Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 125

Author Topic: Fiefdoms @ War: Turn 15  (Read 127462 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fiefdoms @ War: Turn 4
« Reply #690 on: March 22, 2011, 09:01:10 pm »

Ah, right.

Phantom, how the hell can you make CDs yet?!
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 22, 2011, 09:04:17 pm »

Obviously it is relics from the past. Like Minecraft Records.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 22, 2011, 09:04:50 pm »

Steampunk doesn't have CD players...

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 22, 2011, 09:14:26 pm »

Deer and other game-type animals make terrible mounts.  They can draw sleighs and carts, and work fine as draught animals, but they're too difficult to ride for military use.

Well, I do plan on having them as back-up very-lightly armoured cavalry for when there are no Horses around.

Plus I think riding around on a deer is cool for some reason.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 22, 2011, 09:15:31 pm »

I think riding a wolfman is even better! :P

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 22, 2011, 09:16:36 pm »

...Ok.

You can stop it now. Its getting annoying.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 22, 2011, 10:57:35 pm »

Actual Question Time!

What is the effective range, of a Necromancers Dark Whisper?
And of course, proly 1 per turn at this low level.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 22, 2011, 11:02:58 pm »

Questions: Where is my caravan? And do my units get some kind of bonus from having iron equipment? And revenue should 560, not 500 no?

Territories:

Foul Cen (£500/turn):  3 Spearmen.  Palace.  [Iron]  (upk: -£60)

Ichor Wes (£60/turn):  2+2 Spearmen.  [Stone]  (upk: -£80)

Armies:

Finances:

Cash Reserves:  £110
Revenue:  +£560
Bonus:  +£1800
Trade Pact (United):  +£100  (Access Copper)
Upkeep:  -£140  [7 spearmen]

Total:  £2430

Diplomacy:

~

Construction/Recruitment:

Recruit 3 Spearmen in Foul Central: -375
Construct 1 Mine in Foul Central: -1,000

Research:

Research Phalanx Formation: -1,000

Savings: 55

Techs:

Foundation Necromancy
Curses I

Troop Movements:

2 Spearmen from Ichor West and 3 Spearman from Foul Central invade Troud South

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 08:55:59 am by Demonic Spoon »

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 22, 2011, 11:06:36 pm »

I believe Iituem said that he codes these units in, and short of giving you a new unit type, there will be no extra bonuses from material.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 22, 2011, 11:07:59 pm »

Which means I should have $6 extra, But no matter. And..I reckon this means that caravans are consumed upon reaching destination.

Say Demonic Spoon. Shall we barter for my acquisition of Necromancy? OR shall we wait till we see what I gain from this Temple?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: March 23, 2011, 03:23:57 am »

Sorry about that, missed it on the summary.  I'll add it in.  Foul gets +£60 that turn, UP gets +£6.  Caravans are destroyed upon use; you need to take into account the £1000 you spend building one when calculating the profits of its journey.  Since caravans even with that restriction tend to make a much higher profit than ordinary buildings, that isn't too bad provided you are at least 4 territories/1 territory + an ocean region away from your target.  Remember that the more you use caravans, the more likely neutral territories will start sending out raiders to intercept them.

Materials won't give bonuses to units, they'll just make units available or cheaper to build.  This is indeed partly because I code most of this in, although it would be relatively trivial to give bonuses to that effect (I'd just manually add in a faction bonus of the right amount, as I am currently doing with wall bonuses because the territory/building scripts aren't even written yet).  The other reason for this is that because iron and copper are both needed to make certain unit types at all, just having access to said resource and getting a bonus would be redundant.  Assume that if a material type is not needed, the requirement for that resource is small enough that most countries can supply it with the trace amounts of the material found in their own territory.

However, as a note on researching units;  Higher tech-tier units will generally be at least slightly more efficient than their unresearched cousins.  Material-dependent units will generally be more powerful than their non-dependent brethren.  I will not make units have a special bonus if they have access to a material (as JF wanted for Auxila/Skirmishers), because while I could probably code that it would not be worth the time invested and lead to more unnecessary donkey-work on my part.

The Dark Whisper spell acts like an infantry unit; it can travel a certain number of territories per turn and will continue travelling until it is exhausted.  I was considering having it have a move of 2 but be affected by roads (halved movement points), but now I am considering just giving it a move of 3.  Hmm.  Yes, Dark Whispers have a move of 3 (I'll update the post). now has the 'Ranged Spell' special and can be used on any target it has a clear path to within 3 territories of the casting wizard.  You can summon as many DWs in a turn as you can afford, though each one of them will be destroyed in an attack or in defense (like Dark Wards).  So yes, that does mean that you could just spend £1200 and spam a 4-man defended territory with DWs and have a very good chance of ruining their defence.  But Dark Whispers can't conquer territory, so you'd better send troops in afterwards.  I'll add that to the post.

Presently this makes Dark Whispers powerful, perhaps too powerful.  I will consider nerfing them if I have to (or maybe rebalancing their counter-values so there is practically no chance of them winning a defensive bout), but mostly I am taking into account that it will be possible to research units and defences that provide bonuses against spells and spell types (such as curses) that can be large enough to negate this sort of effect.

Edit:  Remember that you cannot cast Dark Whisper or Dark Ward unless a Necromancer unit is present in the same territory when casting.  This counts for all spells.  If your caster is killed or wounded, you cannot cast.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 03:56:30 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 23, 2011, 03:44:12 am »

Oh I was just wondering as I was intending to hire Spoon's Necromancer(when he builds it) in a mercenary capacity, so I wanted to know if he could effectively bombard territories near me to soften them up so that I could then invade easier.

So I'd likely prevent me from doing shenanigans like that, by giving them a flat 1 turn duration. 3 move, but only 1 turn in existence, so hes got an effective range of 3 provinces, with that spell.

Annnd edited my turn to factor in that surprising windfall.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 03:54:40 am by Terenos »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 23, 2011, 03:55:17 am »

I was toying with just giving a range requirement rather than allowing you to quietly build up a large number and use them all at once.  Hmm.  Alright, let's change that.

Dark Whispers now have the special Ranged Spell.  They can only be used on targets within a range of 3 territories from the casting wizard.  They cannot travel territories, wait, and then move again on the next turn.

You could hire Spoon's necromancer to serve as a merc (and he could even lend you direct control).  So long as he continues to technically own it and pay its upkeep, it will have access to all the spells he knows.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 23, 2011, 04:03:03 am »

Seems much better. A little unclear if they can be quietly built up and unloaded in one fell swoop. If so..well, that  could be devastating.
But ima just assume you mean they get bought for £300, targeted on something within 3 territories (or even fired blind), and then they swoop in as an attack action for the next turn.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 23, 2011, 04:08:19 am »

Pretty much.  I'll rule they can be built up, so long as they aren't discharged.  Or you could buy 12 in one turn (£3600) and obliterate any non-warded enemy without serious or anti-magic defences.

I will consider releasing the Nightshade resource, which will give no or few other bonuses but provide a massive anti-magic bonus to defense in that territory.

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 125