Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1021 1022 [1023] 1024 1025 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454906 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #15330 on: October 22, 2018, 10:58:25 am »

The Last Federation: $3.99, down from $19.99.

You play as the last of your species - with your goal being to unify the other 8 races of your planet through any means necessary. There's also a turn-based bullet hell combat system similar to that of Stormwinds or Darkwind: War On Wheels in that you input your commands and then see how things play out.

You can also pay $4.99 instead, to get not only the full game but its 2 DLCs -

* Betrayed Hope adds Betrayal Mode, where your objective is to destroy everyone, and Invasion Mode, where one race has been destroyed by an invading civilzation, and the player must unify the others to push them out.
* The Lost Technologies, where every single race gets unique techs to set them apart from each other, among other things. Also adds a game mode where the major focus is on technology, rather than destruction or unity.
I love this game.  It's "What if I was a single hero trying to influence a 4X conflict."  I honestly can't think of any other game that's captured that feeling.  264 hours apparently, though a lot of that's due to "3AM but... one more 'turn'..."
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15331 on: October 29, 2018, 12:56:32 pm »

This got to be the worst steam sale ever. :P Two months more then.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #15332 on: October 29, 2018, 01:05:57 pm »

Steam Halloween Sale has begun.

Not a whole lot offering...but I picked up Darkest Dungeon and a bundle of Necrodancer and Danganronpa.

Two more sales coming soon, the Steam Autumn and Steam Winter sales should be in November and December respectively, and will likely have better selections.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #15333 on: October 29, 2018, 02:59:16 pm »

I feel like each Steam sale is worse than the last. Is it that we've already bought everything we care about, the discounts aren't as deep or have publishers and devs realized they're just selling themselves short most of the time? Or all of the above?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15334 on: October 29, 2018, 03:05:51 pm »

All of those reasons come in to play, I think. Also, once the steam refund system was implemented they removed "flash deals" from their sales, which was where the real deals usually resided.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15335 on: October 29, 2018, 03:10:47 pm »

It could also be the fact there's not really any good horror games out to even have a Halloween sale with.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15336 on: October 29, 2018, 03:27:17 pm »

True. There are only so many people to sell Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines to.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15337 on: October 29, 2018, 03:38:58 pm »

*Checks out Darkest Dungeon*.

70% clearly is still far to expensive.  I'll wait for that extra 5%.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15338 on: October 29, 2018, 03:42:35 pm »

My recommended pick from the discounted games is Vermintide 2. The game is damn good.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15339 on: October 29, 2018, 03:45:39 pm »

The games I really want I've already bought.

The games I have a passing to moderate interest in are tending to only hit 20-30% discount, which is only enough to entice me if I've not got any other games occupying my attention right now (plus those levels of discount occur often enough between sales that there's less urgency to get them right now).

The older sales had more of those same games at 70% or better discounts which'd prompt me to buy even if my plate were currently full, just to add them to the backlog to play later.  But these days those discount levels tend to only occur on games I have no interest in or that have been out long enough that I already bought them.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15340 on: October 29, 2018, 03:50:39 pm »

My recommended pick from the discounted games is Vermintide 2. The game is damn good.

I'll second this. If you liked Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, and enjoy Warhammer, you have to play Vermintide 2.

Also apparently, the new Call of Cthulhu game comes out in a couple hours. It's 10% off right now. I enjoyed the last CoC game (Dark Corners of Earth) despite how badly dated and janky it was by the time it came to PC. This one looks new and shiny though and seems like the perfect game for the season. I think I'm gonna splurge and get it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 04:07:56 pm by nenjin »

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #15341 on: October 29, 2018, 04:58:53 pm »

I feel like each Steam sale is worse than the last. Is it that we've already bought everything we care about, the discounts aren't as deep or have publishers and devs realized they're just selling themselves short most of the time? Or all of the above?

There are three major factors:

1. You've already got most of the games you really want. The industry can't produce a steady stream of MUST HAVE games as fast as sales come up, so eventually everything that's left is just stuff that sort of sounds interesting and you don't get excited about that.

2. Bundles run year round and drive down the expected price of games, as well as filling your library with games you are sort of interested in. Most publishers aren't going to put "real" games on sale for $0.50 - $1 yet I can constantly buy games for that price all year round... making even $7.50 seem expensive and something like $40 seem insane. The added backlog also makes them look worse, 50% off might have been a good price before but now you've got 500 games in your backlog.... might as well just wait and see if it gets a better sale (or gets bundled).

3. Flash sales have gone away. Previously steam would have developers pick two prices - regular sale and flash sale. They didn't want to set the "regular" price too high, because they didn't know if they were going to be in the flash sale or not, while they also wanted a good flash sale price so they would be more likely to get picked. So they'd do something like say 50%/75%. Without flash sales, most devs just split the difference and do something like 66%, which makes sales look much worse than a front page full of 75% off even though the average sale price for all games is probably the same or even lower.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 05:02:00 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15342 on: October 29, 2018, 05:14:39 pm »

GOG is also running a halloween sale, so there's options.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15343 on: November 03, 2018, 03:43:33 am »

You can get Destiny 2 for free (forever) until 18th November on Battle.net.  Not sure how worth playing it is, but free is free.

(edit: PC version, don't think this applies to consoles)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 03:54:10 am by Biowraith »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15344 on: November 03, 2018, 05:29:35 am »

Haven't really had any interest in playing it. But since I already have a Battle.net account......yoink. Thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 1021 1022 [1023] 1024 1025 ... 1134