Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Obama administration kicks his own guy for saying turture is bad, m'kay?  (Read 9527 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Except, they have no incentive to change and every incentive to keep it the same.

The effectiveness of the national compact movement gives me some hope.  Basically, a large majority of Americans have supported abolishing the electoral college for decades if not more then a century.  But about 6 years ago, an eccentric millionaire actually decided to put some money behind the idea and so far, 25% of the needed states have signed on and many more have had one of more of their legislative houses pass the compact.  I think there's a decent chance that we'll see the compact accepted nationwide in the next couple decades.
http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

So I think the lesson is that electoral reform is possible if the public likes an idea because while there isn't a strong lobby for it, there aren't many people with a strong interest against it either.  I wouldn't consider it impossible that the US would move to a more proportional system, given that nobody left, right or center likes our current system.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Except, they have no incentive to change and every incentive to keep it the same.

The effectiveness of the national compact movement gives me some hope.  Basically, a large majority of Americans have supported abolishing the electoral college for decades if not more then a century.  But about 6 years ago, an eccentric millionaire actually decided to put some money behind the idea and so far, 25% of the needed states have signed on and many more have had one of more of their legislative houses pass the compact.  I think there's a decent chance that we'll see the compact accepted nationwide in the next couple decades.
http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

So I think the lesson is that electoral reform is possible if the public likes an idea because while there isn't a strong lobby for it, there aren't many people with a strong interest against it either.  I wouldn't consider it impossible that the US would move to a more proportional system, given that nobody left, right or center likes our current system.

Except, of course, that this proposal in no way threatens the power structure of the established parties and STILL only has 25% of the needed support. And in my opinion, there's nothing actually WRONG with the electoral college, if it worked the way it was supposed to. But everyone ignores the way it's supposed to work, and the only reason they bother keeping it is to abuse it into giving the "battleground states" more power.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile

Well, at least the rest of the world gets more reliable news sources about USA than americans get.  Acting condescending might make you look dumb.

You have a large amount of experience with news sources all over the world?

And I wasn't being condescending. I was being sarcastic.

You were being 50 years late.
I have access to most of your news sources and the lobbies at work in the US are also at work in the EU and in Belgium (Our capital is also the capital of Europe) so I don't have much more work to do to largely figure out American politics, at least on the large scale.
Beside, America decision are being watched form everywhere in the world and everyone outside of US have usually at least a basic knowledge of how your political system work.
And last but not least, I have a few relative that lived in the US  for a while, so it's yet another way for me to gather information on your country.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Vigilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Except, of course, that this proposal in no way threatens the power structure of the established parties and STILL only has 25% of the needed support. And in my opinion, there's nothing actually WRONG with the electoral college, if it worked the way it was supposed to. But everyone ignores the way it's supposed to work, and the only reason they bother keeping it is to abuse it into giving the "battleground states" more power.

There's everything wrong with the electoral college in that it was never supposed to exist in it's current form in the first place. But don't feel too bad. The mechanism people at the Consitutional Convention wanted for electing the president was pretty dumb too. There was some idea of a body of men of 'exceptional wisdom' that'd get together and elect the president. They also toyed with the idea of Congress electing him. Both of these ideas, and basically everything else proposed, couldn't get a majority vote. In the end they just kinda said 'screw it' and said the president would be elected by electors determined by the states.

From there we had some random state and federal law, and supreme court rulings, that eventually made the system what it is today. It's a hacked together thing, which is why we've repeatedly had craziness due to ties, 'winners' that lost the popular vote, safe states, etc.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 03:56:23 pm by Vigilant »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

They actually did implement the idea of having Congress decide the president.  That's what the law still says happens if the electoral college doesn't arrive at a majority decision.  The founding fathers didn't expect that the electoral college would always arrive at a majority decision.

We have come pretty close a few times though.  The 1968 election could have gone to the house if Humphrey had just gotten a few more votes in New Jersey and Ohio.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You were being 50 years late.
I have access to most of your news sources and the lobbies at work in the US are also at work in the EU and in Belgium (Our capital is also the capital of Europe) so I don't have much more work to do to largely figure out American politics, at least on the large scale.
Beside, America decision are being watched form everywhere in the world and everyone outside of US have usually at least a basic knowledge of how your political system work.
And last but not least, I have a few relative that lived in the US  for a while, so it's yet another way for me to gather information on your country.

Impressive. Worded in a creepy way but impressive nonetheless.

I am never late. Nor am I early. I arrive precisely when I mean to.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

I wouldn't be surprised to see Palin parachute into a rally with a giant flag parachute, firing an assault rifle that shoots tiny statues of Jesus riding a bald eagle.

This thread can be closed now.  It's fulfilled its purpose, which was to produce this quote.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wouldn't be surprised to see Palin parachute into a rally with a giant flag parachute, firing an assault rifle that shoots tiny statues of Jesus riding a bald eagle.

This thread can be closed now.  It's fulfilled its purpose, which was to produce this quote.

The prophecy has been fullfilled!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

Urist..., it's actually really common for other countries to know more about our politics than we do.  Our country is vastly the exception when it comes to not knowing a ton about other countries' internal workings.  That and our news sucks anyway.  Example:  Try following the Middle Eastern + Northern African revolutions in our news...good luck getting accurate news.  Then try Al Jazeera and be amazed.  Next, look at how Al Jazeera is portrayed across all our media:  You would think they were nothing but a terrorist front, because uh...well, I'm pretty sure they've been outright called that by our own politicians.

So yeah.  Other countries often know more about us (and pretty damn near everything else) than we know about ourselves.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Urist..., it's actually really common for other countries to know more about our politics than we do.  Our country is vastly the exception when it comes to not knowing a ton about other countries' internal workings.  That and our news sucks anyway.  Example:  Try following the Middle Eastern + Northern African revolutions in our news...good luck getting accurate news.  Then try Al Jazeera and be amazed.  Next, look at how Al Jazeera is portrayed across all our media:  You would think they were nothing but a terrorist front, because uh...well, I'm pretty sure they've been outright called that by our own politicians.

So yeah.  Other countries often know more about us (and pretty damn near everything else) than we know about ourselves.

Here we go again...

You have lots of knowledge about other countries, including the knowledge of the citizens?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile

Here we go again...

You have lots of knowledge about other countries, including the knowledge of the citizens?
Due to how American TV saturates the Canadian market, I am more well versed on American law than I am in Canadian law. I am acutely aware of all of the finer points of American politics. I can, at any time of the day, watch any American news station that you can.

And then when I try to link Americans to the Canadian equivalent of Jon Steward, all they get are "this program is blocked in your country" errors. HMM.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Considering my country has jack o know about, yeah.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

I can't imagine Jon Stewart in another country.  His technique is so apropos to the American flavor of political dysfunction.  It would be like if Monty Python were American.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile

This happens to be the Jon Stewart equivalent I was talking about in my last post.

I just meant it in a "making fun of politics and politicians" sense.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here we go again...

Due to how American TV saturates the Canadian market, I am more well versed on American law than I am in Canadian law. I am acutely aware of all of the finer points of American politics. I can, at any time of the day, watch any American news station that you can.

And then when I try to link Americans to the Canadian equivalent of Jon Steward, all they get are "this program is blocked in your country" errors. HMM.

Logically this must mean Canadian TV is no good.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7