Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 348562 times)

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #1005 on: November 07, 2011, 05:57:00 pm »

We could give bunnies the tags that let them claim ponies as their owners (and remove them from the cats, since a bunnysplosion seems more fitting for the setting). I'm thinking on whether making them war-trainable would be overkill though (would have to remove it from the regular dogs, since they don't seem vicious at all).

Oh, come on, no war bunnies? :(
I mean realy, if you can kill a human with three large rats, we can have war bunnies!

Heck, we should do that with parasprites for a realistic parasprite invasion.  To counter the parasprites the egg-laying birds & bunnies could be modded to be parasprite-hating vermin killing machines (kinda like the "tasted blood" mechanic works with taming creatures currently). With any luck this would eventually lead to that one crazy pony with 50 parasprite pets tantruming over her "pets" being eaten/slaughtered by the birds/bunnies, in which case the problem literally solves itself.   

Pony with 50+ parasprites

" Why dont you love my wonderful friends!"

"Er, mame, they are eating all the food and the fillys fear the buzzing of your approch."

It was only a suggestion dude. Since I am doing an LP of this and the Review for it I wanted to know a few things and thought maybe suggestions will be well received? And I havent Watched MLP at all. So I do NOT know what plants, pets etc are actually in MLP. But if suggestions are gonna be negatively received then I wont make one again.

Ah. Well, in that case, I would love to respond to anything you have to say, soo...

1. Ponies dont have there own language yet. This is rather easy to get around with, however: One could handwave everything dwarvish as cave ponyish. As for things like dwarven wine, a quick name-change can render it as goatish or ponyish wine/beer/cheese/ect.

2. There are few named plants in Friendship is magic, besides the poison joke, which could be made into a syndrome-inducing plant later. There are several plants already within the mod, mostly worms and others. As a whole, all one would need to do is to make a few name corrections.  For more "normal" plants, there is sure to be a few plant modes around here.

3.Animals are subject to change, if Nidoking decides to work his magic on the standered animals to make them do stuff. There are problems with that, however, because it will be like on giant version of the old Tigerman incidents. To sum it up, if we give them the ability to grasp things, everything will show up in clothes and act strangly.

4. Anything using this mode is going to well recived, trust me.  :D Sorry if I sounded aggressive in my last post.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 06:01:48 pm by Pokon »
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ult1mara's Let's Plays and reviews
« Reply #1006 on: November 07, 2011, 06:04:36 pm »

Thank you Pokon. That was a lot better ^_^ and apology accepted lol :P. I never keep a grudge .... unless u are a stinking sylvan elf hahahhahaha.

Another thing I wonder, howcome you have civilizations for each type of "pony" and not a caste system? that way you would be able to get Ponies, Rainbow Ponies and Cave Ponies on the same embark .... or is this not allowed?

And yet another thing lol. Have you lot ever asked Phoebus or Ironhand to make a texture pack for Ponies and Zebras etc? as when I play the game my "ponies" come out with a "z" or "p" instead or an actual tileset
The local scottish drunken dwarf
Dwarf Fortress Mod Reviews
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84405.0

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: November 07, 2011, 06:14:14 pm »

Another thing I wonder, howcome you have civilizations for each type of "pony" and not a caste system? that way you would be able to get Ponies, Rainbow Ponies and Cave Ponies on the same embark .... or is this not allowed?

We actualy do. The rainbow ponies have all the castes of the other three pony civs into one mixed caste bundle. Most races in this mod have 4 caste: three with generaly standered abilitys, and a single rare "royal" caste that effectivly mirrors the two god-like princessess within the show.

And yet another thing lol. Have you lot ever asked Phoebus or Ironhand to make a texture pack for Ponies and Zebras etc? as when I play the game my "ponies" come out with a "z" or "p" instead or an actual tileset

From my experance, no we have not. Also, z is for zebra. :D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 06:19:30 pm by Pokon »
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: November 07, 2011, 06:24:03 pm »

The trees as pets thing is a damn dirty hack so that we can have fruit-bearing trees. Actual, proper trees in DF can't be made to grow fruit, so we end up with wooden sheep and blackbox reactions. I suppose making a special material for them that could be converted into a log and some fruit would work, but it's still a hack, and you have to cut down the tree to get the fruit.

