Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1459459 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #795 on: July 11, 2011, 05:07:16 pm »

Also the terrain is a texture on the ground that gives a defense bonus. Unrelated to what I was talking about.

You said that the terrain was only there for "borders and looks", and I pointed out that no, it does in fact have gameplay mechanics attached to it.   It's exactly what you're talking it about, but since you're set on hating the game and citing problems that other people don't have as the norm, or are demonstrably false, there's no point arguing further.   Have fun!

Your right I did say terrain, but just because you used the same word doesn't mean it had the same meaning, I guess it's my fault for responding to it like that. All it is is a texture which gives a defense bonus. Every other RTS I have played has blocked bullets from going through walls, and when they use defense bonuses it's not some random spot on the map activated by texture, it's by being up against chest high walls, or with games with actual physics, by being higher which naturally defends you because bullets can't pass through part of the terrain.

These are only norm for people who play DoW a lot. It seems like a lackluster job to me.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: July 11, 2011, 05:11:51 pm »

There is LOS blocking in DoW. It's just not done by terrain. Time again and again, Relic said that forcing the terrain to do LOS calculations was too intensive. But, object walls and such last I checked do block LOS, and therefore shooting. It's just not a true simulation. But what RTS is. None of them give you the kind of hit detection and LOS calculations you get from a FPS.

I'm really sad no one ever made a DoW mod for Company of Heroes, because the engine added all the stuff that DoW needed to really dial it up to an 11, in CoH. Sadly, I don't think it ever got done.

That said, DoW was still great and I enjoy it far more than its successor.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: July 12, 2011, 01:01:55 am »

Went to work, Terraria was $2.49. Came home, Terraria was $4.99.

FFFFUUUUUUU--
The Terraria devs came out to explain their take on it.

On a seperate note, I wanted to just make an apology about my not being around for the ‘situation’ with pricing on Steam this weekend. I was at Connecticon from Friday to Sunday. As for the issue itself, we did not intend the sale price to be 75% off at any time, so when the situation was noticed, it was corrected. Hence why it so quickly changed to 50% and caused so many so much grief. We’ve received many angry emails for people blaming us personally, and calling us greedy, but that is simply not the case here.
Poor Tiy has been dealing with it all weekend by his lonesome, and I give the guy credit for how well he’s handled the situation. When it comes to issues with pricing, purchasing and downloading, contacting Steam support would make more sense than contacting us. We do not handle distribution. It would be like blaming a food-product maker for a mistake a grocery store made in pricing. They just made the product, and besides telling the store what price they should use, they don’t control how it’s implemented by the sticker gun in the random stock persons hand.
We don’t feel Steam should get a bad rap for it either, as all it takes is a simple slip in human error to have a bad situation arise. And no one can be said to lead a mistake-less life. We appreciate our friends over at Valve and could not have brought the game to the world so readily without their help. So if you enjoy the game, and yet this situation has ‘upset you’. I would just have to say, please take it in stride and don’t let it put a sour taste in your mouth toward Re-Logic, or Steam. We’ve taken it in stride ourselves and to make it up to all of you will continue to do what we have been doing. Working towards bringing you an ever-increasingly enjoyable game to play.
http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/my-impressions-on-1-0-6.41725/

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #798 on: July 12, 2011, 08:05:37 am »

I actually thought about sanctum some more and realized that the humans that you play are the bad guys. The monsters never hurt you, just seek the core and throw themselves in. While you shoot the crap out of them on their home planet.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: July 12, 2011, 01:39:57 pm »

Hey, the sale's over and I still have some money left.  That's a first.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: July 12, 2011, 04:27:50 pm »

Let's conclude the steam summer sales with what we bought.

AI War
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Atom Zombie Smasher (for steamgifts.com)
BIT.TRIP RUNNER
Time Gentlemen, Please!
Defense Grid
Dungeons
Europa Universalis 3
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Portal 2
Super Meat Boy
Alien Breed 2 (won)
Terraria*
The Path*
Faerie Solitare*
2x, Penny Arcade, Precipice of Darkness(another for steamgifts)

Haven't been disappointed with any of the one's I've played yet. Mostly because I knew what I'd like and what I wouldn't.
Dungeons is a bit iffy but that could be because I didn't donate much time learning the mechanics.
Defense Grid is a bit boring for me but thats mostly becuase I never got into Tower Defense that much, still fairly decent though.

