Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 348507 times)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #360 on: August 31, 2011, 09:46:48 pm »

A Julian Gollop game?? Cool I've been into those since rebelstar (way, way before X-Com)

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 01, 2011, 09:22:44 am »

Indeed. It very much feels like X-Com, but it's quite story based, meaning you can't let any of your characters die, and the maps are quite heavily scripted, but they're really good fights until you've solved them, it'll give you dozens and dozens of hours before you're definitively done with it. It really is an awesome game, I just have a laundry list of minor niggles that amount to it not being the second coming. It's got some interesting abilities, too, like characters with miniguns being able to lay down suppressing fire to make the target skip his turn, and the medic being able to reactivate a character after they've moved. Late-game balance is a problem, but I'll always have a problem with late game balance with games that allow character improvement if I'm not slogging through dense, snow-covered jungle uphill both ways in the final levels and having to use every broken strategy I've found. Oh, and it being a 3DS game, it's got 3D, but it's only to make the characters and landscapes pop out a little and give a Minority Report look to the menus, it looks good.

I'm trying to resist the urge to get started again on X-Com, because I know that'll consume my life for the next few months. Not bad for a game that came out when I was 8 and I only started playing last year. Then again, if I cared about pretty I wouldn't be playing Dorf Fort.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 02, 2011, 11:04:50 am »

Heh, I have a "campaign" game of X-Com II where I found the ultimate exploit.

Leave a base alive and constantly raid it. I have to save/restore a bit though, due to high death rates, but I was making somewhere in excess of $300 million a month in sold off goods (total number of raids I sent was about 6 PER DAY due to multiple squads attacking). Probably made a lot more money, but spent all that on speeding up base building, hiring 100's of scientists and tech's etc at different bases. Normally I just build up 1 main base & squad, but this tactic allowed me to go mental with everything.

Also, I'm racking up some insane points per month so every country loves me (though I barely need the funding they provide), and I've been able to train up multiple squads in just 1 month of that. It was rough going at first because I was raiding the enemy base with just rifles (and not even plastic armour, they got that later), then upgraded that to researched gauss rifles, was getting really low on ammo (couldn't build workshops quick enough) but managed to research the Sonic Cannon just in time. Mind you, it's still tough going against lobstermen in the main base area, so it pays to limit it to surface raids at least for a while.

Now the game is at a point that I just raid that single enemy base a few times a month, this was to give my tech's enough time to reseach and produce the advanced armour types, so a few base raids is to buff up the points and money, and stockpile zrbite. I would keep raiding everyday, but that was getting repetitive.

This is the only time I've found it feasible to train more than 1 squad worth of guys. Also going to the enemy base alerts you to who is weak-minded so you can weed them out quicker and not waste training on them.

BTW I do not recommend this method because it was extremely tedious. (this might have been due to raiding bases 100 times+ in a row). Though I had bad-asses trained as early as May of the first year. I used to see some save-games for X-Com I with insane weapons and skills in the first year, and other than hacks, this method is the only way I can see that working out.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:18:50 am by Reelyanoob »

adecoy95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 03, 2011, 02:02:21 pm »

what is the average size of the ponies? i am looking in the entity's and i don't see it. i know that dwarves are 60000, are the ponies similar?

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 03, 2011, 05:39:19 pm »

the "leader" castes are larger than the others, but it's about 250000 for pony, diomedians and zebras
caves average a bit smaller at 233333.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 03, 2011, 06:06:12 pm »

Body sizes are in the creature files, not the entity files. Just ctrl+f for [BODY_SIZE: to see the various caste values.

Most leaders are 1,000,000, except Underlords who are 1,250,000 but slower than other royals, and sacred flying buffalo, who are 5,000,000(so don't go antagonising them unless you've got a cunning plan). For cave ponies, slippies are 150,000, gorlaks are 200,000 and dralthas are 450,000, bringing the average right up.

Apparently this scale is based on cubic centimetres, not grams like I thought it was when I started, but the two should be roughly equivalent. I based it on a comparison of pony and zebra sizes, 250 Kg being the lowest weight for a full-grown zebra I could find. It also works well with buffalo, since they're about four times the size of ponies in the show, and weight about a ton in real life. So ponies are about four times the size of dwarves, or at least two and half in the case of slippies, which is why unarmed ponies can be a bit brutal. I've had an unarmed pony take down an elephant. In the initial release, they weighed 450 kilos. Someone mentioned it as being like Kobold Camp, but in reverse.

