Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Humans trying to sell me a bronze mortar?!?!  (Read 2060 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Humans trying to sell me a bronze mortar?!?!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 09:31:39 pm »

I use it to grind peppers that I grow

I'm sorry, this is really none of my business and you have every right to tell me so. But I'm always a little too curious for my own good, so: Do you grow them in your garden, or are you a farmer?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 09:39:14 pm »

Garden.  Last year it was in two medium-sized pots, around... 8 inches or so across, for three jalapeno plants.  This was VERY small, and none of the plants were very healthy.  This year I'm going to try and get larger pots for 1 plant, or put them in the ground.

There's nothing like the first time you pluck off the thick, ripe, red jalapenos, take a big bite of pepper, and immediately roll on the patio in pain as you just managed to get chemical burns on your fingers from the juices, not to mention the damage to your mouth.

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 10:00:13 pm »

Tools like this are all over the place in adventure mode. For example, night creature lairs have caudrons, mortars and pestles amids various stacks of foodstuff (paste made out from vermins, prepared human brains, elf meat and other delicacies).

The cauldrons typically contain some kind stew, the game lists the objects seperately, but they typically contain some form of liguid (water or blood) with organs and meat from butchered sentinents.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 10:03:37 pm by Dwarfoloid »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 10:08:34 pm »

There's nothing like the first time you pluck off the thick, ripe, red jalapenos, take a big bite of pepper, and immediately roll on the patio in pain as you just managed to get chemical burns on your fingers from the juices, not to mention the damage to your mouth.

You should wash that off in magma.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 10:11:33 pm »

It would probably help.  When I fix chili, I have to wear gloves.  Putting my fingers on a sliced open pepper long enough to run a knife over it, gets enough juice on my finger to cause chemical burns.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 10:29:49 pm »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 11:22:23 pm »

... That sounds serious.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 12:40:47 am »

Mortars are used to grind fine things, like medicine and herbs, which is why a lot of doctors have a mortar and pestle on their logo or somesuch.  I have one myself, I use it to grind peppers that I grow, and grind some flower petals to add to alcohol/vinegar and water to make some perfume or potpourri.

OK, I can see how you can weaponize ground peppers, but how do you do so with perfume or potpurri? You must be able to, you seem to find a way to weaponize everything else. ;)

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 02:15:16 am »

OK, I can see how you can weaponize ground peppers, but how do you do so with perfume or potpurri? You must be able to, you seem to find a way to weaponize everything else. ;)

Well, if we're fighting goblins, liberal amounts of their smell should knock out an ordinary human, so clearly perfume should knock them out.  Now we just have to wait for a sense of smell to get implemented...
All generalizations are false....including this one.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 05:49:14 am »

I use my mortar and pestle to smash lumps out of baking soda, and to make sucanat into a reasonably fine, uniform, powder, for my baking.  Back when I was breeding tropical fish, I used it to triturate antibiotics with flake fish food in order to have a uniform dispersion for treating cichlid digestive disorders.

Try making hot pepper jelly sometime.  It's wonderful in yogurt, but nasty stuff to make.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, 01:05:45 pm »

Perfumes are commonly alcohol based.  Easy enough to weaponize once you add !!FUN!!.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2011, 01:31:21 pm »

Here I got all excited thinking Toady had added new !!Fun!! in the form of explosives!
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.
Pages: 1 [2]