Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Random Creature Generator  (Read 53035 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Random Creature Generator
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2011, 07:24:34 pm »

I suck at names.  If someone can contrive a reasonable way to generate a name, I'll totally steal it.

Modest Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2011, 07:46:11 pm »

I suck at names.  If someone can contrive a reasonable way to generate a name, I'll totally steal it.

http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/

I quite enjoy the "Names with Apostrophes" option.
Modest Moose cancels Clean Self: Unconscious

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2011, 07:56:16 pm »

If I had some C++ compatible source code, or someone kind enough to take non-C++ and make it C++, I could use that, otherwise it'll just be a list of names picked at random.  Which works too, if there's no better option, but whatever.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2011, 08:12:32 pm »

I'd personally love it if the symbol table was used, like the Random Plant Generator.  That way we'd get things like "Firesheep" and "Dark Devourers"
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2011, 08:16:17 pm »

Well, I actually have no idea what the symbol table is... I'd have to bang my head against that for a while.

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2011, 12:43:43 am »

The symbol table is in the raws. Its name is language_SYM.txt and it may be found in the DFDirectory\raw\objects folder.

The symbols table doesn't contain a list of the names of creatures in the game, so while it is a great idea to use it for part of the names and prefstrings, there would need to be a list of animal names provided as well. If you want more things like elk birds, you may want to make more directly chimeric animals based off something like the symbols table, but for creature types.

This could be accomplished by compiling a list of the "common" creatures in Dwarf Fortress's existing raw files that you want as a base, and another list or two of more rare and fantastic creatures from the raws. Then the program would select one common creature and one to three additional common or rare creatures to combine it with. You could then have it choose sets of body parts from them, and select or combine their names, prefstrings, habitats, etc. This would make all the creatures the program creates spring naturally from the existing fauna and resemble animals already found in the world.

It's worth noting, of course, that "scales on their eyes" isn't such an otherworldly idea; real world biology has made many things that seem much stranger to us than that. For eye-scales, just imagine a nictitating membrane [1] which is a bit more protective than usual, or instead a smooth, scaly sclera. If you're worried it wouldn't be able to see, remember the barreleye fish. [2] [3]

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2011, 09:03:29 am »

I'll have to poke through the symbols page...  That's an interesting bit of stuff.  As for mix-matching creature parts, that's kinda iffy.  I'm opposed to this simply because of how boring many creatures are.  A llama, alpaca, horse, cow, and water buffalo are practically identical in EVERY way except size.  They have have the same body proportions and body set up, give or take horns and sheerable hair.  There is absolutely nothing in the raws that gives llamas thicker fur, or alpacas longer legs, or cows thicker fat.  So, if you mix a cow and a water buffalo, with the size of a horse, you've made a horse.  That's why I'm making unique animals and unique tissue thickness templates, because the vanilla ones are boring.

Also, fish are weird.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2011, 04:39:17 pm »

I rather liked the suggestion of having tentacle barbs and hooks and similar on appropriate body parts. You could use the [number:x] tag to quickly and easily define them the same way teeth are. There's actually a bodypart similar to that already that you can copy and rename;

[BODY:TENTACLE_TEETH]
   [BP:TOOTH:tooth:teeth][CON_CAT:TENTACLE][CATEGORY:TOOTH][NUMBER:30][SOCKET][SMALL]
      [DEFAULT_RELSIZE:1]

this way the teeth will be applied to any other bodypart that has the category TENTACLE. You could change that to any other category in fact, having one for hands, arms, or whatever else you want to put 'teeth' on.
This way you can make things like cephalopods(squid and octopi) or giant insects like mantids that have sharp points on their arms made of a different material and used in an attack. This way you can have some dangerous predators like you said you wanted. Not unnatural, just not a normal mammal/reptile adaptation. I'd go as far as allowing thing's like Half Life's Bullsquid be generated. Actually I may mod them in at some point, just because they're awesome.

And I think you really should define different types of tails and have them selected separately from limbs; you could then give large prey animals larger tails with an attack based off them. This was common among dinosaurs, so it is theorized. Prehensile tails are of course natural, and you could define a very small tail for mammals like bovids and equine. Stingers and tail ornaments could be attached only to the normal or large variations. The [DEFAULT_RELSIZE:1] affects how difficult it is to hit that part when attacked, and that has a profound effect on combat. I think it also affects how often it is chosen as the target of an attack, versus other parts. Scorpions and lizards should have larger tails.

Are you using the [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:x] token and defining the plans in a file in your program folder? (b_detail_plan_default.txt for unmodded DF) it's used to modify tissue layers and body sizes within a specific creature. That way you can change the default_relsize of a spider's limbs to make extremely heavy spiders like tarantulas with large abdomens or extremely thin and gaunt ones with long legs and tiny bodies like orb weavers, or other combinations etc... just by attaching it to a new detail plan, instead of making new body parts. You can also change tissue thicknesses that way.