Making rabbits and parasprites adopt is my kind of evil. Based on some of the toys, it might be an idea to size up/include owls, chipmunks, raccoons, parrots and hedgehogs for use as small pets. I'd get to meet my weird quota with a reaction to convert sheared hedgehog quills into blowdarts. There's no way to make specific animals have blood feuds with other species. The problem, for me, is making these animals useful, like, is there a way to make them do simple hauling tasks, or will letting them speak(hopefully "utterances") allow them to make friends and give positive thoughts? I suppose having preference-free nobility would be pretty sweet. If only I could assign tanks to the fortress guard...

On vanilla plants, my thinking on this was just replacing "dwarven" with "cave" or the base plant name, not actually replacing the  vanilla content. Really, unless we see dwarf ponies and their farms in the show, we've got no basis for making replacements, but I suppose it could be a fun thing for flavour. Goatish is a good idea, maybe I'll add upper cavern biomes to mountain goats to justify that, with cave goats lower down.

Poison joke is actually already in, it's a dye plant(grey, inspired by vulpinus, a blue flower that makes grey dye in real life). Syndromes will have to wait until the base game is updated, and it's difficult to include syndromes that are funny, rather than harmful, though hopefully the were-system will allow for funny reactions like changing size, gender, or into a bunny temporarily. Hopefully the were names won't be hard-coded, because were- means man. Equo- or something would be a fair substitute.

Adding multiple creatures to an entity makes the entity pick from them randomly, hence the combined civs. Sorry, this mod really is held together by chewing gum and the power of friendship, Dorf Fort and MLP are two very distinct flavours of batshit crazy and getting them to coexist takes some compromises.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: November 07, 2011, 06:38:28 pm »

Actualy, how about replacing elvish with deerish as well? It shows up less, but it is still a issue.
Also,

Also, pinkie pie is now even more insane than I originaly thought, considering she may have for all intents and needs a baby crocadile of the cave variant as a pet. Sure, it may not have teeth right now, but it is barly less crazy than having parasprites wondering the halls.

Dorf Fort and MLP are two very distinct flavours of batshit crazy and getting them to coexist takes some compromises.

It tends to blend together somewhere along the borders of the Everfree, tho, with the dragons and the giant bears and the carnivores flying tribble-like creatures. :D

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #1010 on: November 07, 2011, 09:24:25 pm »

Making rabbits and parasprites adopt is my kind of evil.
is there a way to make them do simple hauling tasks, or will letting them speak(hopefully "utterances") allow them to make friends and give positive thoughts? I suppose having preference-free nobility would be pretty sweet. If only I could assign tanks to the fortress guard...
1: I like that kind of evil >:D
2: yes, there is the "friendship" mod, that allows you to basically make any creature a slave friend so it can help the fort.
EDIT: I just realized how appropriate the "friendship" mods title is to our discussion...
this mod really is held together by chewing gum and the power of friendship.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:26:28 pm by RexMundi »

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: November 07, 2011, 09:53:34 pm »

EDIT: I just realized how appropriate the "friendship" mods title is to our discussion...

Remember Friendship is magic, but modding makes friendship.

Therefore, modding is magic. :P

We fight crime with chewing gum and Friendship, and guess what: I am all out of chewing gum!

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #1012 on: November 07, 2011, 11:41:46 pm »

We fight crime with chewing gum and Friendship, and guess what: I am all out of chewing gum!
Woah there! we don't fight, remember? we Love and Tolerate people.  ;D

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: November 08, 2011, 07:38:13 am »

I have a suggestion on the trees bearing fruit, but it's a length one so please bear with me.

In the world of the cartoon series it's pretty heavily implied and shown that the ponies pretty much make their own world with magic. I get this from winter being an initiated thing rather then acutely being a true season, weather is also actually made and controlled by ponykind. Plus there was that line where the main cast was freaked out by the 'everfree forest' because it grows on it's own.

