Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Obama administration kicks his own guy for saying turture is bad, m'kay?  (Read 9531 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyone remember the State Department spokesperson PJ Crowley, who was defending the government actions and everything being done about Wikileaks, etc? Well, he came out a few days ago and kinda suggested that perhaps, kinda, maybe torturing Manning wasn't very nice and wasn't such a smart idea. And guess what happened: Obama fired him. Yes, the US goverment gets angry at people that diss torture. Why can't we have fun anymore?

Don't diss the torture, yo dawg, it gets results! Waterboarding and isolated confinement and miniature american flags for everybody!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So does it actually matter who we vote for anymore?

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile

So does it actually matter who we vote for anymore?
Yup, If you vote for the republicans you're masochist, if you vote for the democrats you're dumb.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Meh....it's more about everybody staying on the same page. I mean, there's just an unwritten rule that as a member of the executive branch, you don't criticize other elements of that same branch in public.

The last thing you want is a public pissing match between the State Department and the Pentagon, two chunks of the government which are classic rivals.

Still, it's disappointing. I had hoped he'd just get a verbal slap, because the action sends exactly the wrong message, as indicated by this thread.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

It's not directly disagreeing with the executive branch, though.  Pretty sure the Obama administration was against torture at some point.

On another note, I found this article interesting.
The marines confirmed that Bradley Manning was made to relinquish his boxer shorts for about seven hours due to a "situationally driven" event.
It's not so much that it's cruel, but more that I can't think of any "situationally driven" event that would require you to give up your underwear.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile

Don't diss the torture, yo dawg, it gets results! Waterboarding and isolated confinement and miniature american flags for everybody!
Thats stupid, everyone needs life size american flags, the miniatures are for wimps.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

It's not directly disagreeing with the executive branch, though.  Pretty sure the Obama administration was against torture at some point.

But then that implies that the Pentagon is directly acting in opposition to the wishes of the Commander-in-Chief. Which is why you don't want these kind of fights in public, because:

A. It implies that the President can't control his own people.
B. It leads to very uncomfortable questions from the press which try to get the President (or his spokesman) to publicly pick a side and alienate whichever agency, department, etc. is on the losing side of the equation.

On another note, I found this article interesting.
The marines confirmed that Bradley Manning was made to relinquish his boxer shorts for about seven hours due to a "situationally driven" event.
It's not so much that it's cruel, but more that I can't think of any "situationally driven" event that would require you to give up your underwear.
Perhaps if they were so soiled that they weren't fit for wearing? I dunno....I have little sympathy for Manning being incarcerated and grilled, but this is beginning to look outside the pale. Even in the context of the military, where they have a pretty free hand to deal with their own as they see fit.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile

You are not supposed to fire a state dep. spokesperson easily.
Especially as what he's saying is painfully obvious, Manning's condition of detentions are just ridiculous.
I wouldn't allow Ben Laden to be handled like that. Strip him to sleep? What are they trying to do?
This just damage US image for no reason.

Obama is the harshest president on whistle-blowers ever.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A. It implies that the President can't control his own people.

Or that he endorses what they are doing. Either way, it's making the president, and all of us, look bad, and this makes him look even worse.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile

You know if we let the Cthulhu party run things then there would be less torture *hint hint*, wait, that maybe more.
Blargh.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

so who the americans will vote next year?
Desu

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am sorta on the fence about this, on one hand, the op is a pretty blatant twisting of  a slightly twisted article, on the other hand though, I am not nearly optimistic enough to believe his resignation was entirely of his own accord.

Yeah... Going to join the general consensus right now that him quitting was past what was needed.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know if we let the Cthulhu party run things then there would be less torture *hint hint*, wait, that maybe more.
No, that's ritual sacrifices you're thinking of...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am sorta on the fence about this, on one hand, the op is a pretty blatant twisting of  a slightly twisted article, on the other hand though, I am not nearly optimistic enough to believe his resignation was entirely of his own accord.

"Washington (CNN) – P.J. Crowley abruptly resigned Sunday as State Department spokesman over controversial comments he made about the Bradley Manning case.

Sources close to the matter said the resignation, first reported by CNN, came under pressure from the White House, where officials were furious about his suggestion that the Obama administration is mistreating Manning, the Army private who is being held in solitary confinement in Quantico, Virginia, under suspicion that he leaked highly classified State Department cables to the website WikiLeaks."

Source: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/13/state-departments-p-j-crowley-stepping-down/

Blatantly twisting? I think you're blatantly twisting the OP.

You don't "fire" a high profile government official. You "ask for his resignation". Potato, potatoe.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

Obama only said he was against torture before election. everything he has done since then has been pro torture.

As for who am I going to vote for?

Right now the main choices are mild fascism (Dem), strong fascism (Rep) and crazy fascism (Tea)?

I think I'll pencil in Cthulhu, just to make a point.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7