Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1456839 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #11010 on: April 17, 2015, 04:19:36 pm »

I won't play multiplayer anyway. The only thing that really worries me is the AI comments. I'm not really a long-time strategy gamer or a tactical genius, but sometimes I like to pretend. The last one I played was Warlock: Master of the Arcane where the AI was utterly clueless, literally only spammed the cheapest level 1 units in a flood of chaff, even on the highest difficulty. I guess, as long as the computer can put up a good fight, I'll probably be satisfied. I have a couple days to figure it out, I suppose.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #11011 on: April 17, 2015, 04:39:14 pm »

From my (albeit meager) experience with Endless Space, the AI seemed at least decent. And yeah, I like it personally too, pleasant to look at and interesting enough lore-wise AND I am one of THOSE people that actually like the card system combat... Never played it enough to experience the weapon balance problem though, so I can't say much here. I do remember hearing that the payable DLC, Disharmony (I'm guessing BurnedToast is talking about that one?) brought some serious changes to some core mechanics and people in general were quite divided about those... But you can disable Disharmony content anyways.

I'd say for 5€ or what have you, you can't really go wrong.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11012 on: April 17, 2015, 05:42:15 pm »

Hm... I'm usually more interested in story than gameplay in games like this, so if it's not super challenging, I actually like that. But I have heard mixed reviews on the ending (please don't spoil!). What I like is so often very different from what other people like, it's hard to guess if this'll be worth purchasing or not... Hmmmm..... Well, there's like 18 days to decide still, so I'll keep thinking it over.
If you enjoy LOTR lore and details then you'll like the story elements enough to enjoy the game. If you're not really into LOTR/Middle Earth then it might not interest you much.

I would actually argue the opposite, Shadow of Mordor is almost insulting in how much it takes liberties with the lore of Lord of The Rings; it's a better game for people who are casually acquainted with the series than those who are diehard fans. You could set the game in any other setting and it wouldn't be affected in the slightest.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11013 on: April 17, 2015, 08:34:30 pm »

I won't play multiplayer anyway. The only thing that really worries me is the AI comments. I'm not really a long-time strategy gamer or a tactical genius, but sometimes I like to pretend. The last one I played was Warlock: Master of the Arcane where the AI was utterly clueless, literally only spammed the cheapest level 1 units in a flood of chaff, even on the highest difficulty. I guess, as long as the computer can put up a good fight, I'll probably be satisfied. I have a couple days to figure it out, I suppose.
If you didn't like Warlock's AI you're probably not going to be terribly impressed by EL's either, I'm afraid. I haven't messed with various difficulty settings very much, but on default I didn't find them particularly good at this.

This actually goes double for tactical battles, since enemies have this awful habit of wailing on your meatwalls instead of trying to slip past and butcher your squishies.

I'd still recommend it; the AI does keep their units upgraded and so forth, and as far as I can tell doesn't suffer from the meat grinder issues of Warlock where they keep losing archers by putting them in swamps next to werewolves. It's just nothing to write home about, at least on the default difficulty setting.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11014 on: April 17, 2015, 09:04:16 pm »

... Age Of Wonders 3 seems to fit that description a lot more closely (and more on the HOMM side). More combat-focused. Also more difficult? At least on the tactical combat side.

Unfortunately its sale just stopped today...

It's still on sale over @ GOG for the next day and a half or so... The base game is -66% for vanilla or deluxe, -33% on the first expansion. New expansion is only three days old, so no discount there.  ~US$43.00 if you have none of the things and want all of the things, US$13.59 if you just want to start with the basic vanilla game.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11015 on: April 18, 2015, 05:47:27 am »

Endless Legend: one of the reviews says "Heroes of Might and Magic meets Civ."

I suppose if I'm ever going to get into a 4X, this is it. Anyone else have opinions?

Considering all the other 4X I've tried in the past few years, I'd put it at the top. It's on par with Civ4/Civ5 in production values - which a lot of the 4X lately have been severely lacking - as well as an overall smooth and consistent gameplay. There are a few things I don't like about its mechanics but they weren't as jarring (or broken/poorly implemented) compared to other examples in the genre lately (Warlock, Eador, Fallen Enchantress. I have AoWIII but haven't played it enough to really form an opinion on that one.)

If I might rant on a tangent for a moment, I would again like to single out what I feel is FE's biggest failure, which is the lack of truly randomized maps. While resources are randomized, the map layout is not. I hope whatever genius thought that would fly in this generation of games was fired.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11016 on: April 18, 2015, 10:36:32 am »

Dungeon of the Endless
Man, this is great! I can't stop playing (and I need to get to work!)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11017 on: April 19, 2015, 12:58:04 pm »

Fractured Space is free on steam until about the 20th
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11018 on: April 19, 2015, 01:01:07 pm »

Its reasonably fun for a spaceship fighting game in alpha. MP-only though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11019 on: April 19, 2015, 01:32:46 pm »

you're a bit late :P

Just noticed this one, up until the 20th Fractured Space is free to play and if you download it you get to keep it after, unlike most free weekends.

Anyway, I played a couple of rounds of Fractured Space over the weekend. It felt like a MOBA in space (which, incidentally, is how my friend sold it to me) in terms of the setup - 5 man teams, defend your base, gather resources while trying to destroy the enemy's base, win when you destroy their base. Resource gathering is done by capturing mining stations scattered in a couple of sectors, which is then used to upgrade all the ships on your team. Since everyone gets upgraded around the same time, this effectively means that if you lose a player, someone else can join in and get upgraded to the same level as everyone else. (if I'm not mistaken about this, that is)
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11020 on: April 19, 2015, 01:38:31 pm »

Considering upgrading consists of 'be close enough to a home base or large station', and you spawn near said home, I don't think it matters if someone shows up midway.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11021 on: April 19, 2015, 01:45:13 pm »

Surprisingly though, it's not obvious how to upgrade ships, considering wincon involves having upgraded ships take down a base.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11022 on: April 19, 2015, 02:02:37 pm »

Psychonauts is on sale on Steam. 45hr:57min left.
I played a little of it on PS2 and I'm snagging that shit at $1.49USD. It is usually 9.99.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11023 on: April 19, 2015, 02:16:21 pm »

Oh definitely, Psychonauts is a classic.  The gameplay isn't perfect (though fine for a PS2 game) but the levels and style are really unique.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFTU3FMe_ro&feature=player_detailpage#t=65
Not a particularly good LP, just the first one I found to show the weird style.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 02:23:40 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11024 on: April 21, 2015, 05:37:40 pm »

Don't Starve! is up for 66% of at Steam, Midweek Madness. This puts it at $5.06 US-land Fundollars, which... is probably worth it if you've got cash burning a hole in the wallet.

My only complaints with it were:
It's only really worth a single playthrough, and you can see everything then, more or less. New "levels" in the campaign just let you jump-start a base, doing the same thing you just finished doing.

And, as time goes on your busywork actually increases while your exploration potential decreases. Late-game you're attacked so often by enemy packs that the only efficient solution is a trap hallway, which you spend a day resetting after each attack... which happens every 3 days. day for traps, day for food, and a day to explore if you think you can make it back in time for the next attack. That was a long game, though, so YMMV.

Otherwise the art and music and basic gameplay was pretty neat.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 1134