Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 348857 times)

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #1590 on: January 12, 2012, 02:48:30 am »

Evil One Cancels download Mod: Too disturbed by concept.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: January 12, 2012, 11:43:42 am »

For these "mundane" draconequuses, I ended up giving them a poison attack that mimics magic.  That's generally how this sort of thing is handled in mods right now, right?  It's an injected poison called "discordant magic", so it doesn't leave puddles or other strangeness, but it does have interesting combat logs to the effect of "Discordant magic is injected by the Draconequus 1 into your The Discordant Pony Blood", but I can live with that.

To be fair, puddles of chaos (if it gets in water) would be a freaky way to ruin a biome. :D

Edit: Had another thought, it should be possible to have "magic" fields surrounding a creature that act as armor, yes?  Since draconequuses don't wear anything I don't think it would be a big deal.  I'd just have to make a new tissue for it (that didn't bleed and healed quickly), and add it as a new layer or something, right?  Would be pretty funny if you beat up a draconequus to the point of death, then killed him by denting the magic field though.

Yep. The mind flayers from  Genesis have a magical shield for the Elder Brains. They are not vital, to boot, so you might wish to use that as a guidline.

3. I'm betting it's possible to do this, but I haven't quite figured out how to give them multiple poisons.  Instead I just attached those three syndromes to an injecting attack on a punch or a scratch, with a 33% chance to fire for each on a strike.  It seems to work, but I think having them as separate poisons would be better.

Yes, yes it is. Try messing around with the body parts to attach individual ones too, say, ones bird-like right arm. should do the trick. Could have each arm do a differnt one, and the head/horns have another.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ult1mara's Let's Plays and reviews
« Reply #1592 on: January 12, 2012, 11:54:12 am »

If anyone wants Screenshots for each of my Ponies in my fortress they can be found below

The local scottish drunken dwarf
Dwarf Fortress Mod Reviews
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84405.0

Zarhon

• Bay Watcher
  • Bizzarehitect
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: January 12, 2012, 02:17:51 pm »

Spoiler: Zarhorn (click to show/hide)

Yay! I'm a Gorlak pony apparently.  8)

Knarfle, can you do a pic of her? I can't visualise tusks.  :o
Cupcakes: Because not everything is viable for home decor.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: January 12, 2012, 05:13:49 pm »

Here's what I've got for the graphics, so far.
Adds graphics for regular ponies and Rainbow ponies. (Also includes a tileset)
Download: DFFD Link | MediaFire link

Here's a screenshot:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All the graphics:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Let me know if there's any issues.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 05:26:00 pm by Jack_Bread »

Zarhon

• Bay Watcher
  • Bizzarehitect
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: January 13, 2012, 07:00:53 am »

Are the pony graphics compatible with other graphics? Like combining Mayday for the terrain, font and objects, and pony for just the ponies?

Regarding the Draconequus:

- If they have grasping brains, does that allow them to essentially Darth Vader choke their enemies, or pull them off the ground telekinetically, like Discord did? Would that kind of combat be limited to being right next to them or can it's range be increased?

- They could be given a "Chaos gland" instead of a brain, as a non-vital source of most of their powers.

- You should give them a buttload of various breath attacks with minor/major effects, with equal chances of using each (but relatively rare usage of them in actual combat).
Cupcakes: Because not everything is viable for home decor.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: January 13, 2012, 08:37:44 am »

As for the brain, I would assume so.  I'm surprised you can grasp with something embedded in your skull, and I haven't tried it out yet, but Putnam knows what he's talking about based on what I've seen.  I wish there was a way to increase the range, but my experimentation in the arena with two grasping horns like a unicorn's seemed to indicate it's plenty useful at only melee range.

The chaos gland sounds like another good idea, using a similar system.  I thought about giving them two magical graspers that way, which would make them a little more dangerous than unicorns in melee.  Two chaos glands of sorts and a regular brain maybe.

I had planned on doing almost exactly that for the breath attacks.  Based on reading the wiki, I suspect giving them actual breath attacks might cause oddities in combat, such as almost exclusively using the breath attack.  But, I wanted them to have a wide range of magical afflictions, possibly coming from various types of draconequuses.  One variety that does things like stun, paralyze or put to sleep.  Another that sets fires.  Another that causes localized tissue damage of some sort.  Things like that.

Then I figured a true Discord scale draconequus might make a decent megabeast.  More powerful magical attacks, more graspers, bigger, a magical shield, things like that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: January 13, 2012, 01:09:23 pm »

Are the pony graphics compatible with other graphics? Like combining Mayday for the terrain, font and objects, and pony for just the ponies?
Though I haven't test, it should. Just don't add the art folder, just the graphics.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: January 13, 2012, 03:36:12 pm »

I had planned on doing almost exactly that for the breath attacks.  Based on reading the wiki, I suspect giving them actual breath attacks might cause oddities in combat, such as almost exclusively using the breath attack.  But, I wanted them to have a wide range of magical afflictions, possibly coming from various types of draconequuses.  One variety that does things like stun, paralyze or put to sleep.  Another that sets fires.  Another that causes localized tissue damage of some sort.  Things like that.