The outstanding games of this sale would have to be Time Gentle, Please! and Super Meat Boy. I'm sure Portal 2 will be fairly decent too since I've already played a bit of it at a friend's place.

* Gifted to my mother.  :-[

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #801 on: July 12, 2011, 04:41:08 pm »

AI War: Fleet Command
Alien Breed 2: Assault (freebie)
ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead
Borderlands
Company of Heroes
Half-Life: Blue Shift
Half-Life: Opposing Force
Magicka
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within

Been waiting for Arma 2 OA to go on sale for a while, it was worth the wait.  Magicka was also a lot of fun for pretty cheap, too.  I still haven't booted up AI War: FC although I hear it's an excellent game.

KG

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 12, 2011, 04:47:16 pm »

Alien Breed 2 (tickets cashed)
Audiosurf
Bioshock 2
Defense Grid (it's pretty decent for TD)
Half-Life pack
Magicka complete (hilariously violent, great deal for $8)
Sanctum (wtfHard...)
Solar 2

Of all those, Magicka was the biggest pleasant surprise. Lots of folks said it's been really buggy, but I haven't run into any show-stoppers. I'm sure multi-player would be fantastic.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 12, 2011, 04:50:42 pm »

You shoulda been there for release....buggy barely even begins to describe the game then.

We still have some people who randomly crash/lock with Magicka. Fun, when you don't have problems.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 12, 2011, 04:54:39 pm »

Of all those, Magicka was the biggest pleasant surprise. Lots of folks said it's been really buggy, but I haven't run into any show-stoppers. I'm sure multi-player would be fantastic.

you wanna play? I just got the game too....
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the Plant Reed Fibre Thread Technology!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: July 12, 2011, 05:06:25 pm »

You shoulda been there for release....buggy barely even begins to describe the game then.

We still have some people who randomly crash/lock with Magicka. Fun, when you don't have problems.

I'm really hesitant to buy brand new games for that reason. After watching the train wreck that was Fallout 3, I didn't buy New Vegas for several months, til I could see the patch reports. Much as it pains me to admit, I do like some console ports (Mass Effect comes to mind) because they actually release bug free.

Jeez, ninja'd!

you wanna play? I just got the game too....

Seems like that's a plan. Anyone else is welcome to add me, if they are so inclined.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #806 on: July 12, 2011, 05:08:29 pm »

I was spendy this time:

Shogun 2
Napoleon (plus all the DLC I didn't have for Empire, as part of the package deal)
Civilization V
Civilization IV Complete
Prince of Persia
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Sanctum
Risen
Men of War: Assault Squad
Hitman: Blood Money
Arkham Asylum
Company of Heroes (+Opposing Fronts, Tales of Valor)
F1 2010

So yeah. Basically I'm good until next sale next summer two summers from now never going to finish all of these. :(

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: July 12, 2011, 05:18:36 pm »

God I love Blood Money. I've must of played it through on all settings atleast 3 times.
I love how satisfying both stealth and violet massacures can be.

Magicka I've got but haven't really played it too much. Haven't gotten used to the strange controls and the game is pretty much co-op only. I find it pretty hard to get friends together for co-op games and then even harder to get them all on the same working server.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: July 12, 2011, 05:32:29 pm »

AI War: Fleet command, with all the DLCs, $4.5
Audiosuft, $1.5

Crazy exchange rates sucks, but I'm happy

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #809 on: July 12, 2011, 05:52:28 pm »

Most of the bugs I ran into consisted of one player not being able to see drops, which was annoying if you died.  A few crashes here and there at the beginnings of levels.

And multiplayer is stupidly fun...I don't think even Worms makes it that much fun to kill your friends/siblings/parents.  BTW, Ice-Ice-Lightning-Arcane-Shield as a weapon enchant is OP.

KG
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 1134