Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 922 923 [924] 925 926 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454416 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #13845 on: November 24, 2016, 04:04:13 pm »

Controller talk

Pretty much all new games that support controllers support 360 pads out of the box. It's what I and (probably) most other people who use a controller for PC gaming use.
It's also probably worth noting that if you've got joytokey (or something similar) pretty much any controller that works at all is pretty usable. Doubly worth noting if you play anything older that isn't as welcoming to the things.

I'm using some kind of cheapo blue... sabrent? After checking. Controller, more or less shaped like a PSX one. S'aight, wasn't particularly expensive, and what doesn't recognize it without any fiddling recognizes j2k without particular issue.

So while you might not need anything but a plug and play (via Xbox 360 or whatev'), if for whatever reason you need to use something else there is third party software that'll make it so your purchase/acquisition isn't a waste of money. Basically, would recommend going for price and comfort more than compatibility -- the latter doesn't take all that much effort to deal with if there's problems on its front.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13846 on: November 24, 2016, 04:07:10 pm »

The full Liquid Rhythm Collection (not the subscription, so it's yours) is 80% off, at $20 if you're looking for a high quality piece of music making software.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13847 on: November 24, 2016, 04:23:14 pm »

high quality piece of music making software.

The reviews for it suggest otherwise.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13848 on: November 24, 2016, 04:26:54 pm »

high quality piece of music making software.

The reviews for it suggest otherwise.

Either way, it's cheap (now) and a decent one. I'm enjoying using it, but I'm not using it in any serious (music profession-related) manner.

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13849 on: November 24, 2016, 04:53:32 pm »

Controller talk

Pretty much all new games that support controllers support 360 pads out of the box. It's what I and (probably) most other people who use a controller for PC gaming use.

The Steam controller appears to be love or hate. I've never used one but my coworker bought it and thinks it's great.

Good news, you can probably find deals on a 360 pad basically anywhere and Steam has a bit of a discount on the Steam controller.

My dad ended up buying the xbox one controller from microsoft for my christmas present. I'll still have to wait till christmas to use/open it. But he has amazon prime, so cheaper/free shipping on most stuff. It was kinda pricey I guess (34 dollars), but I looked at xbox 360 controllers (a lot cheaper) and none by microsoft. The ones I saw didn't get that good reviews either. In any case, the xbox one controllers are extremely comfortable for my hands. For some reason, slightly more so than the xbox 360 ones, unless my hands just changed or something as I've gotten older.

But 34% off the normal price isn't too bad. Comes with a cable to connect it directly to my USB port. And I can use it for GTA V and other games that are better for controllers. Like when I open my gift on christmas, I can actually play racing games on my PC lol. GTA V and driving with a keyboard is not the most optimal experience :P

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13850 on: November 24, 2016, 05:01:38 pm »

As far as controller stuff goes, I switch between a 360 and a XBONE controller. I've used both for a while and they both have their own problems; the buttons on the 360 pad tend to stick and the right bumper barely works at all, while the analog sticks on the One are a little loose and the A button is loose. I tend to put in a lot of gaming hours however and this is natural after extended heavy use. Aside from that, although I prefer PS controllers myself, the Xbox type are perfectly serviceable and are already supported by many games. Just try to find one cheap, and don't get an off-brand one; my 360 controller is off-brand and some games recognize it as a PS3 controller for some reason, which not only means I get the wrong button prompts but that sometimes they don't even match up (since when does B = Triangle? Pretty sure it would be Circle :P ).

ninja edit: Yeah, the One is probably a better choice than the 360 controller. The standard 360 controller has an atrocious directional pad, while the One's is more like the old-school NES d-pad.

Also, I don't think discussion is too bad, as long as it's mostly on-topic. Talking about controllers for games on sale, or the games themselves to give someone an idea of what they're in for, is probably fine.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13851 on: November 24, 2016, 05:39:14 pm »

8bitdo makes some nice little controllers in the NES and SNES vein that have dual analog sticks and shoulder buttons. Very portable. I have not fully tested them on a lot of the xbox360 compatible Steam games.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13852 on: November 24, 2016, 06:28:31 pm »

This is relevant to my interests. PM me or something if they turn out to work well; I may have to look into getting one for myself. ^^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13853 on: November 24, 2016, 10:35:27 pm »

So uh...

Either it's a price error or someone has gone mental, but Civ 6 Deluxe Edition has been 80% off on here: https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/5eqmrf/games_republic_civilization_vi_digital_deluxe/

It's being hugged to death but users have confirmed that it works.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13854 on: November 24, 2016, 11:27:52 pm »

I feel kinda bad for taking advantage of what was probably an error, but I wouldn't have tried Civ VI otherwise. Gonna see if I can get through.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13855 on: November 24, 2016, 11:54:08 pm »

Subnautica for $12? Yes/no

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13856 on: November 25, 2016, 01:53:07 am »

So uh...

Either it's a price error or someone has gone mental, but Civ 6 Deluxe Edition has been 80% off on here: https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/5eqmrf/games_republic_civilization_vi_digital_deluxe/

Not anymore. Site works now, but game is removed from the store. Very recent reddit comments saying its over. I was trying to get it, but I didn't really have the money anyway after buying other games. So it saves my wallet lol

Plus, since its removed, and what was most likely the case anyway...either someone got pissed or it was a very huge mistake on someones part. Someone is probably getting fired over that lol
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 01:55:47 am by Kazagarth »

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13857 on: November 25, 2016, 03:34:48 am »

Original dishonoured less than £5  :D
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13858 on: November 25, 2016, 07:38:55 am »

Subnautica for $12? Yes/no
Do you like the solo survival game schtick y/n? It's worth about that IMO if you kinda do.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #13859 on: November 25, 2016, 11:24:48 am »

So uh...

I wonder how many keys they sold at that price. With over 1500 Reddit comments last night, I imagine they sold at least 1000 keys (with some folks posting multiple times and many not posting at all). Plus it was reposted all over the internet. The numbers could be way higher. The site was totally hammered, but I don't know how many concurrent users they can support - may have been 10,000+ keys for all I know.

I would imagine the profit margins on Civ VI keys are probably pretty low. I would guess something like 70% of the purchase price would go to Steam on fairly new releases like these. If that's the case, Games Republic would have lost something like $40 per key sold.

Games Republic probably lost tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of dollars on this deal. Considering 11 bit studios a fairly small indie company, this is going to hurt them pretty bad.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
Pages: 1 ... 922 923 [924] 925 926 ... 1134