Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 348528 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #525 on: October 03, 2011, 04:29:42 pm »

Couple other questions.

Is there a way to:
-regulate the number of invaders in a siege
-make a race either trade with another race, or hate another race; they're both evil

No.
Yes, ethic tags.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 03, 2011, 11:12:02 pm »

This mod is quite awesome.  I haven't had this much fun with a game in quite some time.  I nick named some of the ponies after canon characters and had quite a chuckle after Applejack had a failed mood, went berserk and killed off a tame wolf pup by shaking it around by the neck.  Then Braeburn came around and bucked her skull in.   Princess Luna later engraved the scene in the dining hall.  :)

I have noticed a few interesting quirks though.  First off, is there anything I can do to keep pegasi from getting stuck on my fortress walls?  This has happened to a total of 3 so far, 2 of which thirsted to death before I even knew they were in trouble.  I also had 3 other pegasi get stuck in a (luckily) empty cistern before I dug 'em out.

Also, do the ponies eat / drink more than dwarves?  I don't know if the game actually keeps track of this based on a creature's size, but the ponies definitely seem to be drinking more than a similarly sized dwarf fortress.  Keeping my booze stocks stable takes a lot more effort than I recall.  Do the ponies actually require booze?  I seem to recall reading somewhere that this was something that couldn't be modded out, but even if it could I'm curious if it is in this case.

Sieges seem to work fine for me though.  I had a diomedian pony siege in year 4 that I managed to repel with fairly little trouble.  I only lost one markspony who suffocated after being stabbed in the head.   Still trying to picture that one.   :o  I'm no expert on barding, but I don't think she had a helmet.  Head hits seem to be pretty reliably fatal in DF anyway, but I've seen about a dozen fatal kicks / bucks to the head so far.  Probably not a problem considering it's a pony doing it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

ShayuaHaise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 03, 2011, 11:27:07 pm »

This mod is quite awesome.  I haven't had this much fun with a game in quite some time.  I nick named some of the ponies after canon characters and had quite a chuckle after Applejack had a failed mood, went berserk and killed off a tame wolf pup by shaking it around by the neck.  Then Braeburn came around and bucked her skull in.   Princess Luna later engraved the scene in the dining hall.  :)

I have noticed a few interesting quirks though.  First off, is there anything I can do to keep pegasi from getting stuck on my fortress walls?  This has happened to a total of 3 so far, 2 of which thirsted to death before I even knew they were in trouble.  I also had 3 other pegasi get stuck in a (luckily) empty cistern before I dug 'em out.

Also, do the ponies eat / drink more than dwarves?  I don't know if the game actually keeps track of this based on a creature's size, but the ponies definitely seem to be drinking more than a similarly sized dwarf fortress.  Keeping my booze stocks stable takes a lot more effort than I recall.  Do the ponies actually require booze?  I seem to recall reading somewhere that this was something that couldn't be modded out, but even if it could I'm curious if it is in this case.

Sieges seem to work fine for me though.  I had a diomedian pony siege in year 4 that I managed to repel with fairly little trouble.  I only lost one markspony who suffocated after being stabbed in the head.   Still trying to picture that one.   :o  I'm no expert on barding, but I don't think she had a helmet.  Head hits seem to be pretty reliably fatal in DF anyway, but I've seen about a dozen fatal kicks / bucks to the head so far.  Probably not a problem considering it's a pony doing it.

What I do to fix the wall problem is I build a ramp next to every building. They'll fly up and off. They have no problem getting off if there's a way off, even if it's a thousand miles away they'll just shortcut. Make it so an earth pony can get up to the roof, and the pegasi can get off.

As for drinking, no, they don't need booze. They're not alcohol dependent. It is, in fact, able to be modded out due to it being a tag in the RAWs.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 03, 2011, 11:47:10 pm »

IIRC flying is currently bugged.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 03, 2011, 11:48:59 pm »

Couple other questions.

Is there a way to:
-make a race either trade with another race, or hate another race; they're both evil

No.
Yes, ethic tags.

I think that there are tags that directly control how long a civilization will take to invade you; ie. how much your fort must be built up before they bother invading.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 03, 2011, 11:54:29 pm »

What I do to fix the wall problem is I build a ramp next to every building. They'll fly up and off. They have no problem getting off if there's a way off, even if it's a thousand miles away they'll just shortcut. Make it so an earth pony can get up to the roof, and the pegasi can get off.

As for drinking, no, they don't need booze. They're not alcohol dependent. It is, in fact, able to be modded out due to it being a tag in the RAWs.

