Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Odd Dreams  (Read 2823 times)

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Odd Dreams
« on: March 11, 2011, 12:04:22 am »

We've all the occasional odd dream, some odder that others, but a few stand out as the cream of the crop. Dreams that make us wake up in cold sweats, forcing us to ask ourselves, "Honking baboons, what the hell did I eat?" I want to hear yours, from the blackest corridors of your disturbed minds, to the Bay12Forums.

I've had a few, myself.

It's some time in the winter cold months. I'm walking on the ocean, when I come across a raven, lying on the water. I flip it over and sure enough it's still breathing. I take him to shore and somewhere along the way home I end up in a midnight black suit and fedora, smoking a cigar and flipping a poker chip. The crow sits on my shoulder, he is also smoking a (miniature) cigar. I enter my home, an alpaca sits on my couch watching a game of basketball on an oversized crystal ball sitting in the middle of my living room. I grab a pair of needles and begin knitting sweaters from his wool (while it's still attached to him). Sometime later I end up riding him through the streets and handing out the sweaters to paupers. For some reason, the road ahead is littered with dead newts. The paupers fill entire buckets with them. I nudge the alpaca with my spurs and he takes off at what was at least 100 miles per hour. I ride him off of a cliff, inexplicably my dream freeze framed and the credits begin to roll before I wake up.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Odd Dreams
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 12:16:47 am »

I have a lot of strange dreams.

In one of the stranger ones I was with the titular Trailer Park Boys. We hatched a crazy scheme to steal a submarine then took it to some glacier-filled ocean. There we used a giant bendy straw to fill the submarine with syrup which had collected in pockets in the ice. No idea how that worked. It was apparently a profitable racket.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 01:09:11 am »

Well, if you listen to Sigmund Freud, basically any dream that you have means you want to have sex.

At least, that's what I learned from a college psychology book.

On a serious note, try taking notes about your dreams and they'll occur (Or you'll remember them) more frequently.  I've had plenty of odd dreams, ranging from getting married on the telephone to receiving advice from a gigantic owl (Odd for me, since animals very rarely appear in my dreams, but they're usually sentient when they do).  I'll pull up my dream journal and share some of the stranger ones when/if I get a chance.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 01:38:34 am »

I've had a dream setting where my town was rendered like a water park. Sidewalks were lazy rivers, grass was those odd rubbery floors, roads were raft rides, even the beach had a wave generator on the horizon, and the sand was pool surface material instead of actual sand. Let's just say, somehow my brain made the entire infrastructure work. On a funny in-theme note, restaurants and etc. were setup as you would see them in said waterpark. This is stuff my brain does when it's bored.

I can imagine high-speed chases would be interesting to watch.

Other dreams I have usually end up being me going GMOD on reality and screwing around with physics. Basic stuff really, like freezer-burning things, where you light something on fire and it becomes frozen solid. You can hear the law of thermodynamics crying. However, in a weird context, it makes sense. The fire is sucking the heat out of the target.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 01:43:38 am by Itnetlolor »

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 02:15:57 am »

I had this one dream, where I was (among other things fantastic) sitting at an ethereal bar sipping on a pint.  My mate and I were munching down feverishly on a plate of some little delicious tidbits, of something I couldn't determine the taste of exactly. 

I offered a plate to the gruff pool-shark next to me, feeling generous.  And he replied in an inner-city London accent, thick as pea soup and somewhat irritated, "Do I look like I need any f**kin' chicken brains?"  And he turned back to his game.

How rude.  Clearly that's what it was we were snacking on... I must try that sometime.
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 02:54:13 pm »

My real last thread in general discussion.

I had a dream in which I was trying to catch Santa Claus. In a flooded town. I was later arrested for attempting to catch Santa Claus. Despite the fact that there was a reward for him. I later escaped to the roof of the prison. The flooding got much worse. Then I woke up.

ThatOneSock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 04:46:40 pm »

I had a oddity of a dream when i was walking through a nickelodeon set and to my right was spongebob sitting in a pool of swirling chocolate milk and yelling "theres no more chocolate milk!"

no one believes me but my girlfriend eh

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 04:55:57 pm »

receiving advice from a gigantic owl
???
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't remember my dreams much anymore but when I was really young I dreamt that my mom was some flesh-eating bat, it scared the hell out of me, especially since my usual strategy of blinking to wake up from nightmares wasn't working.
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 08:00:24 pm »

I had a dream where I was in Japan, in a smoothie shop, and I was (What else?) buying a smoothie. After spending a long time trying to find the blender, I blended my smoothie, then put a plastic lid on it. Then the lid turned into a paper lid, so I put on a new one. I spent an hour raging at the lids for turning into paper, and then it finally stayed plastic. Then me and some Japanese dude were eating smoothies together, and he suggested that I wear a hat while I eat smoothies. So, I measured my head, and custom ordered a hat. And what was that hat made of? Well, in true Dwarf Fortress spirit, it was made of... cat leather.