Reelyanoob, I wish you hadn't told me that. When I have the choice of doing something fun and high risk, or something utterly boring that will make me invincible, I always go with boring.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 04, 2011, 04:27:03 pm »

Well I you do try it out ask me for pointers to knock 100's of hours off what I did ;)

Also, I've started making a game the other day, and it's going to be heavily moddable.

Two words - Space Ponies.

They'll need ship designs and space stations.

And vid-screen pictures.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 06, 2011, 01:27:09 am »

Body sizes are in the creature files, not the entity files. Just ctrl+f for [BODY_SIZE: to see the various caste values.

Most leaders are 1,000,000, except Underlords who are 1,250,000 but slower than other royals, and sacred flying buffalo, who are 5,000,000(so don't go antagonising them unless you've got a cunning plan). For cave ponies, slippies are 150,000, gorlaks are 200,000 and dralthas are 450,000, bringing the average right up.

Apparently this scale is based on cubic centimetres, not grams like I thought it was when I started, but the two should be roughly equivalent. I based it on a comparison of pony and zebra sizes, 250 Kg being the lowest weight for a full-grown zebra I could find. It also works well with buffalo, since they're about four times the size of ponies in the show, and weight about a ton in real life. So ponies are about four times the size of dwarves, or at least two and half in the case of slippies, which is why unarmed ponies can be a bit brutal. I've had an unarmed pony take down an elephant. In the initial release, they weighed 450 kilos. Someone mentioned it as being like Kobold Camp, but in reverse.

Reelyanoob, I wish you hadn't told me that. When I have the choice of doing something fun and high risk, or something utterly boring that will make me invincible, I always go with boring.

One thing to consider about pony sizes is that they are probably actually smaller than real-life ponies. I think I've even seen size comparisons of humans and ponies that put them at 3/4 the height of a full grown human.

See here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 01:28:55 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 06, 2011, 02:57:05 am »

True, but the relative sizes of ponies to zebras and buffalo work out well. There's no reason Twilight couldn't be fourteen hands high, since Princess Celestia is a god-queenprincess, and it really doesn't make sense for Zecora to be much smaller than 250,000, otherwise she'd have to be a midget. And remember, ponies are longer than humans, even at the height disadvantage, Twilight looks to have the same-ish volume as the human, and given that she's a fair bit chunkier than Celestia, 250,000 cm3 isn't too crazy a number. That does leave the problem of comparing them to rabbits and birds in the show(that reminds me, must make green jays, red jays, pink jays, etc. and make rabbits curiousbeast_eaters), but fuck it, magical pony cartoon.

Anyone know if it's possible to have multiple shearable layers? Banana and plantain leaves should be processable into thread, so leaves as well as banana baskets will have to be shearable, or I'm going to have to work something else out.

Two words - Space Ponies.

Takemymoney.jpg

Second.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 06, 2011, 03:39:52 am »

Buggerit. This mod has got me back into DF. I can't wait until interactions are in so we can have STARES, (maybe) teleporting, making moustaches....all that good stuff.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 06, 2011, 05:55:49 am »

The full title of this mod should totally be 'Slaves to Armok: God of Blood; Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress; My Little Fortress: Losing is magic'

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 06, 2011, 06:49:53 am »

The full title of this mod should totally be 'Slaves to Celestia: Princess of Love; Chapter III: Pony Fortress; My Little Fortress: Losing is Magic'
Fix'd that for ya

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 06, 2011, 02:37:34 pm »

The full title of this mod should totally be 'Slaves to Celestia: Godess of the Sun Chapter II: My Little Fortress: Losing is Magic'
Fix'd that for ya
Fix'd that for ya.
I just call it My Little Fortress on Steam.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 06, 2011, 07:26:48 pm »

FOr adventure mode, I called it S2CGotSMLFTM&FNiP!
(Slaves to celestia, Goddess of the Sun:My Little Fortress: Tales of %magic and %Freindship: Now it's Personal!)
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 140