Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 348918 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #1440 on: December 12, 2011, 12:13:49 am »

one way to find out‼
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
to be precise...
Spoiler: PONY FORTRESS SCIENCE (click to show/hide)

Speaking of which, think we should alter the Pegasus ponies combat charge a bit, considering they used it to shave the scales off a fully-grown dragon without any actual weapons?

Twilight Sparkle: Reanimator.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ult1mara's Let's Plays and reviews
« Reply #1441 on: December 13, 2011, 06:45:14 am »

Episode 9 of my LP of this mod is up now ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0u-zSRVNX8
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 06:47:29 am by Ult1mara »
The local scottish drunken dwarf
Dwarf Fortress Mod Reviews
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84405.0

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: December 13, 2011, 11:40:52 am »

one way to find out‼
to be precise...
Spoiler: PONY FORTRESS SCIENCE (click to show/hide)

Speaking of which, think we should alter the Pegasus ponies combat charge a bit, considering they used it to shave the scales off a fully-grown dragon without any actual weapons?

Twilight Sparkle: Reanimator.

Zarhon

• Bay Watcher
  • Bizzarehitect
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: December 14, 2011, 12:40:37 pm »

New episode spoiler pics appeared. We might have to hold the mod updating until we get the new episode canon for reference...  :P

Spoiler pic

« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 12:50:35 pm by Zarhon »
Cupcakes: Because not everything is viable for home decor.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: December 14, 2011, 02:42:13 pm »

Baby-snatchers and take over of towns, where they integrate the surviving population. 
Still, in Fortress mode, you'd only get what you get from the main race, even if the main race was totally overtaken by the new population.

I guess the answer is no.

What you can do is change the population ratios, earth pony kingdom would have... 95 out of 100 chance of making earth ponies... and 1% for royal/2% for pegasi/2% for unicorn...  and so on.  As an example anyways...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: December 15, 2011, 01:35:14 am »

Well, it'd be fairly trivial to have most an earth pony civ, pegasus pony civ, and so on for a "divided Equestria" module, but no, I don't think mixing is going to be viable. There really is no way to change creatures on the fly like that, unless, for example, earth ponies have three identical castes per gender and somebody writes a program to rewrite the save raws and add pegasi and unicorns on the fly. That'd require either shutting down the game and making the changes, or the use of some kind of "Dwarf Fortress Script Extender" similar to the Elder Scrolls games. Merging civs just plain wouldn't work unless you have a whole bunch of entity definitions limited to spawning one civ and each having their own unique creature(copypasted with a new ID), and change the creature definition when they conquer another civ to represent the new balance, though it'd probably make more sense to wait for multi-racial forts in the main game. If somebody thinks there's demand for those sorts of add-ons and wants to write them, as always, you're welcome to go ahead and upload it, but considering the complexity already confuses some people, asking them to fiddle around in the save raws isn't something I'll implement in vanilla Pony Fortress. Calling a base mod "vanilla" feels weird.

Oh, and about gem ageing, I'd assume the way to do it would be to have some kind of reaction that takes a base gem and creates an aged version(maybe a few aged versions, to represent levels of ageing), but that leads into the problems of multiplying the numbers of gems available for nobles to demand. Maybe we could have a donation drive asking Toady for a [GEMCARN] tag. The whole "Dragons grow with wealth" thing is utterly out of our reach, though if the base game tracked a dragon's hoard, a script extender could, presumably, change the dragon's body size to match, but I can't actually program or have any great knowledge of the actual guts of Dwarf Fortress, so I'm just guessing.

Sorry I've gone a bit quiet, Terraria's new update has been keeping me busy.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: December 15, 2011, 01:48:57 am »

Well, it'd be fairly trivial to have most an earth pony civ, pegasus pony civ, and so on for a "divided Equestria" module, but no, I don't think mixing is going to be viable. There really is no way to change creatures on the fly like that, unless, for example, earth ponies have three identical castes per gender and somebody writes a program to rewrite the save raws and add pegasi and unicorns on the fly. That'd require either shutting down the game and making the changes, or the use of some kind of "Dwarf Fortress Script Extender" similar to the Elder Scrolls games. Merging civs just plain wouldn't work unless you have a whole bunch of entity definitions limited to spawning one civ and each having their own unique creature(copypasted with a new ID), and change the creature definition when they conquer another civ to represent the new balance, though it'd probably make more sense to wait for multi-racial forts in the main game. If somebody thinks there's demand for those sorts of add-ons and wants to write them, as always, you're welcome to go ahead and upload it, but considering the complexity already confuses some people, asking them to fiddle around in the save raws isn't something I'll implement in vanilla Pony Fortress. Calling a base mod "vanilla" feels weird.

Oh, and about gem ageing, I'd assume the way to do it would be to have some kind of reaction that takes a base gem and creates an aged version(maybe a few aged versions, to represent levels of ageing), but that leads into the problems of multiplying the numbers of gems available for nobles to demand. Maybe we could have a donation drive asking Toady for a [GEMCARN] tag. The whole "Dragons grow with wealth" thing is utterly out of our reach, though if the base game tracked a dragon's hoard, a script extender could, presumably, change the dragon's body size to match, but I can't actually program or have any great knowledge of the actual guts of Dwarf Fortress, so I'm just guessing.

Sorry I've gone a bit quiet, Terraria's new update has been keeping me busy.
Hmmmm....

