Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 732 733 [734] 735 736 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1456862 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #10995 on: April 16, 2015, 02:21:29 pm »

I like LOTR. Read all the books several times when I was younger. I've never been much into fighting/action games in general, though I do enjoy Skyrim (set on one of the easier difficulties). Basically, if I can cut through everything without dying often (keeping in mind that I really kind of suck at this type of game), I might have fun. If it makes me feel like a badass.

I seem to recall hearing something about this game offering genuine moral choices in an innovative way, which is something I am interested in seeing. Can't remember where I heard that, though. Maybe I should wait a few years until it gets cheaper... My backlog is terrifying to behold already.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10996 on: April 16, 2015, 02:29:48 pm »

I like LOTR. Read all the books several times when I was younger. I've never been much into fighting/action games in general, though I do enjoy Skyrim (set on one of the easier difficulties). Basically, if I can cut through everything without dying often (keeping in mind that I really kind of suck at this type of game), I might have fun. If it makes me feel like a badass.

When you do die, it's usually a slap on the wrist. Some orcs end up with really powerful combination of traits (e.g. immunity to easy takedowns, a fast ranged weapon, and poison) that can make them hard to beat, but I think in principle they can mostly be avoided until you've leveled up enough to change things up. The skills and combo system definitely leave you feeling pretty badass once you've leveled up, and you can often beat groups of enemies without charging in and taking them out one-by-one.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10997 on: April 16, 2015, 03:08:04 pm »

Just noticed this one, up until the 20th Fractured Space is free to play and if you download it you get to keep it after, unlike most free weekends.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10998 on: April 16, 2015, 04:49:54 pm »

Just noticed this one, up until the 20th Fractured Space is free to play and if you download it you get to keep it after, unlike most free weekends.
Also on free weekend (but not with the awesome keep it if you play it feature) are the Endless games (Endless Space, Endless Legend and Dungeon of the Endless). Endless Legend and Dungeon of the Endless are 50% off, while Endless Space is 80% off. I found Endless Space to be a bit bland, if solid, game. The other two are spectacular, though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TheMastermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10999 on: April 16, 2015, 06:04:02 pm »

There is a new Humble Bundle
https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

It's worth noticing that Endless Space (Emperor edition) which is on the 12$ tier can be bought at about 7$ on steam this weekend.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 06:07:36 pm by TheMastermind »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11000 on: April 16, 2015, 08:22:28 pm »

Also on free weekend (but not with the awesome keep it if you play it feature) are the Endless games (Endless Space, Endless Legend and Dungeon of the Endless). Endless Legend and Dungeon of the Endless are 50% off, while Endless Space is 80% off. I found Endless Space to be a bit bland, if solid, game. The other two are spectacular, though.
... incidentally, the EL soundtrack is pretty nice, and bundled up as .mp3s right in the main game directory. I'm not saying it would be a good idea to get in on the free weekend and just copy the audio material elsewhere, but...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11001 on: April 17, 2015, 12:38:41 pm »

Downloaded the free weekend for Endless Legend.
Played a full game with the cultists.
Bought the game.

It is honestly one of the best 4X games I have ever played.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11002 on: April 17, 2015, 02:14:54 pm »

Endless Legend: one of the reviews says "Heroes of Might and Magic meets Civ."

I suppose if I'm ever going to get into a 4X, this is it. Anyone else have opinions?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11003 on: April 17, 2015, 02:18:18 pm »

It's kinda fun I guess?

Nothing particularly spectacular.

It's fairly simple and there's no huge amount of depth. The mission system is also just basically fetch quests (not to mention when I played, there were a lot of bugs. Not sure if it's been fixed). The game looks great but it's how these Amplitude Studios games go, pretty looking but that's basically about it. The AI is braindead, the unit variety is pretty shallow. The diplomacy is nonexistant. The game gets really samey and repetitive after awhile, again because of the lack of depth.

It's fun for awhile. Not sure I'd buy it at that price but your criteria may vary. It's just how it is with that studio, they prioritize pretty and first impressions over substance. After about one or two hours, you will see many flaws.

If you've ever played Endless Space, it's basically that in Civ 5 form. Except the combat isn't simply playing cards now so there's that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11004 on: April 17, 2015, 02:36:49 pm »

I'll reiterate that, all other things aside, it has a pretty darn high quality soundtrack. Quite nice production values for a computer game. Part of the pretty umi's talkin' 'bout. Not worth a buy for that alone, but...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #11005 on: April 17, 2015, 02:37:44 pm »

GOG's Bundle Tower sale is on it's last two days. Pretty big pile of games bundled in genre/topic bundles. Most of the bundles are full of titles I already own, so I didn't buy any, but I can vouch that they're full of quality titles.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11006 on: April 17, 2015, 02:44:14 pm »

Endless Legend gets a recommendation from me, despite it not being fit for the purpose I originally had in mind.

My wife and I sometimes play local hotseat Civ and I was wanting a change of pace. I'm not upset with my purchase of EL, but I am slightly saddened that no local hotseat exists. I can understand why, however, given the battle system.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11007 on: April 17, 2015, 03:36:51 pm »

Endless Legend: one of the reviews says "Heroes of Might and Magic meets Civ."

I suppose if I'm ever going to get into a 4X, this is it. Anyone else have opinions?

I like Endless Legend a great deal!

However – and I've only just bought it and started getting into it, so I'm not familiar enough with it to make a real recommendation – Age Of Wonders 3 seems to fit that description a lot more closely (and more on the HOMM side). More combat-focused. Also more difficult? At least on the tactical combat side.

Unfortunately its sale just stopped today...

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11008 on: April 17, 2015, 03:50:03 pm »

There is a new Humble Bundle
https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

It's worth noticing that Endless Space (Emperor edition) which is on the 12$ tier can be bought at about 7$ on steam this weekend.

If anyone is curious about endless space, it's a pretty ok 4x with some interesting changes from the "standard" 4x formula (for example, terraforming is not a linear progression from bad -> good -> best)

Unfortunately with the expansion, it's kind of ruined by the almost unbelievably poorly balanced weapons. There are only 3 weapon types (with 3 range settings each) and somehow, despite that, they completely failed to balance it to a truly embarrassing degree. It's really hard to express just how incredibly broken it is, and I can't think of any reason they haven't even tried to fix it since it's blatantly obvious how broken it is to anyone who can do basic math (or tries all 3 weapons at least once)

Really kind of ruins the fun, which is too bad because the rest of the game is not perfect, but it's interesting and enjoyable enough.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11009 on: April 17, 2015, 04:13:48 pm »

Its also worth mentioning that the multiplayer desyncs like crazy and they never bothered to fix it.  (I kinda boycott their games because of that...)   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 732 733 [734] 735 736 ... 1134