No matter what you do, there must be a way for it to create "Chocolet Water" that causes nausia and stunning. Because, you know, chocolet waterfalls.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: January 13, 2012, 05:02:27 pm »

Or systemic necrosis!  :D

I really need to play around with the syndromes some more, there's much fun to be had here.  I was thinking maybe I should give the draconequuses gaseous attacks that were inhaled.  That would sort of give more of an impression of a magical blast, but it might be too powerful for mundane draconequuses.  That and I don't think I could do localized tissue damage / necrosis from a syndrome that way (or all the ponies would suffer from invariably fatal lung rot, but that's Fun too).

I'm also tinkering with the diomedians to make them Discordant ponies (basically just a rename, but also changing them back to unicorns and pegasi, for no real reason).  One of the changes I'd planned though was to incorporate draconequuses into their sieges, kind of like trolls with goblins.

Gives them a slightly different flavor from the diomedians.  I suspect it was Nidokoenig's intention to not make them discord-twisted ponies, but I'm thinking I'll be using that idea for the story of my next fort (although Dawnpick is probably far from crumbling to its end).

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: January 13, 2012, 05:44:01 pm »

I really need to play around with the syndromes some more, there's much fun to be had here.  I was thinking maybe I should give the draconequuses gaseous attacks that were inhaled.  That would sort of give more of an impression of a magical blast, but it might be too powerful for mundane draconequuses.

A minor stunning one would be fine for the lesser ones, but save the good old fashend godly forcefield and lung-stopping syndroms for the megabeast kind. After all, a draconequuses is all but a overcomplicated forgotton beast.

I'm also tinkering with the diomedians to make them Discordant ponies (basically just a rename, but also changing them back to unicorns and pegasi, for no real reason).  One of the changes I'd planned though was to incorporate draconequuses into their sieges, kind of like trolls with goblins.

Oh, the prefstrings...

EDIT: Oh, and some input if your making three "basic" kinds of these critters:

"Physical": Affects the apponents body. Bleeding, nausia, the works. Debilitating, crual, and can dominate everything in melee. As long as its apponent has no real armor, that is.

"Non-physical": Fire and wind and other nasty things. The enviremental controler, if you will. May give off stuff that is alternitvly increadably hot (such as, say, dragonfire) or something that causes frostbite.A lesser form of Chocolet Rain goes in this guy, along with anything else bizzare you could think off.

"Mental": Mind games and such. Stunning and pain and the like. Probably gives this off as a gas attack.

Wonder if the actual megabeast could have a"shield" with a extra gassy body part overlayed into it (al la magma men skin) so that every time someone trys to attack it it gets "Discorded" with all the nasty stuff that that implies?

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 05:56:08 pm by Pokon »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: January 13, 2012, 06:47:51 pm »

That actually sounds pretty close to the divisions I was planning.  The elemental caste is the one I'm not so sure about, but it's hard to go wrong with fireballs and frostbite.

I'm trying to decide now if they can fly like Discord.  Or how big they should be compared to the ponies.  I'll probably keep them about the same size and not give them flight.

Balancing them is going to be tricky.  I had no intention of making them a controllable civilization, so it really only matters how hard they are to deal with.  They seem to kill each other fairly slowly in the arena so far, so I imagine a pony with a steel axe would make short work of them.

Hmm... I need to tinker with the shield idea, especially for the greater draconequuses.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: January 13, 2012, 07:23:49 pm »

That actually sounds pretty close to the divisions I was planning.  The elemental caste is the one I'm not so sure about, but it's hard to go wrong with fireballs and frostbite.

I'm trying to decide now if they can fly like Discord.  Or how big they should be compared to the ponies.  I'll probably keep them about the same size and not give them flight.

Balancing them is going to be tricky.  I had no intention of making them a controllable civilization, so it really only matters how hard they are to deal with.  They seem to kill each other fairly slowly in the arena so far, so I imagine a pony with a steel axe would make short work of them.

Hmm... I need to tinker with the shield idea, especially for the greater draconequuses.

On elemental ones: yeah, you cant go wrong with that. :P

Also, it could be that having so many special abilities is causeing them to refrain from using those talons they have. Do they have the ability to hold weapons and such? Heck, do they have armor-wearing capiabilitys?

Also, yeah, the shield actualy makes complete sence. I mean, look at him. He looks positivly flimsy.The only way he could support so many conflicting body shapes and actualy, say, have complete freedom to walk around a a non-hobble is by some sort of magic. Considering that he rarly touches the ground, along with no one even trying to even attack him head-on supports some sort of magical aura in place. /endmusings

Akivara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: January 13, 2012, 09:12:01 pm »

When I set savagery to high, I can't seem to find any pony settlements at the world map.  Diomedian ponies, and some rainbow ponies, but no regular ponies.

Also, what are the settlements with no prefix (not "Buffalo Forest Retreat", "Human Fortress", "Rainbow Pony Hamlet", etc; just "Forest Retreat", "Hamlet")?  Are those the regular ponies?  If so.... derp.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: January 14, 2012, 12:47:03 pm »

Okay, before anyone asks, no, we do not need super-strong baby ponies. Please. :P
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 140