Interesting.  I tried building a set of stairs next to the wall assuming the pony would be able to get down but that didn't seem to work.  Going to chalk that up to me not understanding stairs work, I'll try a ramp next time.

The alcohol thing makes sense and I was hoping that would be the case.  Guess it's not so much of a panic if I run out of booze then, except for the fact that this map has no drinkable water on it.  I pump filtered some water for my hospital, but that was too much trouble to just keep the ponies hydrated.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

ShayuaHaise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 03, 2011, 11:59:09 pm »

Interesting.  I tried building a set of stairs next to the wall assuming the pony would be able to get down but that didn't seem to work.  Going to chalk that up to me not understanding stairs work, I'll try a ramp next time.

The alcohol thing makes sense and I was hoping that would be the case.  Guess it's not so much of a panic if I run out of booze then, except for the fact that this map has no drinkable water on it.  I pump filtered some water for my hospital, but that was too much trouble to just keep the ponies hydrated.

Stairs should work to. Make an up staircase on the base level, and then a down staircase right above it on the level of the roof.

And yeah, I always embark in grasslands near a river and then redirect that river into a large chamber I dig out for wells. Multiple Z levels deep keeps the water from getting muddy, and it wont freeze in the winter if it's underground. Easier than breaching caverns.

If you don't have a river, you can breach caverns, though that's more dangerous and is probably more trouble than it's worth if you can get water some other way.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 05, 2011, 12:34:32 pm »

Couple other questions.

Is there a way to:

No.
Yes, ethic tags.

Ethics tag encourage the other civ to start wars, but the default status will still be peace. The buffalo ethics tags cause a fair few wars in world gen, for example, but I've never had a civ that was at war with the buffalo on embark.

I think that there are tags that directly control how long a civilization will take to invade you; ie. how much your fort must be built up before they bother invading.

Those only take effect if they're at war for some reason, and there are equivalent tags for when they trade.

I've asked before about the flier problem and people seem to prefer having it on, since you can do neat tricks if you know how to use it. I tend to use ramps. Actually, I tend to play as cave ponies so it's not an issue.

A thought regarding dough: Since the reaction calls for booze(as moisture and raising agent), do we want it separated into two tiers, based on booze value? I was thinking it would be best to tag every booze with the same material value as sunshine or better as valuable booze, so ponies aren't wasting golden applejack or pink finger lime wine when it has no effect on the finished product. There's no great amount of work involved, it's all find and replace now that the reactions work, but between having separate reactions for making dough with oil, tallow, or butter and this, it'll make more sense to have standard and posh bakery buildings so that there aren't billions of reactions all in one place. Or am I overcomplicating something most people aren't bothered by?

Oh, and do we want ponies made of bread, cookie and cake to appear by default, or should I give them a [DOES_NOT_EXIST] tag so that they'll only appear in engravings or statues "The item is an image of crimson banana gateaux pony in whip vine bread by Rutod Udargost".
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:15:57 pm by Nidokoenig »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 05, 2011, 03:36:42 pm »

Only if we can butcher them.

Also, I've got a fortress up with spare plants aplenty, but I can't convert them to wood in the wood painting workshop. Any reason why?
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 05, 2011, 06:30:34 pm »

None that I'm aware of. By can't convert, I assume you mean it's in red on the workshop screen? Try ordering some conjuring using the manager and see what it moans about. Check for problems with burrows, locked doors, and derpy ramps if you haven't already.
 Which entity are you, do you have woodcrafting enabled, do you have any fruits or vegetables which can be converted, do you have all/none of your fruit and veg in pots/barrels? That last one shouldn't be a problem, but it's worth checking. Also, check your region save's entity files for [PERMITTED_REACTION:PONY_WOOD_CONJURE] just in case, and see if there's anything in the errorlog.

I'm debating whether to make the cake ponies sentient. They'll definitely be butcherable into slices or individual cookies if I don't or ethics permit.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 06:33:21 pm by Nidokoenig »

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 05, 2011, 06:48:20 pm »

I'm debating whether to make the cake ponies sentient. They'll definitely be butcherable into slices or individual cookies if I don't or ethics permit.
[CREATURE:PONY_DASH]

Theropod Watcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 05, 2011, 07:19:39 pm »

I feel stupid for having to ask this, and it probably says elsewhere in the thread, but what skill does cleaning apples use?

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 05, 2011, 07:30:28 pm »

Plant processing.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 05, 2011, 07:37:35 pm »

Got plump helmets, which I believe are useable. Reaction is red, yes. I'll do the manager thing...

Theropod Watcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 05, 2011, 08:17:36 pm »

Nidokoenig, you really need to make a chart explaining everything, i.e. the armor types the other civs etc.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 140