Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1456865 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #10590 on: January 22, 2015, 09:35:13 am »

Funny thing is, Talisman was never a CCG.  It was a complete game that stood on its own.  There were expansions, but they added to the entire game rather than advantaging one player.

Like buying a monopoly game and then an expansion that adds an extra railroad line and some more properties or something.  No random packs, just one player buys the thing once and all players benefit.

You can guess why they don't make many games like that any longer.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10591 on: January 22, 2015, 10:15:50 am »

Talisman was ok once. It's basically fantasy monopoly - It's all dependant on luck, runs way too long, and makes you want to kill everyone you're playing with by the end.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10593 on: January 22, 2015, 11:54:37 am »

Funny thing is, Talisman was never a CCG.  It was a complete game that stood on its own.  There were expansions, but they added to the entire game rather than advantaging one player.

Like buying a monopoly game and then an expansion that adds an extra railroad line and some more properties or something.  No random packs, just one player buys the thing once and all players benefit.

You can guess why they don't make many games like that any longer.
But... They do make a lot of games like that still? The whole genre of deckbuilding card games is based around set expansion packs, and three of the seven games in the bundle use exclusively that model. (Dominion, Star Realms, and Talisman)
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10594 on: January 22, 2015, 12:05:52 pm »

Talisman is not a deckbuilding game, though. It's a board game. The expansions were just expansions to the game. It's true, I was a bit puzzled to see it in a card game bundle, but I wasn't complaining. I always enjoyed playing it. It does take a long time, but I never saw that as a bad thing. I'm looking forward to having time to try out the digital version. It's installed and waiting for me...

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10595 on: January 22, 2015, 12:35:46 pm »

Deck builders tend to be more like CCGs.  The original Talisman was not a deck builder, I don't think this one is either but maybe it is going that way?

Dominions you are right - there is no blind randomization of card packs, and purchasing isn't competative.  But it is a compulsive shopping for deck after deck kind of game. 

not like Settlers for example, or other types of buy-it-once kinds of games.  Yes, you could just buy basic Dominions... but there are basically a billion add ons for it and there is some compulsion to keep collecting them if you enjoy the game.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10596 on: January 22, 2015, 01:03:14 pm »

Deck builders tend to be more like CCGs.  The original Talisman was not a deck builder, I don't think this one is either but maybe it is going that way?

Dominions you are right - there is no blind randomization of card packs, and purchasing isn't competative.  But it is a compulsive shopping for deck after deck kind of game. 

not like Settlers for example, or other types of buy-it-once kinds of games.  Yes, you could just buy basic Dominions... but there are basically a billion add ons for it and there is some compulsion to keep collecting them if you enjoy the game.

While this isn't really the thread for this sort of discussion, I'd like to add that I actually really like the setup that these game have. You don't buy new decks and card packs to be competitive so much as to expand the game for you and your friends. It's the difference between P2W and expansion packs of old. (A lot of my favorite board games have expansions that make the game deeper and allow for a higher level of mastery, which I feel should be the goal of any sort of paid-for expansion.)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10597 on: January 22, 2015, 01:14:07 pm »

On the topic of Sales, Bundle of Holding has one day left on a Torg package.  Really great and unique science-fantasy tabletop RPG from the 90s. 

Did not get the popularity it deserved, and is a goldmine for ideas and even for unique game mechanics.

http://bundleofholding.com/index/current/name/Torg

edit:  let me just add that you want to play a game that has a Cyber Papacy.  No, you NEED to play a game that has a Cyber Papacy.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 01:38:18 pm by puke »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10598 on: January 22, 2015, 01:30:37 pm »

Expansion packs are not uncommon in modern board/card games. They were quite common in war games of yore, usually as a sheet of chits in a magazine.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10599 on: January 22, 2015, 07:30:21 pm »

So, I just noticed that card bundle thing and with just 11 hours left I need to decide tonight.
I don't usually like multiplayer games though and I don't have a reliable internet connection anyway. Looking online, it seems that a lot of the games do have singleplayer modes, but it's not so clear if they're actually fun to play single-player.
I already have talisman (which I'd agree plays too slowly to be much fun), and I have the actual boardgame of dominion so I'm mainly curious about Star Realms & Scrolls. What do people think? Worth getting for just solo play?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10600 on: January 22, 2015, 07:49:40 pm »

So, I just noticed that card bundle thing and with just 11 hours left I need to decide tonight.
Just to note, I think you misread the countdown, that is 11 days left not 11 hours.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10601 on: January 22, 2015, 08:23:44 pm »

I don't usually like multiplayer games though and I don't have a reliable internet connection anyway. Looking online, it seems that a lot of the games do have singleplayer modes, but it's not so clear if they're actually fun to play single-player.
I already have talisman (which I'd agree plays too slowly to be much fun), and I have the actual boardgame of dominion so I'm mainly curious about Star Realms & Scrolls. What do people think? Worth getting for just solo play?

Star Realms uses a single deck with 5 or 6 cards face up to buy from. Some cards are money, health, or damage to the enemy. You have infinite buys. Go nuts. Cards are allied to various races and have bonuses if you play them in the same hand. You can get the Android app and play easy solo mode for free.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10602 on: January 22, 2015, 10:05:40 pm »

Thanks guys. Don't know how I missed that. Gives me a bit of time to try it out and have a think then.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10603 on: January 23, 2015, 11:55:07 pm »

i could not get the Scrolls launcher to work in XP  :-[ bad certificate error
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10604 on: January 24, 2015, 06:28:07 am »

I've got a new coupon, 66% off Eversion. Up for grabs if anyone wants it.
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 1134