Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 981 982 [983] 984 985 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1453249 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread: GOG, Steam, Humble, your mom has games to buy
« Reply #14730 on: October 28, 2017, 09:33:57 pm »

1990's D&D, so many unique settings and expansions that they spread themselves too thin, then went broke. I think there's a SpellJammer video game I have to try one day, SpellJammer was my favorite expansion.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 09:39:18 pm by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14731 on: October 28, 2017, 09:43:17 pm »

A 1992 game, apparently.  I know nothing about it, but I'm curious.  Spelljammer seems crazy-cool from everything I hear of it.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14732 on: October 28, 2017, 09:59:07 pm »

Isn't Spelljammer like D&D wizards in space?

Pools of Radiance and Bard's Tale got me busy, and it was tiring by the 3rd sequel of the series. 

"3D view" games started coming in such as Eye of the Beholder, or Wizardy VII.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14733 on: October 28, 2017, 10:01:27 pm »

A 1992 game, apparently.  I know nothing about it, but I'm curious.  Spelljammer seems crazy-cool from everything I hear of it.

Just looking it up, it's called "Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace" and seems to have the usual top-down RPG sections but the article also mentions trading from planet to planet and, looking at a video, it's got quite an impressive attempt at flying around in space by plotting courses to planets, adjusting heading and spelljamming (warping) to places. It's not available on GOG.com though sadly.

There's also "Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse" which is more of an action RPG with jumping puzzles and real-time combat. It's still got RPG elements in dialogue and the setting is one of those little explored Forgotten Realms settings.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14734 on: October 28, 2017, 11:50:49 pm »

Isn't Spelljammer like D&D wizards in space?

Yeah, in the setting they craft magical artifacts called a "helm" (from memory), to levitate an actual sea-faring ship, then a magic user or priest mans the helm and their magic power directly powers the ship.

The physics / cosmology is pretty cool too, each solar system is a crystal sphere (like the old ptolomaic model), the stars are weak points on the sphere, and outside it is bright but chaotic area called the phlogiston. Then, you need to navigate to the next crystal sphere, and sphere exist for all the major worlds of D&D at the time, so it had rules for travelling from Krynn to the Forgotten Realms and a few others. So ... yeah, it isn't "space" as we know it.

Also, gravity works differently. In SpellJammer, small objects retain atmosphere, so asteroids or ships carry a bubble of air around with them, and they have their own planar gravitational field, so if you fall off a ship, you bob along at a tangent to the plane of the ship. So effectively, there's air in space in this game, so they don't have to ruin the flavor with space suits and stuff. You have stuff such as being attacked and boarded by skeleton space pirate galleons and stuff.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 11:54:12 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14735 on: October 29, 2017, 01:07:00 am »

All these words and somehow nobody mentions the mercenary inclined hippomen. Respect the giff, yo', lest they shoot you in the face with fantasy flintlocks.

... also, my total actual exposure to spelljammer has been a couple of the books. There was at least one trilogy written! Pretty sure they started on krynn, got raided by illithids, and things went from there. Mindflayer space pirates, man. Forgotten realms baddies coming for dragonlance gnome brains. Pretty sure it was primarily gnomes, anyway, though the MC was human and primary-ish secondary character giff. Most badass hippoman to ever grace the krynn setting. Also possibly the only hippoman that ever graced the krynn setting in novel form, I'unno.

Any case, there could stand to be more spelljammer games. Pretty sure I've never played the one, and mindflayer spelljammers with modern production values would probably be amazing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14736 on: October 29, 2017, 01:30:29 am »

I found Tooth & Claw to be maybe a little bit too 'console peasant'. The one-click system doesn't really do for me.
Sale ends soon though so someone else might have found it good enough to recommend.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14737 on: October 29, 2017, 02:50:10 am »

... also, my total actual exposure to spelljammer has been a couple of the books. There was at least one trilogy written! Pretty sure they started on krynn, got raided by illithids, and things went from there.

It's been years, but wasn't it neogi (the BEM slavers who were the giff's arch-rivals) rather than illithids who were chasing the macguffin that the dying sexy space elf captain gave to the simple local boy?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14738 on: October 29, 2017, 07:14:28 am »

Possibly? It rings a bell, but I only really read through the first book, and as with you it's been years... more like decades at this point, I think. I'm pretty sure there was at least one mindflayer attack on a gnomeish population in the first book, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14739 on: October 29, 2017, 08:19:36 am »

Speaking of DnD: does anyone have any experiences with "Sword Coast Legends"? It seems to be some kind of reworked Neverwinter Nights (which I loved), but I'm not sure if it is really focused on single-player experience...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14740 on: October 29, 2017, 03:22:33 pm »

Generally the opinions I have seen of it on other rpg related forums have ranged from the game being unimpressing to lacking. Takes a lot of liberties with the ruleset but is set in the Forgotten Realms, either of which might be a pro or a con depending on view of them. Developer seemed serious about following through with content after a lacklustre release, but i stopped paying attention soon after so I don't know if the kept their promises.
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14741 on: November 16, 2017, 03:50:35 pm »

Killer Is Dead is free on Humble Bundle if you grab it in the next couple of days.  There are various sales as usual, most notably (to me) GTA5 half off ($30) and MGS5 for 13.99 if you don't have it yet. I'm finally grabbing GTA5 since I've heard mostly great things (multiplayer aside). MGS5 is pretty great too, especially at that price.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14742 on: November 16, 2017, 05:07:41 pm »

They're so similar in so many ways.

Great singleplayer.

Questionable online.

Microtransactions up the arse for online...

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14743 on: November 16, 2017, 05:26:32 pm »

GMG runs a decent sale on paradox titles, including the new DLCs, with their voucher.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #14744 on: November 16, 2017, 07:11:01 pm »

They have a voucher for paradox titles? The voucher it's showing me is only for three very specific games which I have no interest in.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
Pages: 1 ... 981 982 [983] 984 985 ... 1134