Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454651 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #9945 on: November 23, 2014, 10:21:49 pm »

UFO Afterlight is currently on sale for 90% off on Steam, at $0.69 USD. Easily worth it if you want more X-Com like games, despite the sharply limited number of soldiers.

Afterlight is the third in a trilogy of spiritual X-Com spinoffs by Cenega, focusing on terraforming Mars and taking territories from different alien factions. It features scientists/engineers that level up, space suits getting holes shot in them, and drones with quad rocket launchers to make up for the limited soldiers.
Eh, I don't need those extra two weapon slots on warframe yet.  I'll go ahead and pick this up. A picture on the steam page has several guys in space suits holding giant miniguns.
For 70 cents I really can't say no to something vaguely XCOM-like.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread - SUMMER SALE, PRAISE BE TO GABEN
« Reply #9946 on: November 23, 2014, 10:29:04 pm »

I quite liked the After-X series, on the whole.  It's realtime though, not pure XCOM.  Here's a summary I wrote a while ago:

Anyone know if the UFO series is any good?
UFO: Aftershock
UFO: Aftermath
UFO: Afterlight
UFO: Extraterrestrials Gold
What's the difference??

Also, how do they compare to that XCOM game I mentioned?

I quite liked the Aftershock series.  They're real-time with copious pausing, and once you adjust the auto-pausing it's pretty smooth.  The setting is darker than most XCOM remakes - something like 99% of humanity is wiped out in a bioweapon attack before the game even starts.  All the games are pretty good, but Afterlight is probably the best to start with as it's somewhat easier, and has the most streamlined UI.  Also it takes place on Mars.

Aftermath: Take back the planet with like a hundred slightly different real world weapons.
In Aftermath you retake the earth sector by sector.  Missions aren't all "kill all enemies": Initial missions are usually "Spot 8 enemies and escape" or "Capture a specimen from this sector" to evaluate the biomorph threat.  Easy missions can be safely delegated to other survivors, greatly reducing potential tedium.  Reticulans are mysteriously passive: they harass, and guard certain government installations you need to raid, but don't actually attack much.  The reason is eventually revealed, as a deadly new threat is deployed once you've recovered about 50% of the planet.
I played this one the most, good replayability.

Aftershock:  Lots more features, factions.  Slight story spoilers, but mainly just longwinded:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Afterlight: Takes place at the same time as Aftershock, but is the story of the humans exiled to Mars.  Squad members fight in space suits, which can be ruptured by enemy attacks (steady health drain until repaired).  Your mission is to terraform the planet, a slow process which visibly changes the overmap and battlegrounds as it progresses.  Watching an ocean on the overmap grow over an enemy facility was great.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Oh right, you're very short staffed because most of the colonists are in cryosleep until you finish terraforming (limited water, air, food...)  This means that instead of having dedicated soldiers, scientists, and engineers, most of your personnel will have two possible roles.  Sending a techie to fix the aquaduct or repair a facility grants them a lot of bonus XP, plus they have special tech-only combat abilities.  Mostly repairing suits/mechs, and laying explosives.  Scientists can be frailer but their anatomy skills let them specialize in doing massive damage to certain alien types.  And the main benefit is that these field-hardened techs and scientists will build and research much faster back at base.

So I'd definitely pick up Afterlight.  But to answer your question, no, they aren't much like original XCOM or the new XCOM.  I like the new XCOM's small squads and huge emphasis on cover mechanics and abilities, but they make it a lot different from any other XCOM-like game.

UFO: Extraterrestrials is what Xenonauts should have been.  It's XCOM but with a minimap, weapon progression beyond bullets-lasers-heavy plasma, and they've included a fan-mod which allows a lot of gameplay tweaking.  Don't let the new planet and lack of license fool you, it's the most faithful commercial remake of the original XCOM.  It also takes an exceptionally long time to win due to the added padding of the tech tree.  Definitely a game to play over weeks, not try to finish in a weekend.

Fun thing the fan-mod allows: increasing vision distance to include most of the map, eliminating the weird but classic XCOM tactic of having a rookie spot targets for a line of elite snipers.  Really helps the pace of combat in my opinion.