What does it mean?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 10:01:32 pm »

I had a dream where I was in Japan, in a smoothie shop, and I was (What else?) buying a smoothie. After spending a long time trying to find the blender, I blended my smoothie, then put a plastic lid on it. Then the lid turned into a paper lid, so I put on a new one. I spent an hour raging at the lids for turning into paper, and then it finally stayed plastic. Then me and some Japanese dude were eating smoothies together, and he suggested that I wear a hat while I eat smoothies. So, I measured my head, and custom ordered a hat. And what was that hat made of? Well, in true Dwarf Fortress spirit, it was made of... cat leather.

What does it mean?

Lust for your mother. Duh.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 10:04:24 pm »

What does it mean?

Lust for your mother. Duh.

Oh, of course. I should have seen that one. I just got confuse by it not having anything to do with that. I won't make the same oversight anymore.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 10:05:54 pm »

Oh, of course. I should have seen that one. I just got confuse by it not having anything to do with that. I won't make the same oversight anymore.

Hey, read a book man. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oedipus_complex

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 10:53:23 pm »

I had a dream that the Unification Church had me arrested and thrown in jail for trying to leave.  A little bit afterwards, I realized they didn't have the authority to do that and calmly waltzed out of my jail cell.  :P

My dreams tend to have that weird theme where if something weird happens, my sheer disbelief causes it to fail.  Like, whenever I have magic powers, they only work if I concentrate on "believing" hard enough.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 11:16:18 pm »

My dreams tend to have that weird theme where if something weird happens, my sheer disbelief causes it to fail.
Hint: You are, for all intents and purposes, omnipotent in your dreams. Your will does not effect dream-reality, your will is dream-reality.

Anyway, I myself have had dreams that I can't even really put into words. I remember dreaming about a flying red cone, once. For some reason, this dream was also a nightmare. Don't ask me why a flying red cone is terrifying in my dreams, because I don't know either.

Other dreams include:
-Dwarf Fortress/Cthulhu Mythos Crossover (Nightmare)
-The Stars Beoming Right Again AKA Cthulhu Rising (Nightmare)
-Slenderman Mythos (Nightmare)
-Seeing a Dream-Andrew Hussie and gaining a moment of self-awareness before waking up (Lucid)
-Having my school taken over by Kim-Jong-Il and being sent to a labor/death camp run by my teachers (Disturbing Nightmare [How disturbing? I woke up in physical pain and stayed home from school that day. It was not a fun night.])
-Having my computer be infected with a virus (that also altered my reality) and being verbally attacked by my parents for several hours for all my faults (Dream that became a Disturbing Nightmare)
-Being a Private Eye investigating a murder while being stalked by a killer gorrila. (Nightmare) [Also the only dream I've ever had that featured A: an Alternate Ending and B: The classic "voices in real life appearing in the dream" thing, as I fell asleep with a headset on and one of my friends was yelling at me over Xbox Live.]
-Static. Yes, just static. For. Seven. Hours. (Undefined)
-Nearly riding my bike into crocodile infested waters (Recurring Nightmare)
-Being killed/murdered in various horrible ways (Various Nightmares [As in, a group, not one nightmare.])

...yeah, now that I think about it, I get nightmares far more than anything else. I also tend to wake up with a splitting headache (as in, directly down the center of my skull) on nights I have nightmares, which is most nights.

EDIT: This is also somewhat on topic.
When I was 8, I once woke up in the middle of the night. Under my bed. My bed that was very close to the ground, so that there was less than an inch between my head and the metal frame, as I discovered when I attempted to get up and find out why my room was in total darkness instead of mostly darkness. Of course, I did what was the most calm and rational course of act-Oh, wait, I just proceeded to freak the fuck out at being trapped under my bed. It took a good amount of force to get out from under there, and to this day I have no idea how I managed it while asleep.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 11:28:42 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 11:23:19 pm »

-Having my school taken over by Kim-Jong-Il and being sent to a labor/death camp run by my teachers (Disturbing Nightmare [How disturbing? I woke up in physical pain and stayed home from school that day. It was not a fun night.])
I've had that same dream, actually. Except for the part about Kim-Jong-Il. We just left school one day, and arrived at a death camp. I didn't find it all that disturbing, though. But then, the ethics of society don't very well match up with mine. Does that mean I belong in an asylum?
Pages: [1] 2