Perhaps a dragon exclusive reaction to turn gems into "meat"? Then you could have the "aged" gems give an increased size curse. You could also make any other creature that consumes it suffocate or just make it only affect dragons  :P

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: December 15, 2011, 03:51:25 am »

I think the idea should be more creating a sort of "gem forage" specifically for tame dragons. Pity we can make food lists for creatures. Maybe the curses system will have tags that makes the syndrome obvious, so that ponies won't eat gems, but dragons will just by changing the poison class.

Zarhon

• Bay Watcher
  • Bizzarehitect
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: December 16, 2011, 02:04:19 pm »

What about splitting dragons into two seperate creatures, one as a "pet dragon", the other as a "megabeast/feral dragon"?

The pet version can be taken on embark as expensive pets, or come with randomly with unicorn migrants (since they use magic to hatch them. earth ponies/pegasi could have them as well though, but would be very rarely).

They would start as "newly hatched dragon"(Spike, right after hatching), and eventually grow up into "baby dragon" (Spike as he is now)". They wouldn't be able to breed since they are "too young" (or they could, but very rarely/slowly/in some other wierd fashion?), but would be trainable (A very durable, short, sentient war pet that can proficiently use specially-crafted "baby-dragon" armor & weapons fit for their size, plus a very mild breath attack).

They could prefer to feed via gems grown on plants (grown on rock farms that use gems as seeds?), but be capable of eating/drinking anything (even poison extracts) in an emergency (this would cause fighting with other pets though due to frustration).

End result: Pet dragons as a rare/expensive high-demand pet, with excellent combat potential

The other version would be the current megabeast version of a dragon, essentially either a dragon that outlived/forgot it's pony masters (500 years old-ish), a dragon that survived an abandoned fort (with no ponies to stop them, they started collecting all the items scattered everywhere and turned feral), or a dragon that grew up in the wild without pony interference. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 02:14:48 pm by Zarhon »

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: December 17, 2011, 05:09:01 am »

Baby dragon armour is a no-go, civs only build armour that fits the entity's creature.

The rock farms idea is interesting. What I'd have done is just make a reaction change gems into plants, but making them into seeds that have to be planted would be interesting. The main problem is that we don't have tags to make creatures picky about their food beyond carnivore and bonecarn, which leads to the problem of other creatures eating them. Hmm, unless... If dragons had bonecarn, I could add the bone tag to gem food and that would stop other domestic critters from eating them.
 Once the new DF release is up, adding a poison class for tame dragons would allow us to turn them into large "weredragons" with a temporary syndrome, probably one attached mainly to diamonds, rubies and such. That would also handle the poison problem, though I don't think there's any way for any creatures to notice that food is poisonous to them, anyway.

Like the idea of feral dragons, but there's no way to really implement it. I suppose if a mancer of some kind in the new update obtained, say, secrets relating to gems, they could turn ponies to gem golems, or transform tame dragons into raging megabeasts, but whether that would actually produce new megabeasts if they came across a settlement with tame dragons would need to be tested.

Zarhon

• Bay Watcher
  • Bizzarehitect
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: December 17, 2011, 06:26:43 am »

Like the idea of feral dragons, but there's no way to really implement it. I suppose if a mancer of some kind in the new update obtained, say, secrets relating to gems, they could turn ponies to gem golems, or transform tame dragons into raging megabeasts, but whether that would actually produce new megabeasts if they came across a settlement with tame dragons would need to be tested.

Simple way of having the feral / pet dragons differentiation for now would be to just make them two seperate creatures/creature entities with similar names (since realistically they would take like hundreds/thousands of years to grow up into ferals and no fort lasts that long anyway. Just make it plausible for both to survive the worldgen process). I imagine the breeding/exctinction aspects of "baby dragons" would cause some troubles in worldgen (not to mention the unfortunate implications).

As for the armor for pets, would it be possible to have traders sell the armor (either directly due to them using it for their own size, or re-selling from an alternate source), or invading civs with dragon-sized armor, that the fort can then slaughter and repurpose (e.g. the baby dragons could use armor from the Diamond Dogs, or similar-sized armored cavern creatures)?

EDIT: Windygos! Looks like a new freezing biome monster. Flying, icy/snowy body, deadly dust paralyzing attack?

« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 03:48:25 pm by Zarhon »

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: December 17, 2011, 01:07:35 pm »

HA! Amazing, the cannon pre-equestria civilizations are in almost perfect sinc with my own pony fortress civilizations.

This is way beyond awesome, this is a dream come true! I can't believe my luck.

What can I say but fucking called it! Individual civilizations for the pony races and extra civilizations from combinations there of, that's the way to go.
Working on the "Dwarf Fortress Mod Creation Kit"
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102881.0

GO BUY STARFARER NOW!!!! It's crazy awesome!
http://fractalsoftworks.com/

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: December 17, 2011, 10:15:40 pm »

Yeah, between the Eels and the Windergasts (Windygos? I must have heard wrong), we have a bunch of new monster fodder. The Windygoes sound like epic evil biome creatures. Can night creatures be limited to a individual biome>
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: December 17, 2011, 10:57:56 pm »

Windigoes, a parody of wendigoes.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: December 17, 2011, 11:01:32 pm »

Also, you know what wendigoes are associated with? Winter, cold, famine.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 140