Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 982 983 [984] 985 986 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1453341 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread: GOG, Steam, Humble, your mom has games to buy
« Reply #14745 on: November 16, 2017, 07:21:00 pm »

I tried using their 20% off voucher code and it didn't work for Paradox games. Not that it even tells me what games it would work for.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #14746 on: November 16, 2017, 07:52:50 pm »

It apparently only works for the three games shown to the left of the voucher.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14747 on: November 17, 2017, 03:56:07 am »

Try 20PARA
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14748 on: November 17, 2017, 01:50:26 pm »

Disgaea 2 PC is on sale on Steam for $12 US (40% off) for the weekend. Good fuckin' shit, pick it up if you like tactical RPGs and/or grinding.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14749 on: November 17, 2017, 02:04:57 pm »

Agreed.  I really enjoyed Disgaea 1 for PS2 back in the day, and this is a significant improvement.  Well-ported, too.

I'm not sure how to describe the series.  It's a tactical RPG, yeah, but both the story and gameplay puts an emphasis on ridiculous exaggeration.  And then the story occasionally left-hooks you with actual emotion, before going back to zany antics.  It's kinda like everyone's in a terrible situation and they're compensating by acting silly.

This is also where Item Worlds come from, which are just great.  Like a particular weapon?  Go into its personal dimension and beat things up to make it better.  Finding helpful spirits to upgrade other items...  And then you get into the math.

Except that's all *super* unnecessary to complete the, pretty cool, storyline.  It's just there for if you literally enjoy grinding, like me.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14750 on: November 17, 2017, 02:27:18 pm »

Yep. You can just do the story, or you can grind until your characters hit for tens of millions of damage.

3. Run Resize Enable

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14751 on: November 17, 2017, 03:22:22 pm »

Agreed.  I really enjoyed Disgaea 1 for PS2 back in the day, and this is a significant improvement.  Well-ported, too.

I'm not sure how to describe the series.  It's a tactical RPG, yeah, but both the story and gameplay puts an emphasis on ridiculous exaggeration.  And then the story occasionally left-hooks you with actual emotion, before going back to zany antics.  It's kinda like everyone's in a terrible situation and they're compensating by acting silly.

This is also where Item Worlds come from, which are just great.  Like a particular weapon?  Go into its personal dimension and beat things up to make it better.  Finding helpful spirits to upgrade other items...  And then you get into the math.

Except that's all *super* unnecessary to complete the, pretty cool, storyline.  It's just there for if you literally enjoy grinding, like me.

God, I played Disgaea 1 for probably more than a thousand hours over all my save files. I didn't even COME CLOSE to getting strong enough to beating the ultra secret super final boss fair n' square. I could beat him, sure, but by exploiting that one ability that would make random tiles into invincibility tiles and then chiseling him down over the course of like an hour or so.

To be honest, Disgaea desensitized me to all leveling mechanics in all games, because EVERYTHING in Disgaea has a leveling mechanic, and some things are basically impossible to max out unless you are an ACTUAL immortal playing the game for thousands of years.

Question: Are there any other games in that bundle that are worth playing?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14752 on: November 17, 2017, 03:31:03 pm »

God, I played Disgaea 1 for probably more than a thousand hours over all my save files. I didn't even COME CLOSE to getting strong enough to beating the ultra secret super final boss fair n' square. I could beat him, sure, but by exploiting that one ability that would make random tiles into invincibility tiles and then chiseling him down over the course of like an hour or so.

To be honest, Disgaea desensitized me to all leveling mechanics in all games, because EVERYTHING in Disgaea has a leveling mechanic, and some things are basically impossible to max out unless you are an ACTUAL immortal playing the game for thousands of years.

I managed to legit beat all the bosses on the DS version in the span of ~600 hours. Fast movement, no animations, etc. In the process, ONE character was 100% maxed out, including equipment synergies. The rest of my combat team was about 75% of the way there, with equipment to match. It's amazing how fast it goes when you do a lot of international travel with like 10-hour layovers. ;_;
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14753 on: November 17, 2017, 03:34:01 pm »

Oh my, I didn't have fast movement and no animations on my PS2 version. Damn I'm retroactively jealous.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14754 on: November 17, 2017, 03:36:50 pm »

Yeah, skipping animations is SUCH a nice feature in the Disgaea 2 port.  It was my first exposure to Disgaea 2, and it also includes ALL the optional DLC characters, so I don't know if it was a patch or what.

Either way, compared to Disgaea 1, it's very nice to be able to switch between "anime video mode" and fast combat very easily.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14755 on: November 17, 2017, 04:46:26 pm »

Try 20PARA

thanks for this, brother

between this and the natural 10% vip discount, i was able to get EU4 and CK2 up-to-date dlc wise for 30% off.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14756 on: November 17, 2017, 04:57:29 pm »

For the record, I bought GTA5, but I got a bunch of nonsense.  Part of it probably wasn't Rockstar's fault:  Some Russian apparently hacked my Social Club account.  Changed the password and set my profile to a Cyrillic "Hello!".  Considering I had GTA4 until now, fair enough hehe.

But even after resetting my password, I can't actually download GTA5.  The interface is [][]... a piece of shit, that's the moderated version.  It claims I own the game, but also that my key has already been redeemed.

They say my key (direct from HumbleBundle) has already been redeemed.  But I can't find any way to download the game.  I'm not sure if it's "You own the game but you must verify" or "You haven't found the specific page which lets you download your game"

Personally my take is "screw this, I'm enjoying Killer Is Dead (which I paid for, but is still currently free for... I can't tell, probably ~6 hours?)"
GTA5 is fuckin huge on disk space anyway.  Largely justified, from what I've heard, but it's still a consideration compared to appreciating less-AAA games.  GTA5 can be a good example of triple-A gaming and it still has to compete with godsdamn Spelunky because it turns out content is secondary to mechanics.
She/they

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14757 on: November 17, 2017, 11:29:06 pm »

R* has become absolute shit anyways, not worth giving them money. Best "fuck-you-ism" of GTA V is that in single player there's no way to save or protect cars that aren't the game-assigned default, solely because they want you to play GTA Online and spend real money to buy nice cars and insurance for them. They have a perfectly working car insurance system in GTA Online that restores cars for a price if you wreck them. Car respawning works with your current car. All of that could be easily ported to single-player, but they don't, because first policy is fuck the player.

3. Run Resize Enable

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14758 on: November 18, 2017, 11:07:53 pm »

OK so I decided to get Disgaea 2 on Steam, and I'm liking it a lot so far. The very long lasting feeling of being jaded to the leveling mechanics gave way to the simple PG-rated joy of the humor and atmosphere. Are there any other games in the NIS sale worth considering? There's some cool looking ones, like Yomawari. I was considering Phantom Brave, though it honestly just looks like a discount Makai Kingdom, and I'm extremely hesitant to add more fluff to my Steam Library that might wind up never being played.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14759 on: November 20, 2017, 03:59:50 pm »

Looks like Humble bundle is giving away Brutal Legend for free.

Go git 'em. Lasts 1 day and 21 hours from this post.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 982 983 [984] 985 986 ... 1134