Revenge mode: Set the alien vision range to 2 tiles less than the human range.  (normally it's the other way around, because supposedly it's fun to get shot from offscreen, by invisible aliens "hiding" out in the open).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9947 on: November 24, 2014, 01:50:13 am »

UFO Afterlight is currently on sale for 90% off on Steam, at $0.69 USD. Easily worth it if you want more X-Com like games, despite the sharply limited number of soldiers.

Afterlight is the third in a trilogy of spiritual X-Com spinoffs by Cenega, focusing on terraforming Mars and taking territories from different alien factions. It features scientists/engineers that level up, space suits getting holes shot in them, and drones with quad rocket launchers to make up for the limited soldiers.
Eh, I don't need those extra two weapon slots on warframe yet.  I'll go ahead and pick this up. A picture on the steam page has several guys in space suits holding giant miniguns.
For 70 cents I really can't say no to something vaguely XCOM-like.
Haha oops. Think I figured out why it's $0.69: It crashes immediately for some people on a vague Intel graphics issue for which there is no official solution.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9948 on: November 24, 2014, 01:58:56 am »

Lots of software does not play nice with Intel graphics so that's no good reason for the price point.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9949 on: November 24, 2014, 04:20:03 pm »

I liked afterlight a lot - the only real problem I had with it was you've got a *very* limited amount of soldiers and you only get a very small amount more at certain predetermined spots in the story. You can build robot vehicles to send with your troops on missions so it's not like you can literally run out of troops... but the vehicles are rather weak and take a LONG time to build so it's not practical to rely on them heavily.

So it's really hard to ironman it, I hate to reload just because a soldier dies but if you don't, halfway through the campaign you will realize you're completely screwed and have to start over and that sucks because it's a long game.

I've played through the campaign twice, and steam says that took me 105 hours - $0.70 is an absolute steal for that IMO, despite the flaws in the game.

Edit: As for the other games, aftershock is ok, have not played it in a long time but I remember it being fun. Aftermath is pretty good, though it starts to get tedious near the end. Both are worth playing IMO.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 04:27:05 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9950 on: November 24, 2014, 07:22:36 pm »

Thanks for suggestions. :) Friday was payday so uh, as long as I'm hurting my wallet anyway:

• One of the Rollercoaster Tycoon games?

Yes. RCT is the best series at doing the thing that it does.
If you're getting a Rollercoaster Tycoon game, I'd recommend number 2 as being the best.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9951 on: November 24, 2014, 08:57:03 pm »

^ Agreed.

2 is basically a super huge expansion of 1. The only thing I don't like about 2 is that it doesn't have an actual sandbox map unlike 1.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9952 on: November 26, 2014, 12:07:20 pm »

Rumor is that we get a big Steam Sale starting today.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #9953 on: November 26, 2014, 12:25:52 pm »

Rumor is that we get a big Steam Sale starting today.  :)

Really? Is the Xmas sale starting so soon?

What time is that likely to happen? Because I'm getting all excited just thinking about it...

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9954 on: November 26, 2014, 12:26:41 pm »

Probably in about half an hour, that is when those things usually start (plus some minutes for steam's servers coughing up blood).  I don't think its the X-mas sale though.  Something to do with Black Friday or something?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9955 on: November 26, 2014, 12:32:03 pm »

Valve is trying to get ahead of the Black Friday sales that are now, for some stores, starting on Thursday morning, by starting Wednesday afternoon? @_@
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #9956 on: November 26, 2014, 01:07:32 pm »

Well, that's a lot of titles on sale. Excuse me while I go add to my endless library...

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9957 on: November 26, 2014, 01:08:55 pm »

Drat, for some reason my wishlist isn't showing the updated prices.  I'd hate to look through one by one...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9958 on: November 26, 2014, 01:16:03 pm »

It might be that none of your wishlist items are on sale. I only have a couple showing discounts.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9959 on: November 26, 2014, 01:21:12 pm »

This is amusing.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 1134