Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Baron Selection  (Read 2037 times)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Baron Selection
« on: March 16, 2011, 04:46:11 pm »

It would be very nice if you could somehow view Dwarven preferences when on the "select a dwarf to recommend" screen.  As it stands, unless you've scouted out a candidate ahead of time, you're stuck once you get to that screen and you can't see who would make a good choice.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Baron Selection
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 06:06:24 pm »

I have to agree, be bad if you chose some dwarf who liked slade or the like

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 09:30:38 pm »

Supported, I usually write down dwarves who would be good for barons in advanced. But unforeseen circumstances involving liberal amounts of magma, elves, and trade caravans made me nominate a melting dwarf for my baron. Who died ten seconds after his promotion. I hated nobles so much I killed him in advance. Dwarvenly indeed.

In all seriousness, I still would still like to see who I was nominating before I choose.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 04:34:54 pm »

Yeah it's a pain in the arse to open up another instance of DF and hunt around for a nice guy to be baron.

I like picking guys with families, which is also a long-winded task to find a nice guy with a family. I wish there were a way to list dwarves by social ties.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 07:46:36 pm »

I pick him out ahead of time and give him a custom title. I also have him be the broker/bookkeeper/manage/medical dwarf. He does absolutely no jobs. There are other doctors in the fortress who do the actual healthcare. He just supervises from his cushy office.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 02:32:54 pm »

I pick him out ahead of time and give him a custom title. I also have him be the broker/bookkeeper/manage/medical dwarf. He does absolutely no jobs. There are other doctors in the fortress who do the actual healthcare. He just supervises from his cushy office.

Sometimes I do things like that, too, but it's a real pain when you weren't ready to appoint a Baron yet and the diplomat starts talking about it.  By then, it's too late...
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 02:42:53 pm »

Sometimes I do things like that, too, but it's a real pain when you weren't ready to appoint a Baron yet and the diplomat starts talking about it.  By then, it's too late...

I normally refuse and hope the diplomat lives to come back next year. The mountainhome seems pretty good at replacing dead liaisons in the last few versions, so I've never had any problems with saying no for a couple of years (while I scramble to get the baron's rooms ready).

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 11:37:25 pm »

It would be very nice if you could somehow view Dwarven preferences when on the "select a dwarf to recommend" screen.  As it stands, unless you've scouted out a candidate ahead of time, you're stuck once you get to that screen and you can't see who would make a good choice.

Seconded
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 02:37:10 am »

I normally refuse and hope the diplomat lives to come back next year. The mountainhome seems pretty good at replacing dead liaisons in the last few versions, so I've never had any problems with saying no for a couple of years (while I scramble to get the baron's rooms ready).

Well, I guess that's a lot better than ending up with a Baron who likes slade, raw adamantine, bismuth, shells, naked mole dog tooth, and tentacle demons for their corrupt intentions.  That's when you hope he absolutely detests goblins, so you can send a few of them to his room :)

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 08:44:15 am »

Isn't this kinda fixing the problem from the wrong end?

Sure, you could make it easier to select a guy who won't make impossible mandates. But wouldn't it be better to fix the game so that the nobles won't make impossible mandates in the first place?

Not that being able to see more info would be bad though.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 10:00:42 am »

The problem is, possible but impractical mandates, like fine pewter items when tin is scarce.  Or leather from an animal that doesn't live where you live.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 02:51:52 pm »

Isn't this kinda fixing the problem from the wrong end?

Sure, you could make it easier to select a guy who won't make impossible mandates. But wouldn't it be better to fix the game so that the nobles won't make impossible mandates in the first place?

Not that being able to see more info would be bad though.

I'd like some of the old mandates to return, for example mandates for more masonry work or more carpentry work (from the guild nobles back in the 2d version). Still, greedy nobles making unreasonable demands (and innocent dwarves put in jail) does add to the game - if your nobles were all reasonable and easy to please then it would detract from the medieval flavor.

I'd prefer a more varied selection of mandates - mandates to build a road, or to import/export x number of food or crafts (like a noble demanding you purchase sunshine from the elves - unreasonable if you're currently at war), or build a tower n z-levels above ground, and so forth.

Maybe make personality a factor - easy-going nobles don't make demands as often. Maybe allow a dwarf with high negotiation skill to talk a noble out of an unreasonable demand - or switch to some other material he likes.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 03:10:52 pm »

Maybe make personality a factor - easy-going nobles don't make demands as often. Maybe allow a dwarf with high negotiation skill to talk a noble out of an unreasonable demand - or switch to some other material he likes.
I really like this idea!  Having a way to selectively influence a noble could let your copper-loving peasant learn his liar, negotiation, and flattery skills and convince your noble to change that demand from "One slade cabinet in my dining room" to "two copper cabinets in this peasant's room".  Nobles making demands on behalf of their friends would be cool as well.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 03:45:01 pm »

I really like this idea!  Having a way to selectively influence a noble could let your copper-loving peasant learn his liar, negotiation, and flattery skills and convince your noble to change that demand from "One slade cabinet in my dining room" to "two copper cabinets in this peasant's room".  Nobles making demands on behalf of their friends would be cool as well.

Train a dwarf to become the Blackadder to his Prince George.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 04:06:24 pm »

Exactly >:3

Ruling from the rear could be an unlisted noble position in itself!