Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 140

Author Topic: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress  (Read 348559 times)

Lilfut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Mod: My Little Fortress
« Reply #300 on: July 16, 2011, 04:39:18 pm »

Random thought: suppose rainbow ponies had a special caste, let's say Uberponies, that had all the "special" traits of the 3 breeds of pony? 4 wings, 2 angelic and 2 demonic, 8 legs, a poison bite, a horn, 2 tusks, bloodsucking, tentacle... Naturally, these would need to have like a 1 in 150 chance of appearing, but I think it would be cool.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 16, 2011, 04:59:22 pm »

the horny ponies actually have a stab attack already

That's why it seems natural to me that non-horned ponies would come up with putting prosthetic stabbing horns on their chanfrons. After all, everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 16, 2011, 05:14:09 pm »

alas, you can't add bodyparts with armor, and all weapons require a grasp to use.
I guess we could make a weapon that does the same job, but it'd still be weilded in the mouth.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 16, 2011, 05:20:20 pm »

alas, you can't add bodyparts with armor, and all weapons require a grasp to use.
I guess we could make a weapon that does the same job, but it'd still be weilded in the mouth.

Can you add armor that modifies bodyparts to make it damaging to attack them?

Spiked armor?  Attack it with no weapon, and you damage yourself?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 16, 2011, 05:25:00 pm »

not at the moment i believe, perhaps with the material weakness and syndrome upgrades coming next patch?

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 16, 2011, 06:32:48 pm »

so this is what boredom + bronydom does to a person..

started out thinking about a little armor redesign, as the current armor set has some holes here and there.

This is mostly based on the original armor but with some changes to layering and armor levels to make it cover all the body parts properly. and i figure it can help people out with figuring out what the crap a chanfron is anyway :P

Chanfron - Shaped, Over. Plate that covers head
Crinket - soft, under. chain or leather that covers head

Peytral - Shaped, Over. Plate that covers upper body
Chain Shirt - soft, under. chain or leather- Renamed to barding, armor level increased by 1 (will cover two joints from torso)

Crupper - Shaped, Over. Plate that covers back and flank.
no need for chain leggings as the barding will cover this area

Long/Short boots - Shaped, Over. Horses legs were seldom armored and as such i couldn't find a more appropriate name.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 16, 2011, 09:15:29 pm »

Cutie marks are really, really up for interpretation. I mean, look at Cheerilee. She's a teacher, so she has...flowers with smiley faces? And Pinkie Pie has balloons, which symbolize her talent at throwing parties, but that's not her job--she's a baker. So there's no real problem randomizing images for cutie marks, any more than there is in randomizing physical appearances and personalities. It all comes down to the investment the player puts into the story.

Nidokoenig, I was really confused by your use of the word "conjure." Turns out you're using it to mean "do magic," but it doesn't mean that; it means "summon magically from nowhere or from a great distance." "Transformed" would be better.

There's no way to restrict job functions by caste, is there? Because really, only unicorn and royal ponies should be able to transform anything.

Speaking of horns, I suppose it'd be impossible to make chanfrons with spiked rondels, wearable only by pegasus and earth ponies, that would add a stab attack? I don't know squat about modding, but it sounds to me like it would be difficult. The only instance of using armor as a weapon that I know of is the shield, and that requires a grasper, so I suspect it's not treated as armor at all.

I just got an awesome idea. Buzzards should be able to buzz in adventure mode.

I also detest buzzing noises.
How long have you had that signature?

I know that it's impossible to make armor that's only wearable by a certain caste without tying it to bodyparts that are unique to that caste, and that have armor-wearing capability already assigned to them in vanilla Dwarf Fortress.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 19, 2011, 09:09:49 am »

Random thought: suppose rainbow ponies had a special caste, let's say Uberponies, that had all the "special" traits of the 3 breeds of pony? 4 wings, 2 angelic and 2 demonic, 8 legs, a poison bite, a horn, 2 tusks, bloodsucking, tentacle... Naturally, these would need to have like a 1 in 150 chance of appearing, but I think it would be cool.