Also, be sure that insects and arachnids are anatomically correct; the legs should be set to attach to the upper body(thorax, cephalothorax) not lowerbody (abdomen). You could combine them together and have an inert abdomen part hanging off it, but losing the abdomen is essentially every bit as fatal as chopping a human in half below the ribs, so I'd leave them separate and just attach limbs to the upper body.

Fluff like the frills/shields and things should be encouraged and named differently from normal fins; it's not a large amount of information for the game to track, and it makes the creature far more interesting to players. It would still be easy to base them entirely off the fin entries in the raws. Again, use the [NUMBER] tag where there are many of them attached to the same part.

I like the symbol idea for names. I actually intended to suggest that before I read it.  :-X You could combine it with the language files to produce names in the language of any of the races. I noticed while typing my suggestion that I couldn't find the symbols list on the wiki anymore. I intend to change that if I can.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2011, 05:05:43 pm »

Does the symbols list constitute intellectual property (of Toady)? I mean, that file represents a lot of work. It would certainly be my first reference if I wanted to build something like a dynamic name generator. Probably can put it on the wiki, but you may want to check first.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2011, 05:37:28 pm »

Multi-teeth - I'm probably gonna give in and add this, although it means another set of parameters for deciding if a tentacle has teeth or not.  No big issue there.

Tail size - This isn't quite so straightforward, I think.  A relsize of 1 would make a very small tail, and small things don't hit very hard.  A club-tail the size of a garden lizard's tailtip wouldn't be very dangerous.  I'll need some arena tests for this, unless someone wants to volunteer?

Claw size - relates to previously mentioned.  Although I would point out that a separate detail plan isn't needed, as you can change sizes in the creature itself.  See: dwarf's liver, it's adjusted on the spot in vanilla.

Spider legs - Will do.  This is looking more and more like I need another deciding factor, which determines if the creature is a mammal or insect, otherwise it gets difficult to make decisions.

Frills & such - Fine, I'll add frills.  One issue is that they wouldn't appear on the creature's wound list or description by default, the same way that, for instance, nails and livers aren't listed by default, but appear when injured.  However, they can be described if given a color, so the description will have something like "He has red head frills.  He has crimson arm frills."  Luckily, I plan on doing this by area with an overall color scheme.  Like, a creature will only be red colors, so it might have red scales, crimson claws, amber wings, and scarlet frills.  Eyes will be separate, so you can have red skin and blue eyes, because I see a lot of mismatching eyes.  Some animals may be technicolor though, and have ash gray fur, teal claws, pink eyes, and aqua wings.

Symbol list - I'm not quite sure how to tap into this, aside from copying every entry over manually and hard-coding it in.  I'm ah, not practiced in reading text files.  I'm pretty sure that this is safe to play with though, and doesn't constitute a violation of copyright/intellectual property.  I'll ask when/if I actually use it though.

Rayc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2011, 07:27:01 pm »

I'm just waiting to see some examples from this program.

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2011, 07:28:26 pm »

Names should probably have something to do with the attributes of the creature in question. I'm not certain how you would set that up though. Furthermore, there might not be dwarven words to describe the attributes of a particular creature.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2011, 07:38:19 pm »

I can do a run of the program if you want and post the resulting raws.  They won't work, not enough tokens for a complete creature, and I haven't actually worked on it in like two days, so it doesn't include biome-tailoring or some other things, but, y'know...  I've actually been playing DF a bit, strange as that is.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2011, 07:44:10 pm »

See: dwarf's liver, it's adjusted on the spot in vanilla.
Hehehehehehehe.... I might sig this.

Tail size - This isn't quite so straightforward, I think.  A relsize of 1 would make a very small tail, and small things don't hit very hard.  A club-tail the size of a garden lizard's tailtip wouldn't be very dangerous.  I'll need some arena tests for this, unless someone wants to volunteer?
I think there might be four general tail types:
'arm' tails: Can be used to pick things up, arm-like in function. Maybe has club/spikes, but that would generally make it harder to use as a limb.
'weapon' tails: Can't be used to pick things up but can be used to strike with. This is (usually) the kind that contains clubs/spikes
'leg' tails: Used for movement and weight bearing, like with snakes/naga
'fluff' tails: Tails that have relatively minor functions, like a dog's tail
Soaplent green is goblins!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2011, 07:47:19 pm »

Coincidentally, a limb may be given [STANCE] and [GRASP] together, giving a tail that supports weight and grabs things.

I'm somewhat curious about using the [EQUIPS] token.  This is used by minotaurs most noticeably, who often appear with axes or other weapons.  It's also what causes trolls to pick up a mitten and harmlessly smash my woodcutter for 7 months.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15