Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1453173 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #8055 on: May 06, 2014, 08:25:34 pm »

Its like those sims that let you do similar things, but less obtuse (somewhat), and looks like a game, not a detailed spaceship sim with all focus on the sim instead of the interface.

Someone will probably come in and describe it better than me.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8056 on: May 06, 2014, 08:29:37 pm »

What is making it so absurdly popular?
The humor.

I had, for instance, a particular incident where I was trying to launch a rocket, and it managed to careen into the tower before getting clear. Wondering if that was a result of poor steering or an inevitable consequence of the rocket's design, I tried it again. And again. And again.

So for me, the image of the shuttle smashing itself into the flight tower over and over and over again was absolutely hilarious and a supremely enjoyable experience. If for whatever reason that's just not amusing to you, and especially if it's frustrating or otherwise a bad thing, then yeah, KSP might not be your cup of tea. But if you can derive enjoyment from everything going completely wrong in ridiculous ways, then it might be worth your while.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8057 on: May 06, 2014, 08:36:47 pm »

Someone is probably going to stab me (or at least get upset at me) for saying this, but why all the hype about Kerbal? I checked out the game, and thought to myself, "Build spaceships, try to get to space, fail over and over... this does not look fun. At all."

It's an "easy to learn, hard to master" thing. The nature of the game is such that there is always something you can do reliably, and always something that's just out of your reach. For example, right now I can consistently land and return a mission to the moon, but I'm still working out how to get a ship to another planet. In addition to that, it's a very satisfyingly mental game. When you reach a goal, it's because of the thought you put into your design, your orbits, maybe some tricky flying to land on a hill, etc. Your designs are either tried-and-true or totally experimental, but either way they're things that you made, so when everything works out it feels like a real accomplishment. There is always room for improvement and experimentation, which is a rare quality in a game. Failures give you ideas about what to do differently rather than just making you repeat things. In short, the game is about teaching yourself how to manipulate a system which is comprehensible but still complex enough that you'll never have complete control over it.

Of course, it's not everyone's cup of tea. Personally, I love that KSP exists and I've had a lot of fun with it, but I don't find myself playing it very often. The level of investment involved can be unappetizing when you're trying to relax or don't have very much time.

Also, hey, what about that 40% off Spacebase DF-9, huh? Is that game any good? I haven't really heard much.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8058 on: May 06, 2014, 09:17:44 pm »

Someone is probably going to stab me (or at least get upset at me) for saying this, but why all the hype about Kerbal? I checked out the game, and thought to myself, "Build spaceships, try to get to space, fail over and over... this does not look fun. At all."

When you fail there is a reason why and it's your fault. You must overcome or quit. Finding what you did wrong is an accomplishment. Your reward is the next hurdle and knowing a bit more about aerodynamics, trajectories, orbits, and such (even if those things are partly Kerbin-centric).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8059 on: May 06, 2014, 09:20:08 pm »

When you fail there is a reason why and it's your fault. You must overcome or quit. Finding what you did wrong is an accomplishment. Your reward is the next hurdle and knowing a bit more about aerodynamics, trajectories, orbits, and such (even if those things are partly Kerbin-centric).

Basically it is just the difficulty curve.

It didn't really interest me because while I appreciate difficulty, I generally don't appreciate difficulty for difficulty sake.

But trust me you will get the hang of it, it might take a while (or a few guides... which is what some people do), you just have to stick with it.

Note: People SAY that Kerbal just hasn't added the "game" portion to the game yet... but honestly I think the game probably won't develop proper gameplay.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 09:32:59 pm by Neonivek »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8060 on: May 06, 2014, 09:22:53 pm »

Spacebase DF9 is on sale for $15. Or you could buy the version with the soundtrack for $12. I don't get it, but more content for less money is a good deal.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8061 on: May 06, 2014, 09:49:44 pm »

Thanks for the replies concerning Kerbal. I think I might be able to see its appeal now, what with the many hilarious ways to fail. Glad nobody turned green and started trying to beat my head in for questioning it. :P

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8062 on: May 06, 2014, 10:27:17 pm »

Nice, I'm going to pick up Spacebase based on nerd^3's review of it a few months ago.  Interesting that the soundtrack edition got a larger discount than the base, and thus is *cheaper* at 12 vs 15 dollars.  Oh, Steam :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8063 on: May 06, 2014, 10:35:04 pm »

Soundtrack version was $17 when i checked it an hour ago.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8064 on: May 06, 2014, 11:44:59 pm »

That's weird, it showed up the same for me when I checked the page in a browser without logging in.  Now that I'm logged in, it's 60% off instead of 40% off again, making it $11.99.

Aaand... it only charged me $11.99.  Weird, though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8065 on: May 07, 2014, 03:14:18 am »

Whoah. Steam just gave me a coupon for a game that actually looks like fun-- and which would probably run on my laptop. :o
It's called Speedrunners, a platformer/racing game kinda deal.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8066 on: May 07, 2014, 10:17:55 am »

For the next two days indie gala store is running a deal for the Tropico 4 collectors bundle for $5.99 to be unlocked on steam. Useful even if like me you already have the base game, to pick up all the dlc for a reasonable price.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8067 on: May 07, 2014, 10:47:12 am »

For the next two days indie gala store is running a deal for the Tropico 4 collectors bundle for $5.99 to be unlocked on steam. Useful even if like me you already have the base game, to pick up all the dlc for a reasonable price.

Most Tropico DLC mind you are split into Cheat Items (Items better then ingame stuff... I don't exactly call it Pay to Win though) and costumes you usually won't use.

It does include the modern day DLC though, and frankly that is interesting (Though as I said, you break the game in two if you play modern in a sandbox mode)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8068 on: May 07, 2014, 10:59:05 am »

So i assume you all noticed that Steam has not posted a spring sale, fare not though cause Humble Store was kind enough to start their own sales too https://www.humblebundle.com/store I don't like posting other websites but usually Humble games are redeemable on steam anyways.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8069 on: May 07, 2014, 11:04:14 am »

So i assume you all noticed that Steam has not posted a spring sale, fare not though cause Humble Store was kind enough to start their own sales too https://www.humblebundle.com/store I don't like posting other websites but usually Humble games are redeemable on steam anyways.
The entire Walking Dead series by Telltale Games is heavily discounted. Holyshitgetit
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 1134