I think combining all the traits of royalty would be a bit much, we'd end up with something that had two tentacles, two tusks, a horn and a grasping mouth. That's pretty broken even before we start considering giving it eight legs, web, wings and bloodsucking. A slightly less extreme option could be mixes of three, pick one from Earth/Keshi/Draltha, one from Pegasus/Darkbolt/Slippy and another from Unicorn/Tentacle/Gorlak. If people like the idea, it seems the sort of thing that should wait for after the diomedians get jazzed up.

Nice ideas for armour, Sorceror. Boots is a perfectly fine name, remember Rarity's line in Winter Wrap-Up: "And even though I love my boots, this fashion's getting old". If we just call them high boots, it'll be fine. Although, with the barding, if it covers two joints down, wouldn't it also cover the head? It's not "down" as in towards the ground, but down the list of dependencies, i.e. eyes need a head and the head needs and upper body, so barding would cover pretty much everything? Or have I derped again?

The spiked armour thing gives me an idea, I could add a muzzleduster and a spiked muzzleduster. The muzzleduster would be a hammer equivalent, and the spiked versions would be low penetration piercing weapons. Sure, multi-graspered ponies would wield them with their whatevers if you let them, but at least it makes sense, unlike a pony competently wielding a warhammer with their mouth.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 19, 2011, 10:21:41 am »

Speaking of which, are you gonna make horrorterror pony megabeasts?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 19, 2011, 10:47:17 am »

I'm currently thinking of hemisemimegabeasts to add difficulty: basically they'd be slightly smaller that semimegabeasts but could show up any time, things like giant honey badger pegasi, headless horses, terracotta ponies, that sort of thing, to give the early going a little more tension. There are already ursa major ponies to go with all the other bear ponies.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 19, 2011, 10:48:23 am »

Krastos the Gluemaker.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 19, 2011, 11:57:48 am »

I think i have discovered the reason why buffalo run rampant and tend to stomp on the poor diomedans alot.
DF worldgen combat is fairly simplified and most of it just comes down to who is bigger.. buffalo are BIG and there are MANY of them.

they might actually be too big, i know you probably based their mass on the buffalo from the cartoon, but four times larger with horns is ALOT..

i tried out some fights in arena mode.. one buffalo had no problems murdering up to 3 earth ponies at a time.. when i added a fourth they managed  to take him down, after three days of beating on his unconcious body. even armored ponies fell victim to his massive size, and without weapons, he easily took down two ponies in iron armor..
gave everyone weapons, and armor to ponies (my buffalo don't use armor at all, they're hardcore)

did a 4v4, which resulted in four dead buffalo to three dead ponies.
with no armor.. O_o

i seriously DON'T want to fight these, you can keep your traditional stampeding grounds, i'll build my apple orchard on top of the mesa if i have to!

thetyler101

• Bay Watcher
  • [SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 19, 2011, 03:10:43 pm »

i tried out some fights in arena mode.. one buffalo had no problems murdering up to 3 earth ponies at a time.. when i added a fourth they managed  to take him down, after three days of beating on his unconcious body. even armored ponies fell victim to his massive size, and without weapons, he easily took down two ponies in iron armor..

By Celestia's beard!! We gota nerf them buffalo. Frankly, i think we could do with lowering the pony's size to that of dwarfs themselves. I imaged them to be about the same size in truth, maby a tad larger than a dwarf. 

Give that bitch some stone crafts, bitches love stone crafts.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 19, 2011, 04:14:49 pm »

Those are about the numbers I got when I was testing buffalo. I think a better solution would be to limit them to only savanna as a check on their growth, rather than make them pony size. We saw in the show that the buffalo were pretty much able to overrun the ponies, if it wasn't the chief getting a taste of pie.

I'm basing pony sizes on the fact that zebras range from 250 to 430 kilos, and 250 is a nice pony size, and buffalo look about four times that and weigh about a ton in real life. I think the large size suits the mod, there are quite a lot of people using it as a way of getting into Dorf Fort, any random pony being able to take out a few badgers or harpies helps that.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 19, 2011, 11:12:20 pm »

Having Buffalo be really, really tough seems cool.  But if they are really that tough they should have some sort of serious weakness.  Being heavily penalized for not being on Savannah seems OK, they would then simply own the Savannah, with little encroachment elsewhere?  Pony forts looking for a really hard embark could set up on savannah and give the buffalo a hard time...
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 140