:21:06 am »

all my extra dwarves have Masonry & Stone detailing activated. They all go for a megaproject.

Or, alteratively, i engrave *insert triumphant pose here* THE WHOLE F*****G MAP!!!!!!!!

Oh hells yes to this. The art section in Legends would be insane.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2011, 04:31:03 am »

Maybe i'm doing something weird, but i just let them do what they can best, or something they feel attuned for (like turning a master potash makes who likes iron to a blacksmith). If there's not enough work for twenty cheese makers, well, they go have a nice time in the dining room. I usually only draft dwarves with overwhelming physical attributes and later in the game only those of them who has a preferred weapon.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2011, 04:32:54 am »

Engraved on the wall is a superiorly designed image of Iados the overseer and dwarves by Urist McEngraver. Iados is striking a triumphant pose. The dwarves are weeping. The artwork relates to the engraving of the entire map in Dwarffortress in 276.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2011, 04:49:23 am »

In my current fort I had like 0-2 idlers for over a year. Production chains are choked. I even stopped dumping stone. Now I miss having some idlers, they could quickly do any hauling, that needed doing. I think, I'll have to rise my pop cap above 50, and make more bins.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2011, 04:57:06 am »

In my most recent fort, for a long time I had a bunch of casualties until I got my walls and traps set up. Never built so many coffins before. Nevertheless by the time I was secure I realize the goblins were doing me a favor, like how wolves cull grazer herds of weak animals, only they were saving my FPS. Everything seemed to work as well with 60 dwarves as with 160, so I am strongly considering just throwing 30 something dwarves straight at the next siege. The idea of culling for Armok sounds good too, though. Just fill a room with upright copper spears and whoever survives 3 pulls of the lever gets to live in Cloistersummit for another year. Now that would be a Danger Room.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2011, 05:35:31 am »

*Start Announcement*All peasants will be automatically enrolled in weapons training camp . Please acquire any weapons in the room to the right , and proceed to the bottom level of the pit fall trap . All survivors will be given a room and armor . Good day and good hunting. *End announcement*

This usually happens before a fortress defence siege, and the fort pop will be kept very very low due to half dead master spearmen killing every thing (^_^).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4