Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1459981 times)

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #1275 on: November 10, 2011, 01:19:31 pm »

So many sales have been going through steam, meaning less cost for making disks and no second hand market. Yet they don't drop the average price of games. Discuss  :)
People will still pay the same price, leading to more profit for Valve. It's not hard to figure out.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: November 10, 2011, 01:20:19 pm »

So many sales have been going through steam, meaning less cost for making disks and no second hand market. Yet they don't drop the average price of games. Discuss  :)
E-books. Same deal. Though, there are some other costs associated with them that I'm not sure about with games via Steam.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #1277 on: November 10, 2011, 01:38:28 pm »

I'd gladly pay the same price for something more convenient, especially with all the sales that Valve throws out there.

If prices were to go down across the board, though? I'd be all for that, too.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: November 10, 2011, 01:39:11 pm »

Well they do have huge sales. I agree that games should be a permanent 20ish% off from the boxed version, however.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: November 10, 2011, 01:41:57 pm »

People get really defensive about purchases/choices they've made.

So true.
Now now... no need for that. I bought a PS3, but I play the living snot out of it.  It was well worth my purchase and that's not being defensive.  It would have been nice with cross game chat, but it's not a feature I can say I missed since most of my gaming was couch co-op.

Well they do have huge sales. I agree that games should be a permanent 20ish% off from the boxed version, however.
I pretty much only buy sale items.  I view the price like an early buyer tax.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1281 on: November 10, 2011, 02:58:15 pm »

I can't imagine that the bits of plastic and paper used for the box and CD are 20% of the price. In fact I'm pretty sure they're like 50 cents or less.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: November 10, 2011, 03:02:05 pm »

I can't imagine that the bits of plastic and paper used for the box and CD are 20% of the price. In fact I'm pretty sure they're like 50 cents or less.

Distribution costs. Shipping. Storage costs (you have to pay for the space they take, after all). Less automated (got to pay those employees that take your cash, bag your product, etc, in a game store). The actual printing of the manuals/disc covers. The cost of burning the discs themselves.

The reason electronic media is usually more expensive although it costs a fraction, is basically protectionism: gotta keep those brick & mortar stores in business, right?

EDIT: Forgot to add, they also can't just burn those discs on demand, they need volume (hundreds and thousands of packaged discs). So it's basically a lot of stock sitting there for months until someone buys it. Not good.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:05:30 pm by Sergius »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1283 on: November 10, 2011, 03:02:54 pm »

Distribution costs. Shipping. Storage costs (you have to pay for the space they take, after all). Less automated (got to pay those employees that take your cash, bag your product, etc, in a game store). The actual printing of the manuals/disc covers. The cost of burning the discs themselves.

The reason electronic media is usually more expensive although it costs a fraction, is basically protectionism: gotta keep those brick & mortar stores in business, right?
I still won't believe that cutting out the physical box and distribution/transport would drop the price by 20% unless someone links some facts.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: November 10, 2011, 03:07:59 pm »

I still won't believe that cutting out the physical box and distribution/transport would drop the price by 20% unless someone links some facts.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1285 on: November 10, 2011, 03:09:10 pm »

So distribution of the physical product is what, 6% of the total?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: November 10, 2011, 03:10:28 pm »

Unless the publisher gets to keep the retailer margin, no.

EDIT: Ok, I see in that chart there are no costs associated with the cost of running the shop itself.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:22:08 pm by Sergius »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1287 on: November 10, 2011, 03:11:44 pm »

Unless the publisher gets to keep the retailer margin, no.
What? The retailer margin should be going to Steam I'd assume.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: November 10, 2011, 03:17:15 pm »

I'm guessing you've never been to the GFAQs PS3 board.

As I've said before regarding that board, when I brought up that I wasn't sure if I should keep my PS3 or trade it in for a 360 because most of my friends had the latter, I was told to "go circle jerk with my microsoft xbot fanboys". I was further told that I deserved it, for bringing up Sony's competition in front of its fans.

This kind of logic is beyond me. I mean, I like me some Coca Cola, but I don't go into a rage whenever someone considers drinking Pepsi in front of me.

I still have my PS3, and I enjoy it although I don't play it much, but that board is full of the most obsessive and aggressive/defensive fanboys I've ever seen.

I don't like to hate monger, but if there was ever a community that made me lose what little my faith and respect in humanity I have.. It'd be that one.

And this is pretty off topic, but I wanted to clarify what I meant.

Lurk those boards for a bit and I'm certain you'll come to dislike what you see. They aren't gamers, they're Playstation 3 Enthusiasts.
That's incredibly dumb. Why wouldn't they bring up legitimate arguments like, "It's only a video game console, but your meager asking of a simple question sends me into a fit of rage so powerful that I have no choice BUT to murder your entire family for its mere utterance."

Actually, you could consider the retailer as part of that, since they're counting that as storage as well. Plus, Steam wouldn't need platform royalties.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: November 10, 2011, 03:18:26 pm »

Don't forget secondary sales. That could be anywhere from 10% of sales to 50%.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 1134