Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 917 918 [919] 920 921 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454356 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #13770 on: November 18, 2016, 08:03:46 pm »

Amalur is alright, thoguh I played it less than SeriousConcentrate.

Most of what I've seen of AC4 could be summed up as 'Good if you want a pirate game that sometimes gets interrupted by sci-fi bullshit'.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13771 on: November 18, 2016, 08:12:24 pm »

Agreed; that's the biggest problem with AC4. I wish they would just drop the modern day side story in those games. They are clearly unwilling to move it along (since that would end the franchise) so it is just aimless filler that you have to slog through to get back to the good parts.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13772 on: November 18, 2016, 09:01:48 pm »

Well, Chroma Squad seems like a good purchase so far.
Probably the second or third-best tutorial I've ever experienced. It does a great job of parodying old school Power Rangers (in a nice way) etc., too. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13773 on: November 19, 2016, 09:56:43 am »

I only played Mad Max at my brother's, but it feels like a good game. comparing to other games, I'd say it's closer to the Far Cry 2-3-4 games than to  the Fall Out ones. With more car-based gameplay, too.

About Kingdom of Amalur, it's Basically an offline MMORPG. It is a bit grindy because of its quest system, but the combat system is nice, as long as you're into the game. with the multiple classes with different gameplay, it looks like they intend for you to restart it once in a while, but the adventure with always stay the same. I think that if you're into Diablo-like and want a gameplay closer to (recent) MMORPGs (in which you can play nearly alone), you'll like it.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13774 on: November 19, 2016, 10:10:09 am »

Mad Max is a good game. I'd happily recommend it.

Combat can feel a bit clunky if you are used to assassins creed / Shadows of Mordor fluidity, but the world is
gorgeous, and the driving is great. Didn't like the ending but oh well.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #13775 on: November 19, 2016, 10:22:50 am »

Steam is having a sale on Klei games this weekend. Don't Starve, Mark of the Ninja, and Invisible Inc.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13776 on: November 19, 2016, 10:35:28 am »

Mark of the Ninja is pretty cool.  2D platforming stealth that does get stealth right, and I liked the art style.
Sorta like Stealth Bastard except less puzzly, more quick-thinking stealth.  Also you can kill people in various fun ways.

Invisible Inc is a really cool concept but it was a bit stressful for me XD  I got 3 playthroughs though, 12 hours over a couple weeks.  Good times.
The characters have a lot of personality...  Particularly when they're about to die.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13777 on: November 19, 2016, 11:39:33 am »

Invisible Inc. Completely lost my interest after one playthrough. The first one was okay I just had zero motivation to bother doing it again.

Don't Starve is kinda lame in that 90% of the content is busywork. There's a few really neat areas that you *should* be able to explore, but you never can because as you get established the game is scaled to keep giving you MORE busywork. It was interesting for a few hours but after that I couldn't help but feel like I'd be having more fun playing Cata: DDA.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13778 on: November 19, 2016, 12:18:36 pm »

Don't Starve is mostly interesting for the theming and that its a survival game that isn't in early access.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13779 on: November 19, 2016, 01:48:54 pm »

Invisible Inc. Completely lost my interest after one playthrough. The first one was okay I just had zero motivation to bother doing it again.

Don't Starve is kinda lame in that 90% of the content is busywork. There's a few really neat areas that you *should* be able to explore, but you never can because as you get established the game is scaled to keep giving you MORE busywork. It was interesting for a few hours but after that I couldn't help but feel like I'd be having more fun playing Cata: DDA.

This is fine if you ask me. "Survival" games these days aren't even about survival, it takes up a tiny fraction of the game without being challenging and the rest is spent exploring/building/murdering everything in sight. What Don't Starve does is constantly try to keep your survival at risk by balancing things in such a way that there are few easy solutions and making most things come at a cost. You probably would hate a game like The Long Dark which is pretty much 100% survival busywork. This doesn't make the games "lame" or bad, just not for you.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 01:50:41 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13780 on: November 19, 2016, 02:51:54 pm »

Don't Starve is awesome, especially with a friend. I've mostly only played it multiplayer, though.
Yes, there's a lot of scraping to get by, but that's part of the fun. Makes it all the more satisfying when you do make it to the point where you're doing well and can make it through the Winter, and all the more traumatic when some catastrophe destroys everything you've worked for.

One thing I felt was a bit much was the sanity mechanic. A lot of the time you wind up having to run around frantically picking flowers to stave off death. Gets irritating, considering you have so many more tangible things to worry about. I usually increase the number of flowers in worldgen to make that less of an issue.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13781 on: November 19, 2016, 02:58:27 pm »

Re: busywork

I guess? I mean, here's what I remember from the game (no reign of giants purchased): The first part is pretty decent, you spend a lot of time and effort on survival as is promised so that's cool. There's definitely a balance of resources to maintain, and you gotta get ready for winter.

.... and that's it.

Once you make it through winter, you're done. You don't want to fight giants, leave piggies for that. The hounds come more often in larger numbers so you either must stock food to keep piggy bodyguards, live near a village, or make a trapline. I chose a trapline, so every four days I had to hide behind it, kill off hounds, then spend 2 days resetting the trap line (you can't just reset a trap, you have to pick up and replace each one individually...) then grab food and have about a day to explore... then the hounds attack and you have to replace all your trap line and start all over.

It's the definition of empty, pointless grinding. I'm not even going to see the

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

because there's no way to progress other than starting completely over and trying to rebuild faster... so grind more. Given the general vehement hatred of grinding in OG, I figured I'd point that out in case someone was eying the game expecting something different.

I can't comment about multiplayer though, I played before that was a thing.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13782 on: November 19, 2016, 03:40:17 pm »

You probably want a less time-intensive strategy for the hounds then.

Oh and Yoink, sanity isn't too hard to deal with once you know what affects it. Foods like jerky and some crockpot recipes can take care of the majority of sanity issues. If flowers are a problem, just make your own renewable flower garden using butterflies for when things get rough. Flowers spawn butterflies, butterflies can be caught to make more flowers. The net to catch them costs spider silk but that's not a problem if you regularly hunt spiders for food and healing items.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13783 on: November 19, 2016, 04:20:02 pm »

Huh, the only part of that I didn't know is the butterfly part.
I had no idea you could breed new flowers from butterflies! That could certainly come in handy, especially since butterflies aren't really used for much else. I'll remember that for next time I play. Also I usually play as the spiderbro, so silk definitely isn't a problem. Cannibalism is okay when it benefits both parties, right?

The other tips only really work when you have plentiful supplies. I don't usually have sanity problems in the middle of summer when the crockpot's going full-blast cranking out tonnes of food, haha. Man, now I feel like playing this game. Haven't actually played it properly in a long time!
Booze is Life for Yoink

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13784 on: November 19, 2016, 04:26:51 pm »

Cannibalism is okay when it benefits both parties, right?
I wanted to post a SC3 Harika&Yorn image as response, but I forgot just how shitty the images were in that game.  The "Yorn" is just a white blob not recognizable as a character.

So meh here's a decent description of them off some Wikia apparently devoted to all aliens:
Quote from: TECHNICALLY not cannibalism, which is the best kind of not cannibalism
The Harika & Yorn evolved as a symbiotic relationship with the warlike reptilian Harika eating the Yorn which serves to control the Yorn's population numbers. They also gain the advice of their somewhat more diplomatically minded food. The Yorn resemble Star Trek tribbles and as such would not be capable of a technological society on their own; the Harika grant them this chance. At the start of the game they are members of the Hegemonic Crux and suffer from the Xchagger virus.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 917 918 [919] 920 921 ... 1134