Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70119 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #510 on: March 15, 2011, 07:35:43 pm »

I can't help but think of the similarities to the horrible finale of Fallout 3 where despite wearing an anti-radiation suit and downing half a dozen anti-radiation pills you instantly die anyway...

But yeah, if we had stuff that easily and totally protected from ionizing radiation, we wouldn't make such a fuss about cosmic rays in matters of manned interplanetary travel.
Why constructing space ships in space would be so much better and cost effective.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 15, 2011, 07:36:05 pm »

Yahoo has at their main page that the fire at the plant is out, but they don't have a link to a source yet.

Edit: The Nikkei is up over 6% right now.  That's a good sign that some of the panic may be abating.

I know it could look a bit callous to follow the financial markets at a time like this, but they are a good gauge of fear.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:47:56 pm by Bouchart »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 15, 2011, 07:52:06 pm »

It's probably a watermark of trading's irrationality, but I wouldn't take it for much else. Much of the trading right now is utterly predatory, and is going to flip on every development. Including market reports.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 15, 2011, 07:54:22 pm »

It's probably a watermark of trading's irrationality, but I wouldn't take it for much else. Much of the trading right now is utterly predatory, and is going to flip on every development. Including market reports.

Highly possible.

Anyway I don't see that blurb on Yahoo anymore.  May have been inaccurate?  No way of knowing.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 15, 2011, 08:00:21 pm »

http://en.rian.ru/world/20110315/163009589.html

I can't vouch for the integrity of this source.

Edit: Ok now the story is up on Yahoo.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/ts_nm/us_japan_quake
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 08:10:12 pm by Bouchart »

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 15, 2011, 09:04:41 pm »

One man's advice to a family member who is in Sendai right now. Not a government source, an expert talking to a relative with advice on how to deal with this.

-->Greg as you know I have expertise in this area since I have worked in the nuclear field for over thirty years. Here's my perspective -- This is a very serious situation but not the disaster that it is being made out to be especially in the US press. This situation is not at all like Chernobyl where there was no containment at all with a graphite cooled reactor that burned for weeks uncontrolled. There is so much misinformation being spread by the media. For example, there was no fire in the Unit 4 spent fuel pool as reported by the media. Instead the fire was an oil fire associated with one of the cooling pumps for the pool. Although there are some indications that part of the Unit 2 reactor cooling system has been damaged, there is nothing indicating containment has been compromised. Radiation levels are steadily decreasing. The last reported reading ONSITE was about 60 millirem/hr, which is a dose rate that is routinely seen in areas within normally operating plants. This dose rate is not alarming or extraordinary. For biological effects to occur, a human needs to be subjected to a dose in the range of 50 to 100 rem or 50,000 - 100,000 millirem. The highest dose received by a worker was 10.8 rem, which shouldn't result in long term issues for them. Again the key word here is that the dose rates being reported are at the plant site. Three things are important when it comes to radiation protection - time, distance and shielding. Since everyone is evacuated to a radius of 30 miles, there is essentially ZERO chance of anyone in the public receiving a dose that is health significant. Again, I am not downplaying the situation. It is the most serious situation that this industry has faced since Chernobyl, where workers received lethal doses in the order of several THOUSAND rem and nearby residents recieved doses in excess of one hundred rem. Expect releases to continue since the plants will continue venting containment - as they have to do. For accurate information, please check out the following websites:

www.iaea.org
www.nei.org
www.world-nuclear-news.org

MY thoughts go out to everyone dealing with this terrible tragedy. Take care of yourself Greg. Stay safe and warm. I think of you often.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 15, 2011, 09:15:22 pm »

One man's advice to a family member who is in Sendai right now. Not a government source, an expert talking to a relative with advice on how to deal with this.

-->Greg as you know I have expertise in this area since I have worked in the nuclear field for over thirty years. Here's my perspective -- This is a very serious situation but not the disaster that it is being made out to be especially in the US press. This situation is not at all like Chernobyl where there was no containment at all with a graphite cooled reactor that burned for weeks uncontrolled. There is so much misinformation being spread by the media. For example, there was no fire in the Unit 4 spent fuel pool as reported by the media. Instead the fire was an oil fire associated with one of the cooling pumps for the pool. Although there are some indications that part of the Unit 2 reactor cooling system has been damaged, there is nothing indicating containment has been compromised. Radiation levels are steadily decreasing. The last reported reading ONSITE was about 60 millirem/hr, which is a dose rate that is routinely seen in areas within normally operating plants. This dose rate is not alarming or extraordinary. For biological effects to occur, a human needs to be subjected to a dose in the range of 50 to 100 rem or 50,000 - 100,000 millirem. The highest dose received by a worker was 10.8 rem, which shouldn't result in long term issues for them. Again the key word here is that the dose rates being reported are at the plant site. Three things are important when it comes to radiation protection - time, distance and shielding. Since everyone is evacuated to a radius of 30 miles, there is essentially ZERO chance of anyone in the public receiving a dose that is health significant. Again, I am not downplaying the situation. It is the most serious situation that this industry has faced since Chernobyl, where workers received lethal doses in the order of several THOUSAND rem and nearby residents recieved doses in excess of one hundred rem. Expect releases to continue since the plants will continue venting containment - as they have to do. For accurate information, please check out the following websites:

www.iaea.org
www.nei.org
www.world-nuclear-news.org

MY thoughts go out to everyone dealing with this terrible tragedy. Take care of yourself Greg. Stay safe and warm. I think of you often.
sounds like Everything Is Ok, pretty much. except for it being a major problem.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 15, 2011, 09:18:44 pm »

sounds like Everything Is Ok, pretty much. except for it being a major problem.
...not sure I see the connection...
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 15, 2011, 09:36:13 pm »

Live international television now reporting: a spokesman from the Japanese government has said the last-resort workers at the Fukushima reactor are being evacuated, the radiation levels are simply too high to stay.  Exact details are not forthcoming, but there's only so many possibilities of why this would be.  The facility is being left unmanned, with hoses and pumps hopefully keeping water on the reactor, which has now so thoroughly damaged its vessel that the water can't stay contained.  Plumes of steam are blowing out of the structure.

The safety zone is roughly 30 miles in diameter - 12 miles of "Get the Hell out while you can", and 20 miles of "Stay indoors or leave, just avoid particulate".
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 15, 2011, 09:48:46 pm »

Not looking good.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 15, 2011, 09:51:07 pm »

What went wrong with the final containment?

*Insert plug for CANDU reactors here.*
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 15, 2011, 10:33:36 pm »

There's a complete lack of new news.  Not good.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 15, 2011, 10:49:18 pm »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 15, 2011, 10:54:12 pm »

http://live.reuters.com/Event/Japan_earthquake2
They went back....

No indication of whether they went back because radiation levels fell, or if it's a suicide mission...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 15, 2011, 10:55:52 pm »

http://live.reuters.com/Event/Japan_earthquake2
They went back....

No indication of whether they went back because radiation levels fell, or if it's a suicide mission...

Japan nuclear agency: Evacuation order of plant workers lifted at 0230 GMT after radiation falls
i looked below
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 54