So my idea is why not have the ponies build/manufacture buildings or workshops that are called/look-like trees. Perhaps you can have such workshops produce edibles(cookable fruit, etc) from only time put into the workshop by a pony.

It would not be out of character with the show, and that those trees are not actual trees is just an technicality for the time being.

Heck, if you're really into it you could even create your own 'apple bucking' (or perhaps just 'tree bucking' as a more general term, though apple bucking sure sounds better) skill/profession needed to harvest(work in workshop) them.
Working on the "Dwarf Fortress Mod Creation Kit"
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102881.0

GO BUY STARFARER NOW!!!! It's crazy awesome!
http://fractalsoftworks.com/

DarkGenesis

• Bay Watcher
  • Darkness Shall Rise
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: November 08, 2011, 08:28:46 am »

I have a suggestion on the trees bearing fruit, but it's a length one so please bear with me.
Heck, if you're really into it you could even create your own 'apple bucking' (or perhaps just 'tree bucking' as a more general term, though apple bucking sure sounds better) skill/profession needed to harvest(work in workshop) them.

I see one major problem with this:
Press Q > Select "Tree" > Apple Buck > Press R > Infinite Food

The current "pet trees" at least are balanced by their shearings respawn (I think?)

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: November 08, 2011, 08:33:38 am »

That's absolutely true.

But it's no different the way fields create infinite food.

It's the timing you need to get right, it has to take a sufficiently long time to make it on par (or sup-par if you prefer) with field growing/gathering. Perhaps you can make it so the level of the skill would not affect the time it takes but instead the amount of fruit obtained, like with farming.

EDIT: A bigger 'problem' will probably be that you can build these anywhere, even underground. Perhaps this can be solved by looking into why beds can only be placed indoors and reversing this (if that's possible) and adding it to the workshop (again if such is possible.) But to me this seems more like a cosmetic problem then anything game breaking.

EDIT: If you're really worried about it not costing/needing anything you can have the process need apple seeds for example, that way you get the same flow of product as with farming.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 08:54:49 am by Vandala »

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: November 08, 2011, 09:18:21 am »

Ents do take three months to regrow their fruit. Slowing down the reaction could only be done by requiring a large reagent, as far as I know. A better option, possibly, would be to grow a "tree food" crop and convert that into fruit. How to combine that with the golden apple trees and other fancy fruits is the real question(using gems or ores for enhanced reactions?). As for an apple bucking skill, that's not really possible, we'd have to replace an existing one, like alchemy, and there are too many hard-coded references. I'd just make it a planter job.

The problem I see with it is that it's ripping up the current system in order to do something broadly equivalent but with different problems. It's an interesting idea and I might implement it at a later point as an alternative so people can pick the set of problems they mind less, but at the moment, the priority is getting guides done, refining banana ents, maybe implementing plantains and ensetes, adding "semi-sentience" to domestic animals(probably with a value/yield increase for milk, wool for balance), some new pet creatures like owls and parrots and swapping out the "dwarven" references for something more appropriate. That's more than enough to be going on with, and I've barely finished year one of my latest fort. There's also the issue that I've got more ents planned(chocolate, pear, pineapple, some underground mushroom trees) and I don't want to be maintaining two sets of reactions and having to make sure both sets are working every time I add a new type of fruit.

DarkGenesis

• Bay Watcher
  • Darkness Shall Rise
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: November 08, 2011, 09:29:51 am »

I don't want to be maintaining two sets of reactions and having to make sure both sets are working every time I add a new type of fruit.

I for one love the ent's, it makes the scene where Applejack was talking to Bloomburg seem sane. :P

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: November 08, 2011, 09:33:49 am »

Bloomburg was actually what gave me the idea, IIRC.

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: November 08, 2011, 09:39:48 am »

Ah, that's too bad.

Can I help with writing guides or anything? I'm reading throe all the old posts anyway, might as well make myself useful while I'm at it. Don't know if I'm any good at it, but I can try.

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 140