Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1007 1008 [1009] 1010 1011 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454171 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread: Lukewarm Summer Sales
« Reply #15120 on: June 27, 2018, 01:42:39 am »

Can anyone who's played the more recent updates of No Man's Sky weigh in on it? Is it a good game yet? I was thinking of picking it up during the steam sale.

I've been playing Subnautica recently and have been absolutely loving the exploration, light survival, crafting and base building. I've looked at games like Ark and Conan Exiles, but they look a bit too grindy for my tastes. And I really prefer playing these sorts of games solo so the online component doesn't really appeal to me. No Man's Sky looks like something I might enjoy but it's hard to get past the massively negative reviews.

You can tweak everything in Ark. Every little thing has a slider. Tame rate. Egg and hatchling growth rates. XP. Dehydration. Everything.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15121 on: June 27, 2018, 07:34:14 am »

You can tweak everything in Ark. Every little thing has a slider. Tame rate. Egg and hatchling growth rates. XP. Dehydration. Everything.

Same for Dark and Light, if you want a bit of a different genre. I don't know how active it is at the moment but the official servers were packed when I played.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15122 on: June 27, 2018, 02:22:47 pm »

Age of Wonders III with both DLC packs is on sale for ~$12.

It's a turn-based fantasy 4X with both an aboveground and underground layer, traditional fantasy races alongside some less traditional ones, and a heavy combat/conquest focus. Additionally, your leader is an actual military unit with a class. They, and heroes you can hire (in limited numbers) have diverse choices as they level up. You get units both from your race and from your leader's class, and different leaders get access to different selections of spells to research and deploy. Ordinary units are also capable of leveling up, though their upgrades are predetermined. Each race gets unique traits which can affect both the strategic and tactical layer.

Additionally, rather than combat being smashing stacks, armies are strictly limited to a small number of units, and combat is a turn-based tactics gameplay layer (which you can skip, if for some odd reason you want to).

It's a solid game and addresses a lot of the issues I have with Civ and similar games. There's even an option to turn off city founding entirely so that you only get your starting city and can acquire more only by allying and vassalizing the neutral cities that spawn at the start of the game, or by conquering them and enemy cities.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15123 on: June 27, 2018, 03:20:45 pm »

Same for Dark and Light, if you want a bit of a different genre. I don't know how active it is at the moment but the official servers were packed when I played.

Dark and Light devs are split between that, PixArk, and I think one more game. All in development. I doubt any of them will be finished.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15124 on: June 27, 2018, 03:24:26 pm »

Dark and Light devs are split between that, PixArk, and I think one more game. All in development. I doubt any of them will be finished.

Ark Park. They've really thrown all of their dino eggs into one basket here. But that's slightly off topic, I suppose - Ark Park is the only of their three games that isn't discounted.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15125 on: June 27, 2018, 03:27:42 pm »

I picked up Rimworld during this sale. It's not actually on sale, apparently it never is, but I also hear that the price will actually go up some day. Since I've been meaning to give it a whirl for some time, I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #15126 on: June 27, 2018, 05:47:39 pm »

Yeah Rimworld has never gone on sale on Steam. Kind of interesting actually, but I guess it's good enough not to need a sale to entice buyers

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15127 on: June 27, 2018, 05:53:48 pm »

Yeah Rimworld has never gone on sale on Steam. Kind of interesting actually, but I guess it's good enough not to need a sale to entice buyers
Yup, he has the same strategy as Factorio. Make a damn good game and there's no need to devalue it because it's good enough to stand on its own legs.

I can respect that.

Thinking on that, quite a lot of devs have realized how silly their obscene sales were when Steam first came to prominence. You know what I'm talking about. Stuff like Skyrim for 90% off or Crusader Kings 2 complete for $5 or stuff like that.

It bred a culture where people refused to buy games unless they were on a massive discount.

It's kinda why the sales these days are all so mediocre for people who were exposed to the early days when the devs had no clue what they were doing.

I mean, I don't like having to pay more for games, but I can see why sales are kinda meh-ish nowadays. If you intentionally devalue your product so dramatically, what is the point of it?

I miss stupid cheap AAA games though. It's worse since these days, game base prices are like $60 or $70.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #15128 on: June 27, 2018, 07:25:13 pm »

If I wait for a sale to get a game, truth is I probably wasn't that excited about it in the first place. I can, of course, come to love said game despite that. But generally it's held true.

I can respect a dev house that doesn't ever drop their price. But it's contextual. Dominions essentially being the same game +1 and not being on sale for a lot of it's history....50/50. I guess it comes down to how much you like their game and respect their work.

I also think it's really whether or not a game is a dev's "baby." If they're going to stick with it and raise it and nurture it with ever expanding content and development. It seems they are much less willing to discount their baby than a dev house that has and can crank out a game in around a year, and plans to do one each year. The artsy walking/feeling simulators seem to be like this a lot, maybe because the design goals are way more aesthetic than they are mechanical, so there's less to expand on and continue to develop for the game. Although it would be kind of funny to see a game like LIMBO update and be like "Made all the environments 20% danker" or something.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15129 on: June 28, 2018, 12:13:39 am »

Rimworld's never seen on sale might have to do with it not being finished yet.
Love, scriver~

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #15130 on: June 28, 2018, 02:31:19 am »

Rimworld's never seen on sale might have to do with it not being finished yet.

From what I've heard, when Rimworld gets a stable 1.0 version, the game can and will show up on the sales, but the price itself will go up.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15131 on: June 28, 2018, 08:38:37 am »

My game, Trials of the Thief-Taker, is 25% off on Steam right now. Just in case your cup of tea is an interactive novel about catching or abetting highwaymen, smugglers and counterfeiters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #15132 on: June 28, 2018, 09:04:12 am »

It's worse since these days, game base prices are like $60 or $70.
Base game prices have been like that since like the days of the SNES :P

Actually, now that I think about it, inflation means they're cheaper nowadays, dunnit? Just now occurred to me the relatively static price point has the practical effect of dropping in cost.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15133 on: June 28, 2018, 09:04:46 am »

Rimworld has a discount on Humble if you got the monthly going.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15134 on: June 28, 2018, 09:08:30 am »

My game, Trials of the Thief-Taker, is 25% off on Steam right now. Just in case your cup of tea is an interactive novel about catching or abetting highwaymen, smugglers and counterfeiters.
I note that half your reviews are negative - what are your thoughts on the points that the negative reviews mention?
Pages: 1 ... 1007 1008 [1009] 1010 1011 ... 1134