Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: Random Creature Generator  (Read 53034 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Random Creature Generator
« Reply #165 on: March 23, 2011, 02:56:24 pm »

I'm also reminded of the Giant Spiders in Vindictus, particularly Wenshardt (the one from the tutorial).  It's an enormous woolly spider, like 10 feet tall and 25 feet long.  But, spiders aren't -usually- hairy.  They can be, I know.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 23, 2011, 03:02:45 pm »

actually, hairy arthropods aren't uncommon at all

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 23, 2011, 03:05:16 pm »

Well, hair is common, fur isn't very common.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 23, 2011, 03:12:36 pm »

Not long hair, certianly.  That's why I said "bristles"

Actually if you rub it the wrong way, it'll break off and cause sores and rashes.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 23, 2011, 09:06:09 pm »

Not long hair, certianly.  That's why I said "bristles"

Actually if you rub it the wrong way, it'll break off and cause sores and rashes.
For you or the spider? ;D

And I did read the first page, GiH ... I just posted when tired, which I should know not to do by now.  ::)   :)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 23, 2011, 09:30:43 pm »

For whoever is unlikely enough to "rub the spider the wrong way"

Hurts like a mother, too.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #171 on: March 23, 2011, 09:40:15 pm »

yeah, it's very different than mammal hair, they can even have nerves in them, and for real life !!Fun!!!...

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/EyeHealthNews/tarantula-attack-pierces-owners-eyes/story?id=9458010

Beware it's deadly dust!
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 23, 2011, 09:48:37 pm »

I forgot about that.  All the more reason for forgotten-beast style stuff in the random generator here ;)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 24, 2011, 02:05:56 am »

Tail size - This isn't quite so straightforward, I think.  A relsize of 1 would make a very small tail, and small things don't hit very hard.  A club-tail the size of a garden lizard's tailtip wouldn't be very dangerous.  I'll need some arena tests for this, unless someone wants to volunteer?

I can test this.
I suppose tail size can be assigned to a creature individually, after deciding whether it will get one at all, and if so whether it will get a normal tail, a [GRASP]ing tail, or a [STANCE] tail. If tail relsize is 40% it's torso's relsize or more (800+) then it can realistically have an attack token using the tail as the weapon, or basis for a weapon. The default tail relsize is only 100, which doesn't make much sense for creatures that use it for something other than swatting flies.

Results are in *drumroll*
body part size DOES affect a creature's combat ability.

I tested 10 times with large groups of elephants with their trunk removed and replaced with a nose to prevent wrestling, tusk attack removed, and kicking attack switched to use the tail (leaving them with nothing but the tail, actually). The elephants with a tail relsize of 2000 always won with few or no casualties, and few injuries. Elephants with a tail relsize of 10 always lost, dieing, obviously. The elephants with larger tails also fared better against other creatures than the elephants with smaller tails.

Here are the raw files for the two species.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They should appear at the top of the list in arena mode.

Selectively attacking them with a human shows the difference in size doesn't appear to affect my chances to hit that body part. I think the [SMALL] tag has the biggest effect, because parts that have it are nearly always impossible strikes.

This is interesting to me too. if it has this much effect, then part size should always be taken into consideration when creating a creature. Voracious cave crawlers should have massive mouths as described, these elephants should have the [small] tag taken off their ears (elephants have fairly large ears). I would go as far in my modding as making dragons have larger tails and a tail-lashing attack, as that's how I always envisioned them. (I already gave them clawing and kicking attacks to go with the bite, and changed their growth curve to gradually step up to adult size rather than suddenly jump to it after a thousand years.)

I'm going to test how much damage I can do to that part on either animal with blunt, bladed, and stabbing weapons.

Size doesn't seem to directly affect the damage you can do when you strike that part, but it may affect your ability to actually land a damaging blow despite how your chances are described. And it definitively has a real effect on how much damage they can deal with that part... Ow.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 03:40:02 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 24, 2011, 03:52:56 am »

If this tool can be made to do all that Eric Blank describes, then Girlinhat will be one up on Toady.  Everything in Dwarf Fortress Vanilla is basically humanoid, plus or minus materials, tails, and wings.  Everything else is just a name swap (paws for feet, claws for nails, etc).

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 24, 2011, 07:21:10 am »

If this tool can be made to do all that Eric Blank describes, then Girlinhat will be one up on Toady.  Everything in Dwarf Fortress Vanilla is basically humanoid, plus or minus materials, tails, and wings.  Everything else is just a name swap (paws for feet, claws for nails, etc).

Yeah, it's all mostly the same with different coatings, habitats, and sizes. Not a huge amount of variation.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 24, 2011, 09:04:45 am »

Toady is handling actual features and things instead.  I'd never say I've "got one up" on him, but I'm focusing on an area that he's not.  Same as Dwarf Therapist.  It's a tool that focuses on an area that Toady has left as a placeholder.  Difference of focus, that's all.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 24, 2011, 01:14:21 pm »

I'm still rooting for you.  If you finish this up and well, I might use it to "randomly" generate creatures until it gives me something real, like a rodent I can use for capybara, and then rip the vanilla ones out and replace with the new hotness right heree.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 24, 2011, 01:20:44 pm »

Girlinhat cancels Crimes Against Nature: Interrupted by .22!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 24, 2011, 01:55:51 pm »

... and a new tag for you to add to the stew, I see.  Personally... I'm adding [PRONE_TO_RAGE] to my dwarveses
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15